2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

I will be interested to see what further action is taken by the ATP, will he be allowed to play at Roland Garros this year for starters? this kind of behavior is not acceptable and the ATP has to take a stronger stance in my opinion, than just issuing a fine and a rap on the knuckles

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I watched the match live
Ymer waited to see where his shot landed then wanted the umpire to check the mark? umpire correctly refused to step down and the ball was clearly on the line that's . check the bounce
Ymer's reaction wasnt as bad as Zverev, though it is still unacceptable full stop
Note,
Electronic call on clay will happen from 2025, there will be a margin for error, though there will be an objective rule that won't depend on the umpire's will.

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What I don’t understand is why the Chair didn’t bother to check the mark.
I was wondering the same thing. Lazy bastard could just go down and check, they sometimes check the routine marks just to confirm.

Ymer deserved to be disqualified after what he did, but part of the guilt is on the umpire as he basically provoked the player in a crucial moments of the set.

I think last week Layani made a bad call in Rune - Djokovic match and during the rant after Rune was saying something like it's always me looking like a bad guy, but I did nothing wrong.

As far as I know hawk will be used everywhere on clay from 2025, until then there will be human errors. But interestingly whole Rome tournament there was so many different calls between umpires who see a real mark and hawk eye and you get confused who to thrust. Hawk eye technology on clay is still not perfect from what I hear.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Don Fabio,

I am not a fan of electronic hawk eye on clay at all , I have interviewed a top umpire regarding that, he is also against it and also a lines person, in my view the umpire made the correct call, a player cannot wait to see where his shot lands and then ask for a umpire to come and check the mark it was clearly in,,it is the same thing when a player is on a HC and wants to challenge after he waits too long to see where the ball lands, then asks for a challenge or ask his box first if the shot was out

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was wondering the same thing. Lazy bastard could just go down and check, they sometimes check the routine marks just to confirm.

Ymer deserved to be disqualified after what he did, but part of the guilt is on the umpire as he basically provoked the player in a crucial moments of the set.

I think last week Layani made a bad call in Rune - Djokovic match and during the rant after Rune was saying something like it's always me looking like a bad guy, but I did nothing wrong.

As far as I know hawk will be used everywhere on clay from 2025, until then there will be human errors. But interestingly whole Rome tournament there was so many different calls between umpires who see a real mark and hawk eye and you get confused who to thrust. Hawk eye technology on clay is still not perfect from what I hear.
There are times when the ball bounces up crazily when it hasn't hit the line. On this ocassion the chair was basically saying to the player “I dont care if you see a mark, im not getting up.”

Last week i remember a call where the chair babbled on how the ball apparently skidded when it hit the mark and aerial hawkeye showed the ball landing several inches out.

Nothing is 100% garaunteed accurate but having automated line calling reduces the uncertainty for the player without these emotional tirades we see on clay.

On HC Haweye isnt 100% accurate either but less far less expended wasteful energy on disputed line calls .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
2 times defending champ Casper Ruud d JJ wold to reach the QFs in Geneva
He is now 17-0 in Swiss clay tournaments
9-0 in Geneva (2 titles)
8-0 in Gstaad ( 2 titles)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Told ya to get your popcorn ready

Ymer deserved to be disqualifed, people trying to make excuses for his behavior is unacceptable, though the weak ATP will probably just issue him a fine.
See AP you dont have to save the rain forest after all lol! Drama finds tennis again!
I have seen plenty of clay matches, where an umpire is in good vision to call a line, whether the ball was in or out,? they dont have to come down all the time to check the mark? in this instance the ball was clearly on the line, and Ymer waited to see if his shot landed in or not?, then wanted a challenge? umpire clearly saw it and made the correct decision, Ymer lost his serve and then lost his temper, you cannot blame the umpire in this instance at all.I will wait to see what further action the ATP takes

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Ymer deserved to be disqualifed, people trying to make excuses for his behavior is unacceptable, though the weak ATP will probably just issue him a fine.
See AP you dont have to save the rain forest after all lol! Drama finds tennis again!
Yes Miss Margaret, Ymer is gonna loose a lot of dinero over this incident. However, Ymer was correct, the lazyazz umpire should have gotten his azz out of the chair to mark..

Years ago, I was playing a USTA match playing in a mens doubles match. There was some nepotism for our opponents who were the top seeded team but my partner and I was taking them to the woodshed. The umpire called a center line foot fault on a crucial point on my serve. I approached the umpire to ask why he didnt issue me a warning. He was being an azz and this carry on for the rest of the match. Later after a series of bad calls, I purposely hit the ball out of frustration towards the fence but it came close to the umpire. He claimed I was tying to target him and my response was " Ed, You know if I really wanted to hit you in the head with the ball at this distance I cant miss your big head." Ed disqualified me and my partner , defaulted the match and later put me on temporary suspension for the rest of the Summer. The umpire was actually a good friend of my mixed doubles partner and we settled things a few weeks later. Things happen in the heat of battle.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
QFs in Geneva ( Griekspoor withdraws, Jarry will now play Ruud in the QFs)

(1) Ruud vs Jarry
(3) Zverev v Wu
(4) Dimitrov v O'Connell
(2) Frirz v Ivashka

QFs Lyon,
(1) FAA vs Fils WC
(3) Paul v Nakashima (8)
(4) Cerundolo vs Draper
(2) Norrie v Baez (6)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes Miss Margaret, Ymer is gonna loose a lot of dinero over this incident. However, Ymer was correct, the lazyazz umpire should have gotten his azz out of the chair to mark..

Years ago, I was playing a USTA match playing in a mens doubles match. There was some nepotism for our opponents who were the top seeded team but my partner and I was taking them to the woodshed. The umpire called a center line foot fault on a crucial point on my serve. I approached the umpire to ask why he didnt issue me a warning. He was being an azz and this carry on for the rest of the match. Later after a series of bad calls, I purposely hit the ball out of frustration towards the fence but it came close to the umpire. He claimed I was tying to target him and my response was " Ed, You know if I really wanted to hit you in the head with the ball at this distance I cant miss your big head." Ed disqualified me and my partner , defaulted the match and later put me on temporary suspension for the rest of the Summer. The umpire was actually a good friend of my mixed doubles partner and we settled things a few weeks later. Things happen in the heat of battle.
I disagree I have seen plenty of clay matches, where the ball was clearly in and a player ask the umpire was it and the umpire did not leave his chair? the umpire wasnt lazy in this instance, he clearly saw it, Ymer waited to see Where His Ball Landed then asked the umpire? it is like on a HC, if you want a challenge you cant wait or ask your box if the shot was in or out., you have to challenge straight away
Please Ymer lost control and carried on like a brat smashing his racquet on the umpires chair and now it is the umpires fault? dont make me laugh.We will have to agree to disagree on this, I suppose the outrage to the umpire by Zverev was also the umpires fault lol!

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nothing is 100% garaunteed accurate but having automated line calling reduces the uncertainty for the player without these emotional tirades we see on clay.
That is why I think it's probably the best for the players to have one standard on all surfaces, have a hawk eye and remove the possibility of players arguing with umpires. Every year on clay season is the same, sometimes players argue if the umpire is checking a correct mark.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Reactions: don_fabio

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
When I get a chance I will post my interview with umpire regarding his thoughts regarding Electronic Line Calling on clay, it is in my archvies somewhere, I have posted at TF here before, Personally speaking there are too many variables on clay, different clay courts, bounces etc, it is also my understanding once a call is made by the ELC a umpire cannot over rule on clay, if the ELO is incorrect. ( I did this interview for an American tennis website tennis.now) also I did one with a lines person on the same subject
Lines people will become a thing of the past when ELC comes in, so how are people going to get their umpires badges in the future, because being a lines person, say for awhile is the first step to become a umpire?

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
If the players or the umpire rubbed out those close marks around the lines as they happen, it would help when a new ball bounces there. Then you wouldn't have the chair arguing that the ball bounced inside an old mark so that means it caught and therefore is good.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When I get a chance I will post my interview with umpire regarding his thoughts regarding Electronic Line Calling on clay, it is in my archvies somewhere, I have posted at TF here before, Personally speaking there are too many variables on clay, different clay courts, bounces etc, it is also my understanding once a call is made by the ELC a umpire cannot over rule on clay, if the ELO is incorrect. ( I did this interview for an American tennis website tennis.now) also I did one with a lines person on the same subject
Lines people will become a thing of the past when ELC comes in, so how are people going to get their umpires badges in the future, because being a lines person, say for awhile is the first step to become a umpire?
To say that claycourt line judging must continue solely for someone to become an umpire begs the issue; the majority of tournaments are played on HC these days, where automated line judging has already been implemented, and as I understand it, it has already been implemented on grass tournaments too.

So clearly, another way to train future umpires has to happen.

I'm not always thrilled when humans are replaced by machinery/technology; unfortunately this has been going on since the start of the industrial revolution. See many elevator attendants these days?

It has been already widely discussed that human line calling on red clay courts is far from flawless or automatically reliable. Even deciding on which is the specific mark, if the ball skidded somewhat, or if the chair deigns to even get out of the chair if he/she thinks it's clearly proven when the understandably biased player looking at the mark screams "come see how you are wrong!!", or if a crazy bounce derives from more than hitting a line, etc, etc. are what devolves into some of arguments that bog down a match on the terre bateurre.

So IMO the player will probably reconcile themselves to a automatic line calling on claycourts simply because there will be a consistent standard applied for every point. They used it in Madrid Masters already, no? Again, nobody claims that any system implemented will be 100 % reliable or accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.