2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well said. I think the game lost something when linesmen and lineswomen were removed from duty. Technology was only meant to be a back up, and now it’s completely taking over? The sport is better to watch when it still has some sense of the old way of doing things. Argument and dispute won’t go away just because of Hawkeye, which in fairness has been a great success. Disputes on clay because of marks on the ground? I love it! Leave things as they were, in terms of the brave ladies and gents waving the ball out, and ducking and screaming while they do s
Good points..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Young Arthur Fils beat F. Cerundolo in the Lyon Final, 6-3, 7-5; Jarry leads Dimitrov in the Geneva final 7-6(1), 4-0.

EDIT: Jarry did it. 6-0 in the 2nd.

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Young Arthur Fils beat F. Cerundolo in the Lyon Final, 6-3, 7-5; Jarry leads Dimitrov in the Geneva final 7-6(1), 4-0.

EDIT: Jarry did it. 6-0 in the 2nd.
Well Nicolas won 6-1 in the 2nd. Beat 3 top players in consecutive matches, no “lucky” draw for him.

Did not realize Nichols Jarry is the grandson of the Chilean player Jaime Filliol from way back. Jaime was the face of Chilean tennis for years.

Dang I feel old.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That has to have been in 2005, right? Margaret, I see our attention to detail is not so sharp today. (I got the score in Geneva wrong.) :lol6:
Oops yes I will correct
Also in 5 months Fils has gone from world no 251 to world no 63 when the new rankings come out on Monday
Remember Fils vs ADF in RG in R1

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Swedish tennis player Mikael Ymer was docked a total of 37,370 euros ( about $40,000) after being disqualified for smashing his racket against the umpires chair at the Lyon tournament a week before the French Open.An ATP spokesman said Ymer forfeited the 9,980 euros (a bout $10,500) in prize money and 20 ranking points he earned for reaching the 2nd round. ATP Fines Committee will conduct a review of what happended to determine whether any additional penalties are warranted.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Swedish tennis player Mikael Ymer was docked a total of 37,370 euros ( about $40,000) after being disqualified for smashing his racket against the umpires chair at the Lyon tournament a week before the French Open.An ATP spokesman said Ymer forfeited the 9,980 euros (a bout $10,500) in prize money and 20 ranking points he earned for reaching the 2nd round. ATP Fines Committee will conduct a review of what happended to determine whether any additional penalties are warranted.
He got off lightly, I watched that incident. Complete lunatic meltdown…

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree that he went on too strong. But I also think that the umpire was arrogant and not reading the scene. He could so easily have gone to look at the mark and unheated the situation.
I think umpires try keep their distance in some situations, not get pushed around by players, but yeah, there’s times when they know the player is on the edge and they have to give a bit of leeway. It’s a pity for Ymer, nobody wants to reach that stage where they lose it completely. Hopefully a learning moment there for him…

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I agree that he went on too strong. But I also think that the umpire was arrogant and not reading the scene. He could so easily have gone to look at the mark and unheated the situation.
The umpire refused to look at the mark.He is also responsible for what happened.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well said. I think the game lost something when linesmen and lineswomen were removed from duty. Technology was only meant to be a back up, and now it’s completely taking over? The sport is better to watch when it still has some sense of the old way of doing things. Argument and dispute won’t go away just because of Hawkeye, which in fairness has been a great success. Disputes on clay because of marks on the ground? I love it! Leave things as they were, in terms of the brave ladies and gents waving the ball out, and ducking and screaming while they do so…
That's a lovely Luddite position, but it's losing momentum, particularly based on the many times that the lines people and umps have gotten it wrong in this clay season...for all the world to see. There was a call today at a crucial moment, that went against Tiafoe, and it was clearly wrong. Far outside of the margin of error. We can say that calls go for and against you, and it basically evens out, which I believe, as with net cords. But watching poor line calling in real time is difficult, and eventually won't be tolerated. I honestly think it moves things along better, and helps keep the players focused. Exploding over a call may make good TV, but it doesn't make good tennis, generally. We learned with Hawkeye that everyone accepted it, and moved on, and I think we're going to find the same with electronic line-calling on clay. I love all of the old-school machinations of tennis, but there are some we're going to have to give up, sad to say.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Christopher Clarey who has been the top tennis reporter from the New York Times and other global newspapers, has left the NYT to pursue and further his writing career, he is now writing a book on Rafa Nadal which is due out sometime in 2024. Chris has now his own tennis website called ' Christopher Clarey's Tennis and Beyond" I have joined up, or you can his fast growing community of free and paid subscribers.I have always been a big fan of Chris's writing and journalism.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Lucas Pouille's home in Rennes was robbed of 600,000 euros worth of valuables. Among the stolen items were jewellery and luxury watches. Sad news, Lucas has been through soo much and just had an inspiring tournament at Roland Garros. Glad he is safe.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sad news for Jack Draper he has withdrawn from all grass tournaments including Wimbledon this year due to shoulder injury, he said he needs to rehab and rest his shoulder? though at present shoulder surgery is not needed, still this young man has to withdraw from soo many tournament this year due to injury, hopefully we will see him in the HC season.

• Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan
Status
Not open for further replies.