2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tsitsipas still hasnt the mental focus to win RG remember when he was up 2 sets to love against Novak and collapsed?
Even though Musetti has the talent again at this stage of his career he can be a headcase, also physically playing 5 sets at RG to me is a big ask

Sinner also collapsed against Djokovic at Wimbledon after being up 2 sets to love. Medvedev too against Nadal at the AO. So things like that happen, but I think Tsitsipas will eventually do well and win a slam and Musetti too, probably both eventually at RG.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Kieran and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sinner also collapsed against Djokovic at Wimbledon after being up 2 sets to love. Medvedev too against Nadal at the AO. So things like that happen, but I think Tsitsipas will eventually do well and win a slam and Musetti too, probably both eventually at RG.
I am talking about this year? I cant see Musetti or Tsitsipas being included to win at RG,
Maybe if either of those 2 would win a GS it would be a RG, down the track
I am not talking about Grass, grass is Sinners worst surface by the way, it was a totally surprise to me he took 2 sets off Novak at Wimby

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am talking about this year? I cant see Musetti or Tsitsipas being included to win at RG,
Maybe if either of those 2 would win a GS it would be a RG, down the track
I am not talking about Grass, grass is Sinners worst surface by the way, it was a totally surprise to me he took 2 sets off Novak at Wimby

I think they can do it too this year. Tsitsipas has 2 masters 1000 on clay and 2 other finals, plus a RG final. Musetti pushed eventual champion Djokovic 2 years ago to the limits at RG before he got injured, and now Musetti is playing even better. They are RG contenders in the same category as Sinner, Medvedev, Rune, but definitely behind Alcaraz.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think they can do it too this year. Tsitsipas has 2 masters 1000 on clay and 2 other finals, plus a RG final. Musetti pushed Djokovic 2 years ago to the limits at RG before he got injured, and now Musetti is playing even better. They are RG contenders in the same category as Sinner, Medvedev, Rune, but definitely behind Alcaraz.
Sinner is not a contender he has been having physical problems, reason he did not play Madrid,did you watch his match against Cerundolo? flat as a tack, you need to be physically fit to win RG.
Stef hasnt the mental abilty to win best of 5 at RG yet, his bhand and bhand slice has to improve
Musetti isnt physically ready to play the best of 5 on clay, mentally his focus at times in matches lets him down
Rune I question his physical ability to win in 5 sets? also his focus lets him down
Medvedev could be a dark horse
Alcaraz would be my top choice, out of those players

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sinner is not a contender he has been having physical problems, reason he did not play Madrid,did you watch his match against Cerundolo? flat as a tack, you need to be physically fit to win RG.
Stef hasnt the mental abilty to win best of 5 at RG yet, his bhand and bhand slice has to improve
Musetti isnt physically ready to play the best of 5 on clay, mentally his focus at times in matches lets him down
Rune I question his physical ability to win in 5 sets? also his focus lets him down
Medvedev could be a dark horse
Alcaraz would be my top choice, out of those players

Yes Alcaraz would be my top choice too like I said. But if the others aren't contenders then we can say that Alcaraz is a "lock" for the title. But he's not. Maybe these players aren't "perfect" contenders but they are the best that we got right now and if Alcaraz isn't on top of his game then one of them can get away with the trophy.

Reactions: Jelenafan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes Alcaraz would be my top choice too like I said. But if the others aren't contenders then we can say that Alcaraz is a "lock" for the title. But he's not. Maybe these players aren't "perfect" contenders but they are the best that we got right now.
Noone at present is a 'lock in' RG as you know is the hardest slam to win, it tests you physically and mentally in a best of 5 matches
It is my favorite tournament, of course there are many contenders, it will be interesting this year to see who will be the last man standing and hold up that magnificent trophy.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tough times for Jensen Brroksby, not only rehabbing his left wrist but having surgery on his right one. It's going to be awhile, Brooksby dosent have a fixed date for return to competition.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow that's harsh and potentially tennis career over.
It is sad, he is only young as well, hard to come back with 2 wrist surgeries, he has been off the tour for awhile, rehabbing his 1st wrist surgery

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tsitsipas still hasnt the mental focus to win RG remember when he was up 2 sets to love against Novak and collapsed?
Even though Musetti has the talent again at this stage of his career he can be a headcase, also physically playing 5 sets at RG to me is a big ask
I don't want to see Tsitispas win it, but I think he's on the list of contenders. He's gotten to the final, same as Ruud, and was a lot closer to the title in his final match. I think folks are more are less assuming that Djokovic will make the final. In his present form, and with an elbow issue, or whatever it is, there is the possibility of upset. With Rafa already out, who'll be the last two on the final Sunday. Well, anyway, we'll get to game it all soon enough. :)

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't want to see Tsitispas win it, but I think he's on the list of contenders. He's gotten to the final, same as Ruud, and was a lot closer to the title in his final match. I think folks are more are less assuming that Djokovic will make the final. In his present form, and with an elbow issue, or whatever it is, there is the possibility of upset. With Rafa already out, who'll be the last two on the final Sunday. Well, anyway, we'll get to game it all soon enough. :)
I take your point with Stef being a contender, but like you he isnt a favorite of mine, he would not be on my top list of contenders? I would not dismiss Novak at all, he knows how to win RG,
Maybe you should start a post of contenders, some posters said Musetti, I think that is too far fetched, physically, he is not up to it, he hasnt won anything on clay of note, to me, Musetti playing a Bo5 at RG at this stage of his career, and also his focus can go in and out, he is not on my list he is not a contender at all? I will also add Sinner to that list, he is having physical problems at present, he said he felt unwell in his match against Cerundolo,in Rome, also he skipped Madrid because of health problems, you have to be at your physical best to get to a final at RG for starters.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I take your point with Stef being a contenders, but like you he isnt a favorite of mine, he would not be on my top list of contenders? I would not dismiss Novak at all, he knows how to win RG,
Maybe you should start a post of contenders, some posters said Musetti, I think that is too far fetched, physically, he is not up to it, he hasnt won anything on clay of note, to me, Musetti playing a Bo5 at RG at this stage of his career, and also his focus can go in and out, he is not on my list he is not a contender at all? I will also add Sinner to that list, he is having physical problems at present, he said he felt unwell in his match against Cerundolo, also he skipped Madrid because of health problems, you have to be at your physical best to get to a final at RG for starters.
Believe me, I'm not dismissing Novak at this RG. Like Rafa, he's a favorite if he plays, and Rafa isn't playing.

I could start a thread, but it's almost time for the official thread. I do think this would be an interesting year to talk about contenders v. dark horses v. spoilers, which always used to be fun, and might be very interesting for this RG. I agree with you that Musetti is still under-cooked. Cerundolo I'd put in the spoiler category. Must give this some thought, because a few potential spoilers popped up recently. I have to think the dark horse is Medvedev, if he qualifies as one.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Believe me, I'm not dismissing Novak at this RG. Like Rafa, he's a favorite if he plays, and Rafa isn't playing.

I could start a thread, but it's almost time for the official thread. I do think this would be an interesting year to talk about contenders v. dark horses v. spoilers, which always used to be fun, and might be very interesting for this RG. I agree with you that Musetti is still under-cooked. Cerundolo I'd put in the spoiler category. Must give this some thought, because a few potential spoilers popped up recently. I have to think the dark horse is Medvedev, if he qualifies as one.
Okay lets wait for the official thread, gives me a little more time to think about spoilers, dark horses, I agree Meddy could be a dark horse, I have always said his game is good for clay, and he is showing it, he never got past the 1st rd at Rome look at him now he is in a Rome SF, I usually always take note of players making QF or best at Rome, for RG, though this year at Rome, the weather has been slow and heavy? not like the usual sunny good weather, hopefully RG will be sunny thie year.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ugo Humbert will return into the Top 40 next week after winning Bordeaux CH 175, which is his 2nd consecutive 175 title after Cagliari
I like Humbert's game. I guess he's just going to rumble around in the middle of the top 100, though?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I like Humbert's game. I guess he's just going to rumble around in the middle of the top 100, though?
I do too, unless he starts winning a tournament other than challengers presently he will probably stay around Top 100

Reactions: Moxie
Status
Not open for further replies.