2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos Alcaraz is one win away from successfully defending ATP Tour final for the first time, where he will play Tsitsipas in the ATP500 finaL in Barcelona. Alcaraz leads their H2H 3-0, interesting fact is Tsitsipas has not won a ATP500 tour title to date.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Banja Luka Saturday 22.04.2023. - Crowd is still here

Today the day started off easy. There were no hassles with driving a car and asking who would give me tickets. That meant drinking coffee, soaking up the sun and continue discovering recommended places to eat. It's beautiful weather outside. We were again late for the first game by literally a few seconds. It happened to us yesterday as well. Yesterday it was because of my coffee order and today it took me too long to get water from the fridge. That's what my little dictator accused me of.

I expected more from Molcan. I watched him for the first time. He plays with his left hand, but he lacks the wit that lefties have. His service was terrible today. I don't know what his plan was against Rublev. He also made a lot of unforced errors and Rublev offered himself in the second set. They exchanged several breaks of serve until Molcan couldn't hold once more. For this level of players Rublev is still a step above and he can change to a higher gear to finish such matches. Rublev is not playing very well here, but he is still in the final without losing a set, so maybe I am being overly critical, but he can do better and he will need it against the fired up Duci, who will also have huge crowd support tomorrow.

I was positively surprised by the crowd attendance at both matches today. Obviously people decided to watch tennis regardless of who was competing, which resulted in quite high and similar numbers at both matches today.

We came to the second match at the score of 5:4 in the first set (the waffle and pancake combo was too difficult to reject, and it was 500m outside the complex). I felt that Lajovic and Kecmanovic could play a longer match and I was not wrong. Kecmanovic was slightly better player until serving for the match, when he somehow got scared and played that game just awful. Duci sort of took control after that and seemed to me physically more ready, because Kecmanovic was losing more and more strength as the match came to an end. Kecmanovic is a solid player and the match was of good quality, there were nice rallies, but I personally like more the way Duci plays. He also has that nice one-handed backhand. He is a hard worker and is currently in very good form. He is 2:0 against Rublev in head-to-head matches, but they played a long time ago. He also says that they train together and know each other very well. Duci will have his chances tomorrow and I hope for a good match at the end of the tournament.

G5285470_1682187736068.JPG

G5275461_1682187736068.JPG

IMG_20230422_153737.jpg

G5335558_1682187736068.JPG
G5345568_1682187736068.JPG

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Carlos Alcaraz is one win away from successfully defending ATP Tour final for the first time, where he will play Tsitsipas in the ATP500 finaL in Barcelona. Alcaraz leads their H2H 3-0, interesting fact is Tsitsipas has not won a ATP500 tour title to date.
It's highly likely that he won't win it tomorrow either.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It's highly likely that he won't win it tomorrow either.
I have to agree with you Don, sorry about Novak's withdrawal, though I think he has made the right decision, better to get the elbow right before he plays Rome and then RG

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Banja Luka Saturday 22.04.2023. - Crowd is still here

Today the day started off easy. There were no hassles with driving a car and asking who would give me tickets. That meant drinking coffee, soaking up the sun and continue discovering recommended places to eat. It's beautiful weather outside. We were again late for the first game by literally a few seconds. It happened to us yesterday as well. Yesterday it was because of my coffee order and today it took me too long to get water from the fridge. That's what my little dictator accused me of.

I expected more from Molcan. I watched him for the first time. He plays with his left hand, but he lacks the wit that lefties have. His service was terrible today. I don't know what his plan was against Rublev. He also made a lot of unforced errors and Rublev offered himself in the second set. They exchanged several breaks of serve until Molcan couldn't hold once more. For this level of players Rublev is still a step above and he can change to a higher gear to finish such matches. Rublev is not playing very well here, but he is still in the final without losing a set, so maybe I am being overly critical, but he can do better and he will need it against the fired up Duci, who will also have huge crowd support tomorrow.

I was positively surprised by the crowd attendance at both matches today. Obviously people decided to watch tennis regardless of who was competing, which resulted in quite high and similar numbers at both matches today.

We came to the second match at the score of 5:4 in the first set (the waffle and pancake combo was too difficult to reject, and it was 500m outside the complex). I felt that Lajovic and Kecmanovic could play a longer match and I was not wrong. Kecmanovic was slightly better player until serving for the match, when he somehow got scared and played that game just awful. Duci sort of took control after that and seemed to me physically more ready, because Kecmanovic was losing more and more strength as the match came to an end. Kecmanovic is a solid player and the match was of good quality, there were nice rallies, but I personally like more the way Duci plays. He also has that nice one-handed backhand. He is a hard worker and is currently in very good form. He is 2:0 against Rublev in head-to-head matches, but they played a long time ago. He also says that they train together and know each other very well. Duci will have his chances tomorrow and I hope for a good match at the end of the tournament.

View attachment 8052
View attachment 8047
View attachment 8051
View attachment 8048View attachment 8050
Don thanks for your report. yummy pancakes and waffles it is breakfast time here, your making me feel hungry
Is Marian Vajda still the coach of Molcan? from what I read Vajda has high hopes for him

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Van de Zandschulp 3 games away from winning his first title. He’s up 4-6, 6-1, 3-2 against Rune.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Lajovic won the first set against Rublev, 6-3. it’s 4-4 in the second. I’m hoping Lajovic gets this. It would be his 2nd title ever.

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
VDZ served for it, had 2 CPs, and dropped serve. He’ll serve for it again at 5-4 in the third.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Rune twisted his ankle, with VDZ serving for the championship again. He’s trying to take a MTO but they’re not allowing it.

• Wow
Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Looks VDZ broke Rune again, to serve for it again!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What a mess this has turned into! Rune broke to get to 5-5, then promptly dropped served.

VDZ will serve for the championship a *third* time.
And get broken again, after more championship points. TB.

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan
Status
Not open for further replies.