2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I get the impression he’s in need of rest. Watched a video of him earlier against Carlos, and I think he’ll become a very good player, by rising to the challenge of chasing Carlos. Young Chaz will drag him along. He’s a real honest player, Sinner, but I think he’s prolly feeling a little frazzled and needs his zeds…
Agree, to me he should not have played Barcelona, he showed poor form, he should have rested for Madrid, he gave the walkover to Musetti, which I think was a good decision

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
What do they do to donkeys in Greece?
The ones in Santorini are made to go up and down this massive hill between the seaside and the town :rolleyes:
1682104294974.png

1682104348718.png

1682104404204.png

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Banja Luka Friday 21.04.2023.

First of all, let me say that I really shouldn't have been in Banja Luka, because the tickets for the central court for Friday, Saturday and Sunday were sold out in just two hours! The interest was really huge because of the opportunity to see Novak, and not only him but also other tennis players from the top for little money. So I was about 3 days late in buying the tickets and remained somewhat confused as to how this was even possible. I gave up at that moment. Then my wife casually asked the neighbor if she could get the tickets, knowing that the neighbor knew the wife of a former tennis player (I don't want to name him) and it turned out after a few days that I would still get the tickets for the ATP 250. One would think it's the Grand Slam, not some tournament that is being held in Bosnia for the first time. So yesterday I got a phone number from a guy who should give me tickets and I don't know that guy at all. We are in front of a hotel (interestingly called Bosnia), the man hands me a ticket, but actually gives me an accreditation for a VIP box that accommodates 6 people, all for free. I felt strange, I'm an ordinary guy, I'm not for the VIP box, but when there's no other choice, I take the VIP box then. My wife actually kept me a secret about what kind of ticket was waiting for me and our son.

We got to watch two matches. Dzumhur offered solid resistance to Rublev. The Bosnian, whose career went downhill, showed how defensively he can play, in fact he is the ultimate example of a grinder. At times, Rublev was really annoyed that Dzumhur was bringing everything back to the court. Rublev hits extremely hard when he gets into the rhythm of stronger rally and Dzumhur is incredibly fast, and taking into account this slow court, it takes time to break through the opponent. All in all, a fun match.

Then we come to Djokovic Lajovic. It was clear from the beginning that Novak is not at the required level of play and Lajović hits the ball very well and moves beautifully on the court. He is a real clay player, builds points well, knows how to go to the net, and his serve is not bad at all. Of course, the audience was practically 99 percent on Novak's side, but Lajović did not allow himself to be swayed. In fact, he made quite a surprise and upset all the organizers' plans for the final to be Novak Rublev. Something is wrong with Novak too (elbow??), I think he got some painkillers at 4:3 in the second set, he made a lot of mistakes, was breathing hard, he is far from the real Djokovic, and honestly if he comes to Madrid and lets say he goes against Alcaraz, the kid will kick him off the field. It's facinating how fast these tennis players move.

Tomorrow is the semi-final, we will watch both matches. Today we didn't make it to the first match, and when the last match of the day started we went to eat something and by the time we finished the match was coming to an end. We didn't miss much, Kecmanovic defeated Lehecka 6:0 in the second set.

IMG_20230421_163112.jpg
IMG_20230421_162837.jpg
IMG_20230421_144605.jpg

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

First of all, let me say that I really shouldn't have been in Banja Luka, because the tickets for the central court for Friday, Saturday and Sunday were sold out in just two hours! The interest was really huge because of the opportunity to see Novak, and not only him but also other tennis players from the top for little money. So I was about 3 days late in buying the tickets and remained somewhat confused as to how this was even possible. I gave up at that moment. Then my wife casually asked the neighbor if she could get the tickets, knowing that the neighbor knew the wife of a former tennis player (I don't want to name him) and it turned out after a few days that I would still get the tickets for the ATP 250. One would think it's the Grand Slam, not some tournament that is being held in Bosnia for the first time. So yesterday I got a phone number from a guy who should give me tickets and I don't know that guy at all. We are in front of a hotel (interestingly called Bosnia), the man hands me a ticket, but actually gives me an accreditation for a VIP box that accommodates 6 people, all for free. I felt strange, I'm an ordinary guy, I'm not for the VIP box, but when there's no other choice, I take the VIP box then. My wife actually kept me a secret about what kind of ticket was waiting for me and our son.

We got to watch two matches. Dzumhur offered solid resistance to Rublev. The Bosnian, whose career went downhill, showed how defensively he can play, in fact he is the ultimate example of a grinder. At times, Rublev was really annoyed that Dzumhur was bringing everything back to the court. Rublev hits extremely hard when he gets into the rhythm of stronger rally and Dzumhur is incredibly fast, and taking into account this slow court, it takes time to break through the opponent. All in all, a fun match.

Then we come to Djokovic Lajovic. It was clear from the beginning that Novak is not at the required level of play and Lajović hits the ball very well and moves beautifully on the court. He is a real clay player, builds points well, knows how to go to the net, and his serve is not bad at all. Of course, the audience was practically 99 percent on Novak's side, but Lajović did not allow himself to be swayed. In fact, he made quite a surprise and upset all the organizers' plans for the final to be Novak Rublev. Something is wrong with Novak too (elbow??), I think he got some painkillers at 4:3 in the second set, he made a lot of mistakes, was breathing hard, he is far from the real Djokovic, and honestly if he comes to Madrid and lets say he goes against Alcaraz, the kid will kick him off the field. It's facinating how fast these tennis players move.

Tomorrow is the semi-final, we will watch both matches. Today we didn't make it to the first match, and when the last match of the day started we went to eat something and by the time we finished the match was coming to an end. We didn't miss much, Kecmanovic defeated Lehecka 6:0 in the second set.

View attachment 8035View attachment 8036View attachment 8037
Thanks Don,
I read that Novak is weighing up, if he will play Madrid after losing this match? have you heard any up to date news at all

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks Don,
I read that Novak is weighing up, if he will play Madrid after losing this match? have you heard any up to date news at all
I don't have any. He needs to find form somewhere, time is ticking to RG so he needs to play, but if he has physical issues then he is not in a pleasant situation.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't have any. He needs to find form somewhere, time is ticking to RG so he needs to play, but if he has physical issues then he is not in a pleasant situation.
Agree, no player at this point in time needs to have any physical issues where Roland Garos is in the horizen, he still has some time to get rhythm on the clay, if not Madrid, Rome, the tournament I prefer over Madrid any day

Reactions: don_fabio

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Thanks for that great report from on the ground (practically on the court!) Don Fabio! Sorry you won't get to see more of Novak from so close up. Excellent about the VIP seats, though.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Great stuff, Don! And great seats too. Pity for you that he was knocked out, would have been a treat to see him again tomoro…

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Great stuff, Don! And great seats too. Pity for you that he was knocked out, would have been a treat to see him again tomoro…
Pity that Novak went out, but on the other hand I'm a tennis fan much more than a Novak fan. I'll do my share and support players tomorrow, but not sure if the stadium will be full again. There is too many people who only watch tennis if Nole plays. Let's see.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pity that Novak went out, but on the other hand I'm a tennis fan much more than a Novak fan. I'll do my share and support players tomorrow, but not sure if the stadium will be full again. There is too many people who only watch tennis if Nole plays. Let's see.
Star power is a real thing, and that's why they get the big bucks. Some bring people to tennis who had no interest before. Let us know what the turnout is like, now that he's out. Looks like a nice venue, btw.

Reactions: don_fabio

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm guessing Novak surges again once he works the rust off, but...it would really be something if both he and Nadal were finally winding down.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm guessing Novak surges again once he works the rust off, but...it would really be something if both he and Nadal were finally winding down.
Read what Don Fabio said, and note the arm sleeve. It's not just rust. There seems to be an issue with his arm. I'm not hoping for the worst, but just saying what often gets said, including by you: they are now mid-30s, and it doesn't last forever. Personally, I always see Novak coming back from niggles, and I think he's farther from the end of his career than Nadal. And I'm far from saying that RG is at issue for him. However, if I'm Alcaraz and Sinner and Rune and maybe a few clown princes, I would be working hard, mentally and physically, for the possibility of a serious run at the French Open.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Read what Don Fabio said, and note the arm sleeve. It's not just rust. There seems to be an issue with his arm. I'm not hoping for the worst, but just saying what often gets said, including by you: they are now mid-30s, and it doesn't last forever. Personally, I always see Novak coming back from niggles, and I think he's farther from the end of his career than Nadal. And I'm far from saying that RG is at issue for him. However, if I'm Alcaraz and Sinner and Rune and maybe a few clown princes, I would be working hard, mentally and physically, for the possibility of a serious run at the French Open.
I was thinking if he is about to have another decline period and if this is the start of it. I know it's way too early to say it, but hear me out. I think the slam race is taking it's toll on him, mentally and physically. Achieving AO win this year was a milestone for him. In some way maybe similar to his first RG and we know what happened after it. Even though he is a phenomenal athlete these dips in career can happen, it's been a while since his last poor year. It's natural to have it again and then well he is not getting younger too.

Clay is also the most demanding surface and maybe, just maybe he realises he doesn't have it in him anymore to grind that much to win RG. There is still Nadal there and you have Alcaraz with eyes on the prize. Will be interesting to see with the injury concern how much he is going to risk. There is a Wimbledon title to defend too where he has much higher chances.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Nadal isn't winding down, he has simply been injured. If he is healthy he would win the FO yet again, most likely WITHOUT LOSING A SET ( :bye: ). Djokovic on the other hand looks to be winding down and has lost recently to 2 players he usually beats with his eyes closed.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Nadal isn't winding down, he has simply been injured. If he is healthy he would win the FO yet again, most likely WITHOUT LOSING A SET ( :bye: ). Djokovic on the other hand looks to be winding down and has lost recently to 2 players he usually beats with his eyes closed.

Wishful thinking and delusions are really keeping you going! :yawningface::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Status
Not open for further replies.