2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For someone with a twisted ankle, Rune sure is running around just fine. Hmmm ….
OK, aside from the potentially dodgy try for a MTO?, Rune was down 2 breaks? (Well, then another one.) Boy, VDZ is going to need a shrink after this.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes. VDZ was up 5-2 in the third, served for it 3 times, had 4 championship points — then lost in a TB to a surefooted, yet injured Rune.
Is this going to help or hurt Little Holger's reputation, is my question...I couldn't tell.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Watching Alcaraz/Tsitsipas now. Carlos keeps getting him with that lovely drop shot. They know it's coming, but nothing you can do, I guess.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Extremely happy for Lajovic. Hope people could see the points I made about him in the "who is your next fav" thread. 3 top 10 wins this week, all of them he took it, rather then got it as a gift, playing aggressively, creatively, skillfully. It was easy to see how this final (and this week) drained him. If he was to play tomorrow, he would lose to the #1934 in world. Luckily he has a week to settle down.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is this going to help or hurt Little Holger's reputation, is my question...I couldn't tell.
Having the heart of a champhion always helps M’aam. I think of Taylor Frtitz who said being injured last year in the final at IW versus Rafa actually loosened him up. Definitely he somehow climbed back from shoulder and ankle injuries to play a great TB.

After the debacle of Mote Carlo for little Holger to fight back has to feel so good. Of course you have to feel for VDZ, he looks absolutely gutted. He had the match in his hands , 4 MP’s and 3 times serving the match. On the bright side he didnt have to put on those awful lederhosen like pants.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So two teenagers today defended their first ever ATP titles. (Oh, they grow up so fast!)

PS: Alcaraz did it, as they just mentioned on TC, without dropping a set. (I said they do always mention it.)

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tsitsipas is now 0-4 against Alcaraz. It must be disheartening for Tsitsipas to go from being touted as the next big thing to seeing a teenager already surpass him in terms of big titles, h2h, no.1, and everything. Very humbling. Hopefully Tsitsipas will win a slam but with Alcaraz out there it might be a Nadal vs Ferrer type of situation.

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tsitsipas is now 0-4 against Alcaraz. It must be disheartening for Tsitsipas to go from being touted as the next big thing to seeing a teenager already surpass him in terms of big titles, h2h, and everything. Very humbling. Hopefully Tsitsipas will win a slam but with Alcaraz out there it might be a Nadal vs Ferrer type of situation.
Add to that Tsitsipas h2h record with the other top 10 teenager Holger Rune is 0-2, and he’s lost his last matches with Jannick Sinner and FAA so thats a 0-8 record versus the young bucks coming up.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Holger asked for the MTO when he had breakpoint on VDZ’s service game at 30-40 , why breakup his own momentum?
I noticed that, which is why I was confused. Plus, he'd already gotten one break back, right? Why didn't they allow the MTO?

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I noticed that, which is why I was confused. Plus, he'd already gotten one break back, right? Why didn't they allow the MTO?
Its in the rule book, I believe its only allowed in change overs? Could see why it’s there to avoid abuses and players have been accused of doing it to break their opponent’s momentum ( you imagine if someone asked for a MTO while losing a game) but at the same time i can see why Holger was upset. Injuries don’t always wait for changeovers.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I decided to have a Nana Nap after the womens finals and missed Alcaraz match I will catch it on replay later
Well done Alcaraz defending your title, to defend a title is more difficult to win one I feel
Tsitsipas still is yet to win a ATP500 title

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
OK, aside from the potentially dodgy try for a MTO?, Rune was down 2 breaks? (Well, then another one.) Boy, VDZ is going to need a shrink after this.
I am just reading up on that match 1 dodgy MTO for Rune? lol! with a so called twisted ankle and running around like a rabbit? another MTO for shoulder and still wins the match, indeed VDZ is going to need a shrink after losing that match lol!
I wonder if Rune will be fully fit to play Madrid.
BTW the draw for Madrid is out, just going through it now
Good to see Seb Korda back at Madrid, after missing tournaments since AO with a wrist injury

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.