2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Huesler-Thiem match in Munich has been suspended due to darkness. Huesler won 1st set 75 and 3 all in the 2nd set.Matches continue tomorrow and one of them has to face Fritz later.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Upset Alert in Barcelona,
Cerundolo a set up and now 3-0 in the 2nd set against Ruud ( Cerundolo won the 1st set 76(5)

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Francisco Cerundolo ( the dangerous one ) defeated Ruud 76(5) 63
Ruud season continues to be sub par

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
oo
Huesler-Thiem match in Munich has been suspended due to darkness. Huesler won 1st set 75 and 3 all in the 2nd set.Matches continue tomorrow and one of them has to face Fritz later.
I watched Thiem today. He can't hit through the opponent from any wing. You can see he is trying, but also still misfiring a lot, at times by just a bit and sometimes by far. His power in the shots seems to be gone, it's like I'm watching a different player from what he used to be. His level at the moment is 50-100 ranking player at best.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
oo

I watched Thiem today. He can't hit through the opponent from any wing. You can see he is trying, but also still misfiring a lot, at times by just a bit and sometimes by far. His power in the shots seems to be gone, it's like I'm watching a different player from what he used to be. His level at the moment is 50-100 ranking player at best.
Agree, quite frankly I think he is going down the same path as Del Potro sad to say, I mean it took him 7 months to win 2 matches back to back, he hasnt won a tournament, even at challenger level,I also read he has hired a sports physio to help him with his mental game, apart from a new coach and trainer.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agree, quite frankly I think he is going down the same path as Del Potro sad to say, I mean it took him 7 months to win 2 matches back to back, he hasnt won a tournament, even at challenger level,I also read he has hired a sports physio to help him with his mental game, apart from a new coach and trainer.
DelPo at least made several come backs and proved he still had it. Thiem's comeback is taking too long and no one really knows where it's heading. Even Thiem himself is probably not sure where all this is going.

What about those news that DelPo is back on the training court and is planing to get ready for USO 2023?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
DelPo at least made several come backs and proved he still had it. Thiem's comeback is taking too long and no one really knows where it's heading. Even Thiem himself is probably not sure where all this is going.

What about those news that DelPo is back on the training court and is planing to get ready for USO 2023?
Point about Del Potro he did try a few come backs, Thiem's come back is taking too long?
Apparently Del Potro wants to play the USO, for his last hurrah, he said hopefully his body will be okay to play.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

It's only been a year and half since theim was competing for a grand slam and 3 since a GS final vs Novak... let's give him the full calendar year to get his game back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jelenafan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It's only been a year and half since theim was competing for a grand slam and 3 since a GS final vs Novak
Have you watched Dom's game at present? it took him 7 months to win back to back matches, forget about a year and a half ago, he is a mere shadow of himself, he cannot win a tournament a challenger level?. let alone string 2 winning matches.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Have you watched Dom's game at present? it took him 7 months to win back to back matches, forget about a year and a half ago, he is a mere shadow of himself, he cannot win a tournament a challenger level?.
Give him a full calendar Year

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
He is approaching 30? there are other players on the up and up, I agree with Don Fabio, at best he is around a 50- 100 player ranking at best
A talent like Dominic is hard to suppress. Dominic is a tireless worker who paid his dues the hard way and made it to the top 5 during the deadly reign of the Big 3 plus Andy and Stan. Give him time and he will be back. Hopefully his soft tissue wrist injury will heal to full strength but it takes time. Unlike Delpo who's body just completely broke down and came apart, Dominic is a smaller player with low body fat and less injuries.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A talent like Dominic is hard to suppress. Dominic is a tireless worker who paid his dues the hard way and made it to the top 5 during the deadly reign of the Big 3 plus Andy and Stan. Give him time and he will be back. Hopefully his soft tissue wrist injury will heal to full strength but it takes time. Unlike Delpo who's body just completely broke down and came apart, Dominic is a smaller player with low body fat and less injuries.
Well we will have to agree to disagree, forget about the past, it is the present and his current game,lets face facts, he is approaching 30 years of age, it has taken him 7 months to win back to back matches, he could not win a challenger tournament, with the current crop of players he will not be back in the top tier of players. I suggest you actually watch his current game., take note of what Don Fabio was saying today when he watched him in Munich.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well we will have to agree to disagree, forget about the past, it is the present and his current game,lets face facts, he is approaching 30 years of age, it has taken him 7 months to win back to back matches, he could not win a challenger tournament, with the current crop of players he will not be back in the top tier of players. I suggest you actually watch his current game., take note of what Don Fabio was saying today when he watched him in Munich.
I think the words you’re looking for but are too polite to say are “fork” and “stick”…

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thiem is down the early break to Fritz in the 1st, Djokovic drops the opening set to @mrzz's next man, Lajovic, (Veljovic is in the chair...) and Alcaraz lost his break advantage in the first to Davidovich Fokina and they are in a TB in the 1st. A lot going on right now.

EDIT: Alcaraz takes the first set.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
It's only been a year and half since theim was competing for a grand slam and 3 since a GS final vs Novak... let's give him the full calendar year to get his game back.
AP, it's not all physical w/ him. I would hazard a guess and say at this point in his comeback it's 90% mental. What I've noticed more than anything is his lack of confidence. It's as if he doesn't believe in his ability to hit those shots w/ any consistency so he plays very tentatively (20 ft behind the baseline). Because he has no confidence in his ability to make the shot when he needs it the most, it affects every part of his game. He's not sure how to construct points. His serve is weak. He plays defensively, hoping to extract errors from his opponent, but even that isn't working w/ his current level of play. He desperately needs a shrink to travel w/ him until he can fully recover his confidence and belief. @MargaretMcAleer @don_fabio I would say he's closer to that 100 ranking. I would not put him anywhere near the top 50. Top 50 guys can compete and win challengers.

Last point, if he's still in pain, then he should not be playing. Take the time to properly heal and then attempt a comeback. Playing hurt is only going to delay his ability to reach peak form again.

Status
Not open for further replies.