2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just looking at the Estoril Open tomorrow,

Dominic Thiem vs Q Sebastian Ofner, hopefully Dom dosent lose his first round singles match, he teamed up with Joao Sousa to win the doubles match defeating WC pair of Ben Shelton and Duarte Vale 64 62

Ben Shelton plays his first singles match against Constant Lestinne
Thiem beat Ofner, but just barely it seems, by the scores: 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Shelton won in straights.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa and Carlos have withdrawn from Monte Carlo. Rafa is still not back to full health and Carlos is feeling “physical discomfort.”

Side note, when Djoker wins this, his fans will conveniently forget who is absent. When Djokovic himself chooses to be absent from a tournament, his fans inconveniently remind us to stick an asterisk beside the name of the champion…
This is a bummer. I wanted to give it the sad face reaction, but the thumbs up for the 2nd paragraph, so I figured I'd just better respond. On to Barcelona, I guess. I hope.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a bummer. I wanted to give it the sad face reaction, but the thumbs up for the 2nd paragraph, so I figured I'd just better respond. On to Barcelona, I guess. I hope.
Exactly. It’s a laugh or cry situation. I look at Novak’s last 6 GS titles and who he beat, and there’s Rafa in 2021 RG (who skipped the rest of the year) and Federer aged 83 at Wimbledon 2019. Oh to be so good!

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am not surprised there were a lot of rumors saying he was going, he said he will come back to the tour when he feels comfortable and ready to compete. Barcelona I feel is when he will come back to the tour.
In regards to Alcaraz having post traumatic arthritis in his hand? at age 19 is a bit of a worry, muscular discomfort in the spine, reason he had to withdraw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Sis @Moxie can you imagine if I would have gotten tickets to fly and attend the tournament..mama Nadal and his Sister would have had to take ole AP to a quiet place to console me..Good Grief I would have been devastated

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
One thing that might be a factor--even explain--Felix's "lack of fire" (to quote Kieran) is that he has a chronic heart condition. I believe he had surgery to correct it some years back, but I do wonder if that plays a part.

I see a guy with a similar display of raw talent and range of skills as Sinner and Alcaraz, but lacking that "it" factor (contrast him to Holger Rune, who is more rough but definitely has the "it" factor). I'm not sure what it would take to get him to that next level, but as I wrote elsewhere, he's kind of missed his window for "the path to greatness," at least in terms of historical Elo ratings. Now just as Stan set new precedents for multi-Slam winners and "near greats," presumably someone comes along and doesn't fully blossom until their mid-20s and ends up becoming an all-time grat. But even Ivan Lendl, who didn't win his first Slam until age 24, made a huge jump before--and was an elite player by--his 21st birthday (then continued from there).

Or consider that, along the lines of my study in another thread, every all-time great (6+ Slam winners, plus Murray) had surpassed the 2200 Elo threshold before their 22nd birthday...Felix's peak is still at 2140 and he's 22, going to be 23 in August.

So again, who knows, maybe he sets new precedents like Stan did, and makes a big jump over the next year or two, but right now he's more on a path that sees him becoming somewhere between Gasquet/Dimitrov and Medvedev/Thiem. No shame in that, but not quite at the level of all-time greats.
Great post my friend @El Dude

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Pablo Carreno Busta also withdrawn from MC, replaced by Laslo Djere
Next on the entry list is Andy Murray

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Rafa and Carlos have withdrawn from Monte Carlo. Rafa is still not back to full health and Carlos is feeling “physical discomfort.”

Side note, when Djoker wins this, his fans will conveniently forget who is absent. When Djokovic himself chooses to be absent from a tournament, his fans inconveniently remind us to stick an asterisk beside the name of the champion…

Why wouldn't Nole be just as rusty, losing to some lower ranked player just like last season when prevented playing the Sunshine Double? :fearful-face:

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
AP,
If you are around just read this message from Felix which he posted via Twitter,
Felix has been struggling with his left knee for a few weeks, he decided to rest, withdraw from MC to be ready for his next tournament in Madrid

tented

Administrator
Reactions
AP,
If you are around just read this message from Felix which he posted via Twitter,
Felix has been struggling with his left knee for a few weeks, he decided to rest, withdraw from MC to be ready for his next tournament in Madrid
UPDATE:
Due to the slow drip of players dropping out of Monte Carlo, the tournament has decided to move directly to the trophy ceremony, and replace the tennis with pickleball.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
UPDATE:
Due to the slow drip of players dropping out of Monte Carlo, the tournament has decided to move directly to the trophy ceremony, and replace the tennis with pickleball.
Nah I can't take seeing Fat Agassi and way over the hill M Chang ...no pickleball

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well I was going to nominate you, though you are otherwise committed
I was too but I wanted to be humble jajaja With my big serve I could last a few sets against the current participants MC. I require multiple latinas only as my massage therapists, physios and mental therapist for me to make the trip ..Count me In.

Status
Not open for further replies.