2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
2 UFE from Meddy in the first 8 games of the Dubai final 62 over Rublev in 37 mins. One set away from a 3rd title in 3 weeks

Meddy has been in 'the zone' again in this match. just like his SF win over Djokovic and will serve for the title in Dubai 5-2

Medvedev d Rublev the defending champion 62 62 to win the Dubai final, this is Medvedev's 3rd title in 3 weeks, well done Daniil!
This is Daniil 18th title

Meddy W 19 UFE 8 Rublev W 13 UFE 22

Meddy wil move up to #6 in the rankings with this win and Rublev drops to #7

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Loved this from Daniil Medvedev, shading Stefanos Tsitsipas in his speech after winning the Dubai title,

" Not long ago, I remember reading that one player said Andrey dosent have so many weapons. I hope you ( Andrey) beat this guy many times"........
Gotta love Andrey.He says he never took Tsitsipas' comments personally and understands how people can say things they dont mean when they're emotional.

"

Last edited:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Andrey Rublev is just a step below the Medvedev/Tsitsipas/Zverev group. I think he'll eventually win a Masters or two, but he's going to need either a lucky break or play the tournament of his life. He's got 12 titles, 5 of which are ATP 500s, but no Masters (yet).

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Andrey Rublev is just a step below the Medvedev/Tsitsipas/Zverev group. I think he'll eventually win a Masters or two, but he's going to need either a lucky break or play the tournament of his life. He's got 12 titles, 5 of which are ATP 500s, but no Masters (yet).

Even though just a few points from being #1, Ruud will only be Co-King of 500's w/ Rublev! They'll need to go "Tonya Harding" on Carlito, Daniil, & Scasha to get anywhere near a Major win! He just doesn't have the weapons or consistency to get anywhere near #1 again! It was a fluke of a season w/ Novak only playing half a season & got no points for his Wimbledon victory! :yawningface: :astonished-face::fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Even though just a few points from being #1, Ruud will only be Co-King of 500's w/ Rublev! They'll need to go "Tonya Harding" on Carlito, Daniil, & Scasha to get anywhere near a Major win! He just doesn't have the weapons or consistency to get anywhere near #1 again! It was a fluke of a season w/ Novak only playing half a season & got no points for his Wimbledon victory! :yawningface: :astonished-face::fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Unfortunately true. He’s too beige…

Reactions: Fiero425

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well done to Alex de Minaur who defeated Tommy Paul in Acapulco 36 64 61 to win his biggest career title!
He has been playing great tennis since the year started.He was due for a big win..
Congrats muchacho!

Reactions: Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Would you put FAA and Rublev aka the big haired dude in the same level. I think they are although FAA has weapons. A lot of folks don't give the match much credence but review that stats for RG FAA vs Rafa. Rafa raised his game to the sublime level especially in the final set where FAA had ONLY 3 UFES and lost the set and match. I doubt if FAA is capable of playing that type of tennis.

Reactions: tossip and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Would you put FAA and Rublev aka the big haired dude in the same level. I think they are although FAA has weapons. A lot of folks don't give the match much credence but review that stats for RG FAA vs Rafa. Rafa raised his game to the sublime level especially in the final set where FAA had ONLY 3 UFES and lost the set and match. I doubt if FAA is capable of playing that type of tennis.
FAA is starting to feel like the gifted man who lacks the swagger and ego to make the next move, isn’t he? He lacks heart, or something? Beautiful game to watch but I’m never surprised when he loses…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He has been playing great tennis since the year started.He was due for a big win..
Congrats muchacho!
When you consider he dosent have the weapons of other players,his grit and running down every ball, he does make life difficult for his opponents, and the conditions in Acapulco were very hot and humid, he was the player that handle the conditions very well.

Reactions: tossip

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The crux is with the Most Beautiful Hair Rublev may have an upper limit but he plays at a relatively consistent level against even quality opponents. Whereas FAA many times plays up or down to the opponent he faces. FAA is like the little girl with the curl, he can struggle mightily with a journeyman player, last year at IW the guy simply could not get out of 2nd gear versus Van De Zandschulp which is why at this point I find him overrated in the context of being discussed as a top future champ.

Interesting fact is that Hair guy has notched wins against players ranked in the top ten on all placements ( #1, #2, #3…) except he’s never beaten a #7 ranked player, which he was facing with Medvedev. So the “7” still eludes him. ; )

• Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have always been of the opinion that Rublev needs a transition game to the net, he needs variety in his game, than just standing on the baseline, he did try to come into the net against Meddy in the final.,in regards to FAA I too feel he has more weapons than Rublev, there are area's in his game that do need improvement, his serve, 2nd serve, when pressured lets him down, I think we saw that recently in his last match, I feel at times he 'lacks the killer instinct' in matches.I agree the match at RG against Rafa, surprised me as well, maybe it was the Toni Nadal factor? to me his best surfaces are HC and grass.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
First off, I think we need to stop comparing the young guys to the Big Three. I'm not singling you out, because we all do it. They've collectively skewed our perception of what "greatness" looks like. Below those three are about a dozen players in the Open Era who can be categorized as "true all-time greats," and the maybe a dozen more who are "near greats." Remember that each of the Big Three now have more Slams than Wilander, Edberg, and Becker combined (or Borg + McEnroe, if you prefer, and Novak and Rafa have the same as Sampras and Agassi combined). And that's not even getting into the guys who won 2-4 Slams, some of whom at least had periods of dominance.

Meaning, the Big Three have lapped everyone else - including Sampras. For me the question is not who the heir of the Big Three will be, because that's just unfair, but who is the next guy who will win multiple Slams and perch at the top of the rankings for an extended period of time? That's inevitable, but being the heir to the Big Three is not - and may not happen for decades to come, if ever. I'm not saying that an Alcaraz or Rune, or some guy currently playing at the Juniors level, couldn't be that guy, just that it is very unlikely, considering tennis history as a whole. We haven't seen someone with similar dominance since Rod Laver, whose prime was mostly in the 1960s. And we haven't seen anyone who could consistently play at such a high level since McEnroe, or maybe Borg (or maybe Sampras, if we ignore clay). And the Big Three were more consistent than those guys, with far greater longevity.

Or to put all of that another way, there's no shame in having a career like Courier or Hewitt, and even less so Edberg or Becker. If one of them has a run like Courier in 1991-93, then I think we start talking, but even then it should be "how great will they be? How long can they sustain this level?"

But to respond to the question, I'd put FAA on their level (Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Zverev) in terms of talent and potential, but obviously the results aren't there (yet). Whether he puts it all together remains to be seen, but I've compared him to Grigor Dimitrov a couple times recently, in terms of flashing talent that isn't translating.

I see Rublev a half or full step below those three (and potentially FAA), along with guys like Berrettini, Hurkacz, Ruud, Fritz, etc. Guys who are unlikely to win Slams, but should be able to win a Masters or two, if the stars align (and Hurkacz already has), or maybe be a one-Slam wonder if they can thread the needle.

In a way, FAA is in his own category in that he's still got a wide range of possible outcomes, anything from another Grigor Dimitrov to being the third wheel with Alcaraz and Rune for the next decade. I think we'll have a better sense of his career by the end of this year. Sinner, too. Both are teetering. I like FAA's package of talent more than Sinner, who comes across a bit "soft" in my mind, without the weapons to be a truly dominant player. But as others have mentioned, I question FAA's mental game, and that's really the deciding factor on how talent actualizes itself (see, "Nalbandian, David" or "Safin, Marat").

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
FAA is starting to feel like the gifted man who lacks the swagger and ego to make the next move, isn’t he? He lacks heart, or something? Beautiful game to watch but I’m never surprised when he loses…
FAA is too vanilla,and I think he wants to be the player that doesn't rock the boat.Imagine if he had Tiafoe's confidence ...

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
…In a way, FAA is in his own category in that he's still got a wide range of possible outcomes, anything from another Grigor Dimitrov to being the third wheel with Alcaraz and Rune for the next decade. I think we'll have a better sense of his career by the end of this year. Sinner, too. Both are teetering. I like FAA's package of talent more than Sinner, who comes across a bit "soft" in my mind, without the weapons to be a truly dominant player. But as others have mentioned, I question FAA's mental game, and that's really the deciding factor on how talent actualizes itself (see, "Nalbandian, David" or "Safin, Marat")…
I agree with most of your post, excellent points.

However IMO FAA’s career results still don’t merit his being put in his “own category” Potential is potential is potential but as you yourself freely acknowledge the results are not there. Unlike say Tsitsipas, Zverev, Theim, Alcaraz, Sinner & even little Holger Rune he’s never won a Masters, a YE champs or even reached a Masters final or a slam final like all of the rest of the players mentioned. Heck even Shapavolov After 4 plus years in the tour has had better Masters results, with 1 Masters finals and 4 SF’s and has a comparable Slam record.

Nalbandian & Safin comparisons don’t quite correlate because in those cases it was talent actualized ( Safin -Slam win, Slam final, Masters wins, Nalbandian Slam final, Masters wins, YE champs) which resulted in talent wasted. Felix’s talent hasn’t even reached that step yet.

Gregor Dimitrov I agree there could still be some parallels in that for all his talent Gregor didn’t get solid actualized results until age 26, when he won both a Master and the ATP YE champs. So there was a hope Dimitrov was a “late bloomer”. Many thought it could be a breakthrough for him but, alas, his career reverted back to ocassional spurts of brilliance ( Slam SF’s) with inconsistent and even puzzling losses.

Reactions: Kieran

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree with most of your post, excellent points.

However IMO FAA’s career results still don’t merit his being put in his “own category” Potential is potential is potential but as you yourself freely acknowledge the results are not there. Unlike say Tsitsipas, Zverev, Theim, Alcaraz, Sinner & even little Holger Rune he’s never won a Masters, a YE champs or even reached a Masters final or a slam final like all of the rest of the players mentioned. Heck even Shapavolov After 4 plus years in the tour has had better Masters results, with 1 Masters finals and 4 SF’s and has a comparable Slam record.

Nalbandian & Safin comparisons don’t quite correlate because in those cases it was talent actualized ( Safin -Slam win, Slam final, Masters wins, Nalbandian Slam final, Masters wins, YE champs) which resulted in talent wasted. Felix’s talent hasn’t even reached that step yet.

Gregor Dimitrov I agree there could still be some parallels in that for all his talent Gregor didn’t get solid actualized results until age 26, when he won both a Master and the ATP YE champs. So there was a hope Dimitrov was a “late bloomer”. Many thought it could be a breakthrough for him but, alas, his career reverted back to ocassional spurts of brilliance ( Slam SF’s) with inconsistent and even puzzling losses.
I think you misunderstand my usage of "own category." I mean that he is hard to define at this point - unlike the older Next Genners, he's young enough still that we can't say that this is who he is, as far as upside, but old enough for concern that he hasn't take it to that next level yet. I think we know who the Next Genners are, but not as much Rune and Alcaraz, who we can dream on.

I don't mean he's in his own category above and beyond others. I just think he's got more volatility than most young(ish) players, in terms of career outcome.

I compared him to Nalbandian and Safin as two examples of players whose results were stunted by their mentalities and/or lifestyle choices. Meaning, both are players whose talent exceeded their end results.

Reactions: Jelenafan

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
A lot of it has to do with age, and so the same could apply to Jannik Sinner. FAA is 22, Sinner is 21. Historically, players reach their prime years around 21-22, and their absolute peak somewhere around 24-25, although those are just averages. The Next Genners are all 24+, so chances are we've seen what they're capable of. This doesn't mean that a Zverev or Tsitsipas couldn't have their best years ahead of them, just that we've seen their game and chances are they won't become significantly better (not to mention that actual titles sometimes have to do with opportunity...both Zverev and Medvedev reached 2300 Elo in 2021, which only 28 other players have done in the Open Era...meaning, they've already reached "Slam-winning form" and now just need to right opportunity and be able to take advantage of it).

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some latest news regarding Wimbledon to drop Russian and Belarusian player ban in 2023.
As reported by Britan's Daily Telegraph, all expectations that the AELTC will lower the ban on Russian and Belarusians.
"There will probably be a condition that players from those countries will need to sign a declaration testifying that they will not promote or glorify Vladimir Putin's political decisions at the tournament".
The LTA's biggest concern is that tournaments leading up to Wimbledon could be lost forever.If the bans are not repeated this year, the fines will be halved, so there is also a big financial incentive to abandon restrictions.

Reactions: AnonymousFan
Status
Not open for further replies.