2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sinner d Medevdev 76(7) 46 63 to win the title in Vienna!
The level of this match for 3 hours was 'unreal'
One of the best wins in Jannicks career I feel as a fan
10ATP title, 4th in 2023
4th consecutive Top 5 win
Ben fatto Jannick!

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Sinner and Medvedev are so overrated, it's not even funny. I bet you the media is going to continue the overhype by writing about how grueling their match was. I'm not even worried because I know the truth, and that Ben Shelton is clearly going to be better than both in one year's time.

Why not use the word "grueling?" It was over 3 hrs. long! The points were grueling, the games are grueling, & the sets are gruelingly long! :astonished-face: :fearful-face:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
FAA won in straight sets 2tbrs over double H..Bravo welcome back to the future Felix
I was trying to catch my breath after watching Meddy and Sinner watch the 2nd set TB in FAA and Hubi match

FAA finds his form to defend his title in Basel defeating Hubi 76(3) 76(5), quite frankly at the start of the week it was totally unexpected
Saves his ranking as well ( stays in the top 20)
Loved the smile on FAA's face after he won:)

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Felix says Basel title is the most special in his career,

"I cane here for the first time when I was 17, it was a pleasure for me.This means a lot. Ups and downs in the year.But for me, this win is extra special.Probably the most special so far in my career.It's been a pleasure for me that it happened in front of you today'
Felix is such an articulate young man,, defending a title to me is harder than winning it, well done Felix!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just looked at the Pre Paris Race to Turin points
Rune leads Hubi by 215 points, Tsitsipas,Zverev and Rune the current No 6,7 and 8
Paris Masters will be interesting if Hubi can have a good tournament in Paris, he could make Turin.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Matteo Berrettini announces amicable split with his coach of 13 years, Vincenzo Santopadre.Matteo is talented, though to me, he needs to get and stay healthy, above all.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Shocking! Commentators were hyping HH to win Paris after such a good few wks. thru tour's Asian swing! FAA wasn't expected to win/defend! :-)2
They're saying that double H was a bit jaded today and Rune was also a bit jaded..also Felix saved mp a few matches ago and cramps at the end of a match so he was fortunate to be holding the title trophy

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just rewatching some highlights of Meddy v Sinner match
What impressed me the most in this match was Janniks physical ability, and his mental strength. I doubt 6 months ago with this grueling battle, that Jannik would have won, his first serve has been 'on song' in Vienna all week and clutch when needed., he really mixed up his shots in the final set. I know his team has been working not just on his serve but his physical form, to me this bodes well for Jannik going forward in his career.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sinner and Medvedev are so overrated, it's not even funny. I bet you the media is going to continue the overhype by writing about how grueling their match was. I'm not even worried because I know the truth, and that Ben Shelton is clearly going to be better than both in one year's time.
I don't see how you can call either of them "overrated." Sinner is only just 22, and he's ranked #4. Rankings points don't come from media or fan hype. Medvedev has been #1, and he has a Major. You want to talk about "overrated," let me offer you Tsitsipas or Zverev, or the current crop, or someone like Dimitrov. I'm all for championing Shelton, who recently turned 20 and has a nice #15 ranking, and just won his first title. But he's ways to go to prove his talents match his ambition.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just looked at the Pre Paris Race to Turin points
Rune leads Hubi by 215 points, Tsitsipas,Zverev and Rune the current No 6,7 and 8
Paris Masters will be interesting if Hubi can have a good tournament in Paris, he could make Turin.
I heard that, too. I fear that Rune's problem is physical. If I were to lay money, I think HH will make it to Turin over Rune.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I heard that, too. I fear that Rune's problem is physical. If I were to lay money, I think HH will make it to Turin over Rune.
Rune had MTO's in his matches in Basel, l, agree he still has physical problems, quite frankly I cannot see him defending his Masters title in Paris or making Turin, though Hubi did have a leg problem in his match against Felix.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some very sad news,
The notoriously private Pete Sampras announced today on social media, that his wife, Bridgette, is being treated for ovarian cancer since last December. Her fight continues.

Last edited:
  • Sad

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Some very sad news,
The notoriously private Pete Sampras announced today on social media, that his wife, Bridgette, is being treated for ovarian cancer since last December. Her fight continues.
Ah shit! Just looking at that now, it doesn’t sound good, poor woman.

To treat the disease, she has undergone "major surgery" and chemotherapy, per her husband, and is currently undergoing targeted maintenance therapy.

I remember Pete was a six inch putt to win the USO in 1999, he’d played the greatest performance I’ve ever seen at Wimbledon, beating Agassi, then he went on a tear across the hard courts in North America, beating Agassi twice more in straights, Krajicek - who’d beaten him 4 times in a row - and defending USO champ Rafter, both in straights as well (I’m looking these up now to refresh my memory) and the day before the USO he was practicing with Kuerten and hurt his back.

He’d have finished that season #1 as well, I’m sure of it, he was so lit up. But the good news is that wherever he went to recover, he met his future wife. Classy, classy man, no fuss, no controversies, the perfect package as a tennis champ.

I hope his wife gets better but it’s terrible news, and the fact that he’s opened up about it doesn’t sound great. I hope I’m wrong!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ah shit! Just looking at that now, it doesn’t sound good, poor woman.

I remember Pete was a six inch putt to win the USO in 1999, he’d played the greatest performance I’ve ever seen at Wimbledon, beating Agassi, then he went on a tear across the hard courts in North America, beating Agassi twice more in straights, Krajicek - who’d beaten him 4 times in a row - and defending USO champ Rafter, both in straights as well (I’m looking these up now to refresh my memory) and the day before the USO he was practicing with Kuerten and hurt his back.

He’d have finished that season #1 as well, I’m sure of it, he was so lit up. But the good news is that wherever he went to recover, he met his future wife. Classy, classy man, no fuss, no controversies, the perfect package as a tennis champ.

I hope his wife gets better but it’s terrible news, and the fact that he’s opened up about it doesn’t sound great. I hope I’m wrong!
Ovarian cancer for woman is probably one of the hardest forms of cancer to beat or even keep in remission, my prayers and thoughts are with Pete and his wife.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Question..Did Rafa or Roger ever practice together or with Novak during the heyday of the Big 3

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Question..Did Rafa or Roger ever practice together or with Novak during the heyday of the Big 3

I don’t think they ever played practice sets, which I saw Carlos do with Novak, and lose it 7-6. I think Carlos team seen less savvy than Uncle Toni was, with regards to this stuff, and a few other things. I always liked the way Rafa played down his chances before a match then fought like a tiger during it. Carlos does seem to want to be seen as already being alongside those great players - and maybe he will be someday - but he should fixate on each match as it comes instead, imo…

Status
Not open for further replies.