2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

EYE-WATERING VIENNA OPEN FEE REQUESTED BY CARLOS ALCARAZ CONFIRMED AS TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR CALLS ADDING SPANIARD TOO EXPENSIVE

If this is true, it’s probably inevitable it happens because Charley has choices, you know, so to get him, you have to pay. But I also think it’s OTT as well. It’s an under the counter economy that might make it difficult to run a tourney, except with lower level players. I can only imagine the going rate for the Big 3, in their prime. Charley doesn’t get out of bed for less than €750,000..

Wow; yet another reason to kick Alcaraz off my fan list! I saw the arrogance early, but hadn't thought it had gone this far! Rafa probably was doing the same when he was a kid! Carlos at least won a couple majors & was the YE #1, unlike Agassi who hadn't won $#!t, but thought he was "tennis!" 'Image "truly" was everything' until '92 Wimbledon win 6-7 years into his career! Now Alcaraz has cut off his nose to spite his face! He really needed those 500 Vienna points to catch Novak for YE #1! I thought he was resting an injury, but it wound up being more about $$! WOW, again! :astonished-face: :fearful-face:

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow; yet another reason to kick Alcaraz off my fan list! I saw the arrogance early, but hadn't thought it had gone this far! Rafa probably was doing the same when he was a kid! Carlos at least won a couple majors & was the YE #1, unlike Agassi who hadn't won $#!t, but thought he was "tennis!" 'Image "truly" was everything' until '92 Wimbledon win 6-7 years into his career! Now Alcaraz has cut off his nose to spite his face! He really needed those 500 Vienna points to catch Novak for YE #1! I thought he was resting an injury, but it wound up being more about $$! WOW, again! :astonished-face: :fearful-face:
I think they all do it, brother. I doubt any of the best players are exempt from this. It’s the only way to guarantee they’ll play.

I don’t think it’s a good thing. The total official financial commitment to the tournament is €2,559,790, the total prize money is €2,409,835, the winner gets €450,650.

And Carlos wanted €750,000, just to turn up.

And I guarantee that if Novak was thinking to play, he’d have gotten €1,000,000.

And all of this must be legal, too.

Tennis: The Dubai Championships and the Power of Money

The tournament in Dubai and a few other millionaire exhibitions around the world exist to prove wrong the naive people who think that players like Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray no longer play for money.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think they all do it, brother. I doubt any of the best players are exempt from this. It’s the only way to guarantee they’ll play.

I don’t think it’s a good thing. The total official financial commitment to the tournament is €2,559,790, the total prize money is €2,409,835, the winner gets €450,650.

And Carlos wanted €750,000, just to turn up.

And I guarantee that if Novak was thinking to play, he’d have gotten €1,000,000.

And all of this must be legal, too.

Tennis: The Dubai Championships and the Power of Money

Of course they all do it, players like Federer, Rafa and Djokovic, demand high appearance fees, good luck to them if they get it,it means more bums on seats at tournaments,. I read that article about Charly asking for the fee the other day, I am still a fan btw lol!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Of course they all do it, players like Federer, Rafa and Djokovic, demand high appearance fees, good luck to them if they get it,it means bums on seats at tournaments,. I read that article about Charly asking for the fee the other day, I am still a fan btw lol!
Yeah it’s probably been going on for decades. It doesn’t change my opinion of Carlos, just because he’s managed well…

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah it’s probably been going on for decades. It doesn’t change my opinion of Carlos, just because he’s managed well…
Of course it has been going on for ages, players also receive appearance fees in exhibition tournaments that are played over a few days, good luck to them if they can get it. Carlos is a very grounded young man, has a great coach in JCF.

Reactions: tented and Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just finished watching Rune playing Baez in Basel, first time Rune has won back to back matches since Wimbledon, winning 76(2) 61, maybe hiring Becker was a good idea, still early days, this arrangement is only for the rest of the year, though could be extended for 2024

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Erste Bank Open,
QF matches, Friday October 27th,

D. Medvedev (1) vs K.Khachanov (5)
S.Tsitsipas (4) vs WC B.Gojo
A.Zverev (5) vs A.Rublev
J.Sinner (2) vs F.Tiafoe (7)

Reactions: tented and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Swiss Indoors, Basel,
QF matches, Friday 27th October,

H.Hurkacz (4) vs T.Griekspoor
U.Umbert vs WC D.Stricker
H.Rune (1) vs Tomas Martin Etcheverry
FAA WC (6) vs Q A.Shevechenko

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Of course they all do it, players like Federer, Rafa and Djokovic, demand high appearance fees, good luck to them if they get it,it means more bums on seats at tournaments,. I read that article about Charly asking for the fee the other day, I am still a fan btw lol!
We've all known about these appearance fees for a long time, but I'm not sure we've ever much discussed them. They've always made me fee a bit squeamish, but a) I figured stars deserve something of a portion for the fact that they are a huge draw, and b) I didn't realize how high they could be.

I found this article:

I can't account for "lobandsmash.com" as a source, but it says that Federer was paid $1M appearance fees more than once, in his heyday. It also says that players aren't required to give them back, if they don't appear. That seems rather wrong, since it's an "appearance fee." I'm not sure how you prevent this, if it should be prevented, since money can go under the table, or "charitable donations" can be made to a player's foundation. But, in the end, doesn't it come out of money that can be paid to lower-ranked players, in terms of the whole pot, and don't they need it more, to keep playing?

Thoughts?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Your selective derision is always amusing. Here is an article that says that Federer has commanded up to $1.1M in appearance fees, and Nadal and Djokovic up to $900K each.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
We've all known about these appearance fees for a long time, but I'm not sure we've ever much discussed them. They've always made me fee a bit squeamish, but a) I figured stars deserve something of a portion for the fact that they are a huge draw, and b) I didn't realize how high they could be.

I found this article:

I can't account for "lobandsmash.com" as a source, but it says that Federer was paid $1M appearance fees more than once, in his heyday. It also says that players aren't required to give them back, if they don't appear. That seems rather wrong, since it's an "appearance fee." I'm not sure how you prevent this, if it should be prevented, since money can go under the table, or "charitable donations" can be made to a player's foundation. But, in the end, does

Thoughts?
Quite frankly if a player for whatever reason cannot make a tournament, when they receive an appearance fee, I personally feel they should give it back to the tournament, main reason they were given the fee in the first place was to attract more fans, yes small tournaments cannot afford to fork out huge appearance fees.I like your idea of donating to 'charitable foundations'.At the end of the day it is all about bums on seats in tournaments and the money the fans can bring to the tournament

Last edited:
Reactions: tented and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Quite frankly if a player for whatever reason cannot make a tournament, when they receive an appearance fee, I personally feel they should give it back to the tournament, main reason they were given the fee in the first place was to attract more fans, yes small tournaments cannot afford to fork out huge appearance fees.I like your idea of donating to 'charitable foundations'.At the end of the day it is all about bums on seats in tournaments and the money the fans can bring to the tournament
I just get the impression that this "appearance fee" business is completely unregulated. I'm wondering if it ought to be.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm gonna be honest..if Roger was able to play he would still command and receive the highest appearance fee. I have NEVER seen one player even Venus or Serena draw as large a crowd as he does for a practice session.. Question. Cincinnati 2019 Novak playing on the stadium court and Roger having a practice session..who had the biggest followers? It was Roger. I saw grown ups actually standing on top of each other and fighting for viewing area through the fences. Roger is like the tennis Messiah

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I'm gonna be honest..if Roger was able to play he would still command and receive the highest appearance fee. I have NEVER seen one player even Venus or Serena draw as large a crowd as he does for a practice session.. Question. Cincinnati 2019 Novak playing on the stadium court and Roger having a practice session..who had the biggest followers? It was Roger. I saw grown ups actually standing on top of each other and fighting for viewing area through the fences. Roger is like the tennis Messiah.

It's been one of my biggest gripes over the years! I've said it over and over again that the Tennis Intelligentsia believe tennis begins & ends w/ Fedal! Even you who know better put Roger on an "Iconic" level or pedastal even though in 3rd place w/ 20 Majors! The WHOLE World thinks "Federer" when tennis is brought up; esp. as Wimbledon approaches! I jumped on the Novak train in 2011, seeing he was prob. able to overcome all obstacles to leap-frog Fedal; just not so soon! He's the last man standing of the Big 3 as he sets records that may never be broken! :fearful-face: :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I just get the impression that this "appearance fee" business is completely unregulated. I'm wondering if it ought to be.
I take your point with appearance fees 'wondering' if they ought to be regulated, wouldnt that have to be regulated through the ATP for starters?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm gonna be honest..if Roger was able to play he would still command and receive the highest appearance fee. I have NEVER seen one player even Venus or Serena draw as large a crowd as he does for a practice session.. Question. Cincinnati 2019 Novak playing on the stadium court and Roger having a practice session..who had the biggest followers? It was Roger. I saw grown ups actually standing on top of each other and fighting for viewing area through the fences. Roger is like the tennis Messiah
Point taken with Roger, I was crushed a few times just watching him practice at RG, Rome and the AO, I also went to the Davis Cup in 2011 when Roger played for Swiss at Rose Bay Sydney, again trying to get his autograph which I did get btw, though again I was crushed:)

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

I found this article:

I can't account for "lobandsmash.com" as a source, but it says that Federer was paid $1M appearance fees more than once, in his heyday. It also says that players aren't required to give them back, if they don't appear. That seems rather wrong, since it's an "appearance fee." I'm not sure how you prevent this, if it should be prevented, since money can go under the table, or "charitable donations" can be made to a player's foundation. But, in the end, doesn't it come out of money that can be paid to lower-ranked players, in terms of the whole pot, and don't they need it more, to keep playing?

Thoughts?
Yeah that’s the thing as well - they get it even if they don’t show? I’m sure that has to be related to injury, but they still get it because their name being attached had already sold out the tickets? Like you, I find the thing to be both natural and not unexpected - and shady.

And yeah, there’s a lot of sports websites that seem shady too! I bless myself before I open some of them…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
From Matteo Berrettini,
" Despite training at a high level for a few weeks my medical team has advised it would be a risk to compete in the final tournaments of the ATP season. I will take this opportunity to re-set ,re-build and start the year fully fit and healthy.It has been an extremely tough year but I'm looking forward to a full and successful season in 2024."

Status
Not open for further replies.