2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just finished watching Fils v Tsitispas in their SF at Antwerp with Fils winning in tight 2 sets 76(5) 76(4) this is his 2nd career win over a top ten player, Fils was serving for the match 5-4, broken, fought back strong to take the 2nd set and win.Fils will play Bublik in the final. Well done Arthur!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The draw has been done for ATP500 in Vienna, starting 23rd October,
Wild cards,
Dominic Thiem
Sebastian Ofner
Borna Gojo,

Some 'stand out 1st round matches,
Tsitsipas vs Thiem
Sinner vs Shelton
Medvedev vs Fils
Dimitrov vs Musetti
KK vs Safiulin
Tiafoe vs Evans

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Final,
Tokyo Tournament
Sunday 22nd October,

B.Shelton vs A. Karatsev

Stockholm Final,
Sunday 22nd October

Q P.Kotov vs G. Monfils ( first final for Gael in 2 years!)

Antwerp Final,
Sunday 22nd October,

A. Bublik (3) vs A. Fils
I'll be rooting for Shelton (to win his first title?), Monfils and (Non)Fils.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Just finished watching Fils v Tsitispas in their SF at Antwerp with Fils winning in tight 2 sets 76(5) 76(4) this is his 2nd career win over a top ten player, Fils was serving for the match 5-4, broken, fought back strong to take the 2nd set and win.Fils will play Bublik in the final. Well done Arthur!
Anyone winning over Tsitsipas is not an upset these days. Fils is a decent player no doubt, but put Stef in any kind of a pressure situation and he will fold.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I'll be rooting for Shelton (to win his first title?), Monfils and (Non)Fils.
Hi Moxie the way Alcaraz made his meteoric jump in the past two years is legendary.. however the improvements of Ben and Fils have been really outstanding..both players are racing towards the top 20. Have Players like Frances Tiafoe and Fritz appears to have reached their peeks? I think it's too early to say but it is surely trending that way.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Hi Moxie the way Alcaraz made his meteoric jump in the past two years is legendary.. however the improvements of Ben and Fils have been really outstanding..both players are racing towards the top 20. Have Players like Frances Tiafoe and Fritz appears to have reached their peeks? I think it's too early to say but it is surely trending that way.
I still need to see Fils prove it in a slam first. Shelton, on the other hand, is well on his way to a Top 5 world ranking with the way he consolidated his US Open result with his performances this fall. I think Fritz and Paul have peaked, but I think they've maxed out their talents. With Tiafoe, it's still a bit early to tell if it's a slump or if he has peaked. Less than six months ago, Tiafoe was in the Top 10 and winning tournaments. The next six months will paint a clearer picture, but I give Tiafoe more of a benefit of the doubt because I believe he is more talented than Fritz and Paul.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
(Non)Fils lost, but he has a bright future, I think. This was only his second final.

Unfortunately for Fils, he's got Medvedev in the 1st round of the upcoming Vienna event! Seems most top players going btwn. Swiss & Erste Bank except Novak & Carlos! They must be desperate for points! Should be quite a finish to the season w/ so much at stake! :fearful-face: :astonished-face: :face-with-head-bandage:

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I still need to see Fils prove it in a slam first. Shelton, on the other hand, is well on his way to a Top 5 world ranking with the way he consolidated his US Open result with his performances this fall. I think Fritz and Paul have peaked, but I think they've maxed out their talents. With Tiafoe, it's still a bit early to tell if it's a slump or if he has peaked. Less than six months ago, Tiafoe was in the Top 10 and winning tournaments. The next six months will paint a clearer picture, but I give Tiafoe more of a benefit of the doubt because I believe he is more talented than Fritz and Paul.
Ben needs to improve his return game by about 10% to 15% it is still a deficit in his game at present, he has become more patient from the baseline, with rallies.One of the things I like about Ben he dosent show a lot of nerves in big matches, if he does he hides it well

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He was on a good path since the US summer swing. Glad he managed to add this title to his resume.
Considering his injuries, which I feel in ways is the way he plays, he said this was to be his last year on the tour, lets see if he continues playing next year, with this title

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just finished watching on replay Bublik v Fils, one of the outstanding stats for Bublik he only dropped 12 points on his serve all week, ( 92%136/148), thats basically unplayable, especially as he was also breaking around 25% of the time. 11 aces for Bublik, 36 of 37 first serve points won, 3rd ATP title,Fils remains an almost certain qualifer for the season ending Next Gen ATP Finals

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Just finished watching on replay Bublik v Fils, one of the outstanding stats for Bublik he only dropped 12 points on his serve all week, ( 92%136/148), thats basically unplayable, especially as he was also breaking around 25% of the time. 11 aces for Bublik, 36 of 37 first serve points won, 3rd ATP title,Fils remains an almost certain qualifer for the season ending Next Gen ATP Finals
I'm glad you Good folks are watching tennis. As Keli @kskate2 will tell you. My first love is the NFL 49ers but Rafa is definitely 1b.. I just can't watch both sports

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I'm glad you Good folks are watching tennis. As Keli @kskate2 will tell you. My first love is the NFL 49ers but Rafa is definitely 1b.. I just can't watch both sports

Having the attn. span of a gnat, I'm all over the place! I take multi-tasking to the limits of my feeble Sr. brain! This morning alone I've been switching back & forth w/ NFL games, Skate America on NBC, You-Tube vids on my phone, & texting w/ bud about his Detroit Lions getting mauled by the Ravens! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Having the attn. span of a gnat, I'm all over the place! I take multi-tasking to the limits of my feeble Sr. brain! This morning alone I've been switching back & forth w/ NFL games, Skate America on NBC, You-Tube vids on my phone, & texting w/ bud about his Detroit Lions getting mauled by the Ravens! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Yeah I predicted the Ravens to defeat the Lions at home. Detroit Lions really only beat a KC team that didn't have Taylor Swift I mean Travis Kelce playing on opening night of the season.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Yeah I predicted the Ravens to defeat the Lions at home. Detroit Lions really only beat a KC team that didn't have Taylor Swift I mean Travis Kelce playing on opening night of the season.

That game looked bad due to the "stone-hands" of the receivers! They were sorely missing Tyreek even after SB win! Several times Mahomes delivered the ball right to them, but must have started runnng before securing it b/c they dropped a bunch! The worst teams looked better than KC in that 1st game of the season! They deserved to lose it! It caught up w/ them & Detroit; hence their lone loss! - - Watching repeat of Tokyo! Shelton seems like the real deal! His game takes me back to a past era long ago! Just wished he'd reign in some of that enthusiasm! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-head-bandage:

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher
Status
Not open for further replies.