2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Beemok Capital, the family office of Charleston -based businessman and philanthropist Benjamin Navarro, announced today the decision to keep the Western and Southern Open at the Lindner Family Tennis Center in Mason, just outside Cincinnati for another 25 years.
More than $200,000,000 will be invested in stadium improvements. It will be a 2 week event by 2025 ( source The Tennis Letter)
The Tennis Channel mentioned that Djoke and Coco were either investing or lobbying to get others to invest.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some Sad News,
Peter Lundgren, the former coach of Roger Federer, Stan Wawrinka and many other players, had to have his left foot amputated due to an infection.
Breaking News, The Tennis Channel mentioned the Danish Angel has hired Becker as his new coach and their first tourney will be the Stockholm 250 this week
I saw photos on Twitter of Rune and Becker in practice at Monaco, last week, so I am not surprised he has hired Becker, it will be interesting to see, how this coaching arrangement pans out

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Breaking News, The Tennis Channel mentioned the Danish Angel has hired Becker as his new coach and their first tourney will be the Stockholm 250 this week
Really? That’s the most interesting thing that’s happened since the USO. I always thought that Boris was more a sidekick to the great Marjan Vajda, that his coaching was specific to certain areas where he had expertise as a former great. I think it’s a great bold move by Rune - hopefully it works!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Some Sad News,
Peter Lundgren, the former coach of Roger Federer, Stan Wawrinka and many other players, had to have his left foot amputated due to an infection.

I saw photos on Twitter of Rune and Becker in practice at Monaco, last week, so I am not surprised he has hired Becker, it will be interesting to see, how this coaching arrangement pans out
That’s sad news about Lundgren, always liked him..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos Alcaraz withdraws from Basel tournament ( gluteal muscle problem,inflammation of sole of his left foot), ( BTW Djokovic will arrive in Paris with a 500 point lead in the year end # 1 Race).
Stan Wawrinka will move into the main draw.

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
No one's watching the events before Paris? Plenty happening in Stockholm, Japan, & Antwerp! #1 seed Rune lost in Stockholm, Shanghai winner Hurkacz dropped his 1st match in Japan, & #4 seed Fils continues winning at European! FAA must be desperate for points, skipping his defense of Antwerp to play in Japan which is a 500 level event! Top players have to be careful due to many upsets! The 1st match from last night was Ruud dropping his 2nd Rd. to Giron! Watching Casper now & it's quite amusing & sad at the same time! He almost smashed his racket after losing break up he had in the 2nd set! I wonder why we think he should do better? His 3 major finals is something that may never happen again! He's been on a heater for a couple seasons, but players have figured him out! I've always said he's one of those player w/o a real weapon! His game is defensive and he thrives on UFE of his opponents! Marcos was hitting winners and smashing away overheads to the frustration of Ruud! :face-with-head-bandage: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rune loses again ( just one win since Wimbledon) opens a big chance for Fritz to pass him already this week in the ATP Race
I watched the match Rune back is still giving trouble, Boris Becker cant help a bad back, rest does.Kecmanovic d Rune 76 (3) 62 into the QFs at Stockholm
For the life of me why did Hubi commit to Tokyo just after winning Masters in Shanghai, he should have withdrawn, anyway he lost his first match to ZZ.:)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The upsets just keep on coming,
Shintaro Machizuki #215, who didnt have a single ATP win before this week, beats the defending champion and top seed Taylor Fritz 06 64 76(2) to reach the QFs in Tokyo, came back from 2-5 in the 3rd set ( Fritz was serving for the match in the 3rd set)
Huge blow for Friz finals chances he was 2 wins away from passing Rune #8
Now #12 Paul and #13 De Minaur both in the QFs in Tokyo can get closer

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos Alcaraz, Novak Djokovic, Aryna Sabalenka,Ons Jabeur will play in Saudi Arabia's Riyadh Season Cup Exhibition, December 26-27

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Regarding the new coaching arrangement between Rune and Becker, this is only for the tournaments for the rest of the year., Basel, Paris and if Rune makes the finals in Turin, after that we'll decided whether the cooperation has a future and whether we'll go into 2024 together.Becker wont be able to enter Britain next year if he is coaching Rune then. ( source The Telegraph).

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Djokovic plans to play doubles in Bercy next week! It's guessed he's preparing for Davis Cup as well as getting extra practice in! That volley's coming along very nicely! He was punching them away against Carlos in Cincy! The lead up events to Paris have been devastated by upsets! Fritz going out this morning in Japan after taking a "Luv set" from Mochizuki the most shocking! The locals have to be quite happy! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
ATP250 Sofia Indoor tournament, the event has been added to 2023 ATP calendar and will take place as single year licence, 5th to 11th November, replacing the Tel Aviv Watergen open ( due to outbreak of war in the region) .

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Not sure it's Breaking News, but it's been announced Carlos has some kind of physical issue so he'll be WithDrawing from Basel next week at Swiss Indoor! Wawrinka's taking his place in the draw after dropping his 2nd Round match today in Stockholm to LL Macháč! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face::fearful-face::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not sure it's Breaking News, but it's been announced Carlos has some kind of physical issue so he'll be WithDrawing from Basel next week at Swiss Indoor! Wawrinka's taking his place in the draw after dropping his 2nd Round match today in Stockholm to LL Macháč! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face::fearful-face::face-with-tears-of-joy:
Explain to me why this inspires a laughing emoji? You're such a hypocrite. You wanted new blood, but when it actually threatens Djokovic, you're all giggles, if a man is injured?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.