2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
People were so sure Carlos would come back to overtake Novak for #1! While Novak is not defending his pts. at Astana or Tele Viv, he's skipping Shanghai as well! Alcaraz needed to win China & do well for the rest of the season! I don't think it's gonna happen! Looks as if he's going to come up short unless he wins out thru Paris & the YEC! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face: :astonished-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Carlos would have been wiser to skip the Hopman Cup (for sure) and maybe China altogether, and instead of playing so much, let him miss the game a little, get some space and grow hungry for it. I think he ought not to play matches every available week. He needs to give himself space away from the limelight a little, to help his development..

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Carlos would have been wiser to skip the Hopman Cup (for sure) and maybe China altogether, and instead of playing so much, let him miss the game a little, get some space and grow hungry for it. I think he ought not to play matches every available week. He needs to give himself space away from the limelight a little, to help his development..
Players his age aren't accustomed to winning so much! It's why the young players are breaking down so early and often! JCF should've cancelled CA's participation in that stupid Hopman event! Many say he made a promise to play, but after Wimbledon win, he really needed to rest & it's costing him! :astonished-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2 and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Players his age aren't accustomed to winning so much! It's why the young players are breaking down so early and often! JCF should've cancelled CA's par6ticipation in that stupid Hopman event! Many say he made a promise to play, but after Wimbledon win, he really needed to rest & it's costing him! :astonished-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
It’s a dose of Spanish flu, the Spaniards all get it. Wreaks havoc with their scheduling. We know from previous young great players when they reach so high, they often have a slump while they try to process it all. Sampras, Roger, Novak, all had breakthroughs of different sorts when young and needed to be sheltered a bit after. Carlos definitely is too enthusiastic to play, highly ambitious, but you’re right, his coach should be putting a hand on his shoulder and saying, slow down, take a break. Learn to miss the game..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
2 important factors that Charly needs to address is his BP conversion, he has struggled with his BP conversion rate since Wimbledon, 2nd factor is, I dont mind aggressive 2nd serve returns, but he needs to realize that sometimes you need to make them and get into the rally first.
Pleasing aspect of Jannik in the match was his ability to hit through Charly, well done young man.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I checked the BP conversion percentage for the Big Three plus Carlos.

Nadal - 45%
Federer - 41%
Djokovic - 44%
Alcaraz - 41%

So Charly is in the same area.

The problem with BP conversion rates represented by one number is you don’t get a proper feel for when they did and did not convert them. Who were they playing when the rate was good or bad? I remember Federer converting (I think) 1/13 BPs in the 08 Wimbledon final, and 1/17 in the RG final that year — abysmal numbers. But when facing other opponents, his conversion rate had to have been much higher.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
It’s a dose of Spanish flu, the Spaniards all get it. Wreaks havoc with their scheduling. We know from previous young great players when they reach so high, they often have a slump while they try to process it all. Sampras, Roger, Novak, all had breakthroughs of different sorts when young and needed to be sheltered a bit after. Carlos definitely is too enthusiastic to play, highly ambitious, but you’re right, his coach should be putting a hand on his shoulder and saying, slow down, take a break. Learn to miss the game..
Looks like you're going to get your wish. Alcaraz is withdrawing from all tournaments until the Australian Open: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/te...4562fc162ef48fb0b103&ocid=winp2fptaskbar&ei=5

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Looks like you're going to get your wish. Alcaraz is withdrawing from all tournaments until the Australian Open: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/te...4562fc162ef48fb0b103&ocid=winp2fptaskbar&ei=5
No, read it closely:

”The Spanish tennis player Carlos Alcaraz has decided to withdraw his applications from all the tournaments that come before the Australian Open at the beginning of 2024. At the beginning of this season, the second racket of the world missed the Grand Slam in Melbourne due to an injury he suffered in those preparatory tournaments, so he did not he wants something like that to happen to him again.”

He’s withdrawing from the pre-AO tournaments next year.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would like to add something about break point conversion(s): Sometimes it is harder for the receiver to break serve on break points because they have to be more reactionary than initiative. It is the opposite for the server when facing BPs. They mostly have control on what shot they can hit during those moments. In addition, they have to be aggressive because if not, the receiver will pounce the ball.

Reactions: tented

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I checked the BP conversion percentage for the Big Three plus Carlos.

Nadal - 45%
Federer - 41%
Djokovic - 44%
Alcaraz - 41%

So Charly is in the same area.

The problem with BP conversion rates represented by one number is you don’t get a proper feel for when they did and did not convert them. Who were they playing when the rate was good or bad? I remember Federer converting (I think) 1/13 BPs in the 08 Wimbledon final, and 1/17 in the RG final that year — abysmal numbers. But when facing other opponents, his conversion rate had to have been much higher.
The return of serve depends on the psychological state of the player. You can’t practice it. You’re right about Federer, against Rafa his numbers dived, basically because he feared retaliation, but he didn’t fear retaliation against anyone else. Rafa was in his head. Roger over-compensated, under-hit, over-hit. Over-thought it. Because he wasn’t confident.

Carlos numbers are fine. He’s making chances and he’ll take them when he’s ready. He took them at Wimbledon. But he’s young and we’re expecting him to be too perfect, and someday maybe he will be, but now he’s still learning, as we saw in America..

Reactions: kskate2 and tented

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Quick interesting fact: Jannik Sinner has beaten Carlos Alcaraz in a 250, 500, M1000 and Slam tournament(s). The only thing that is missing is for Sinner to beat Alcaraz in the ATP Final tournament.

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_4342.jpeg

Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Quick interesting fact: Jannik Sinner has beaten Carlos Alcaraz in a 250, 500, M1000 and Slam tournament(s). The only thing that is missing is for Sinner to beat Alcaraz in the ATP Final tournament.
Hey RN, remind me what slam did he clip Charlie?

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am a big fan of Charly, though I feel he plays the same way against all players he faces, I believe he has to change this, Rafa and Novak play either more defensive tennis or offensive tennis depending on their opponents, I realize Charly is young, and still this is a learning curve going forward in his career.Another factor in his match against Sinner he wanted to 'out hit' Sinner, which he is capable of doing, but it's not a tactic that maximises his chances of success. Charly has a larger tool box, but at times you can't tell from the matches between them.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
No, read it closely:

”The Spanish tennis player Carlos Alcaraz has decided to withdraw his applications from all the tournaments that come before the Australian Open at the beginning of 2024. At the beginning of this season, the second racket of the world missed the Grand Slam in Melbourne due to an injury he suffered in those preparatory tournaments, so he did not he wants something like that to happen to him again.”

He’s withdrawing from the pre-AO tournaments next year.
I would prefer Charly to play at least 1 warm up tournament before the AO in 2024.I think an area he needs to strengthen is his quads, for season 2024.BTW tennis is coming back to Brisbane in 2024, with an ATP250 event starting 31st December - 7th January 2024.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Since Sinner played Djokovic twice on grass, my guess' at Wimbledon last yr. in the 4th Rd.! IDK how he does it! Jannik seems to have Carlos' #! :-)2
What # is that? It’s 4-3 for Sinner in total and they’ve shared the last four..

:popcorn

Reactions: Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I would prefer Charly to play at least 1 warm up tournament before the AO in 2024.I think an area he needs to strengthen is his quads, for season 2024.BTW tennis is coming back to Brisbane in 2024, with an ATP250 event starting 31st December - 7th January 2024.
Yeah I don’t understand that scheduling. Brisbane sounds like a sensible option if he wants to have time to himself before the Australian..

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
He appears a bit superstitious. Because he pulled a muscle getting ready for Aus this year, he doesn't want to risk a repeat.

Reactions: don_fabio
Status
Not open for further replies.