2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Not that Sinner wins every time, but that he worries Carlos & now has a winning H2H edge! Nothing sinister in the comment! It's a great rivalry! :fearful-face:
Ah yeah but if you have a players number it means you’re beating them all the time because you’re in their head. Carlos has nobody like that. This is a close rivalry now but I’d generally expect Carlos to win the big matches between them…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seriously, this title in Beijing for Sinner is far more impressive than his Masters win in Toronto, just my opinion, where he took full advantage of a decent draw, here in Beijing he went through Alcaraz and Medvedev back to back without dropping a set. Jannik qualifies for the ATP Finals for the first time. ( played in 2021 as an alternative)

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Seriously, this title in Beijing for Sinner is far more impressive than his Masters win in Toronto, just my opinion, where he took full advantage of a decent draw, here in Beijing he went through Alcaraz and Medvedev back to back without dropping a set. Jannik qualifies for the ATP Finals for the first time. ( played in 2021 as an alternative)
It does look more impressive this title. Probably the highest level of play from Sinner I've seen so far and against 2 very tough opponents.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It does look more impressive this title. Probably the highest level of play from Sinner I've seen so far and against 2 very tough opponents.
Agree, his serve especially against Meddy was key, also he has improved his net play and transition to the net, I feel that is Cahill's influence,

Reactions: don_fabio

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
“Australian Marc Polmans has apologised after accidentally hitting an umpire in the face with the ball during a Shanghai Masters qualifying match.

Polmans was on match point against Italy's Stefano Napolitano when he hit a volley into the net before smashing the ball in frustration and catching chair umpire Ben Anderson in the face.”

This is very sad, and not just for the unfortunate umpire: Polmans lost all his earnings from getting that far, and any ranking points, both of which I’m sure he needs. The punishment is fitting but the tragedy is that he did this to himself, at what should have been the biggest moment in his tennis life..

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I still think Sinner's level at 2022 Wimbledon was a little better than this. Though he didn't win it, he looked impressive against Alcaraz and early in the match against Djokovic. Plus, that was a slam, not some random event like the Umag or Beijing.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
“Australian Marc Polmans has apologised after accidentally hitting an umpire in the face with the ball during a Shanghai Masters qualifying match.

Polmans was on match point against Italy's Stefano Napolitano when he hit a volley into the net before smashing the ball in frustration and catching chair umpire Ben Anderson in the face.”

This is very sad, and not just for the unfortunate umpire: Polmans lost all his earnings from getting that far, and any ranking points, both of which I’m sure he needs. The punishment is fitting but the tragedy is that he did this to himself, at what should have been the biggest moment in his tennis life..
Disqualified on MP. :facepalm:

The article is incorrect in the final paragraph: “Victory would have seen the 26-year-old reach the main draw of a ATP 1000 event for the first time.” He did have to qualify, but he was already in the main draw.

Reactions: Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Face palm, indeed. How frustrated are you feeling when you're a point away from winning?? I don't feel the least bit sorry...that guy has no governor. Or someone has been giving him the idea that this kind of theatrics is a good show.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Face palm, indeed. How frustrated are you feeling when you're a point away from winning?? I don't feel the least bit sorry...that guy has no governor. Or someone has been giving him the idea that this kind of theatrics is a good show.
The tour has bitten him back, so. This is why I’d be swift to deliver disqualification for racket abuse etc. Players will learn, and the game will benefit. I still feel some sympathy for him though…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

One of the reports I read about this which was on Twitter said Marc did it in a fit of anger? very unlike Marc and out of character I must say, I am not condoning what he did and the rule states automatic disqualification, hard lesson learnt.

Reactions: Kieran

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

The article is incorrect in the final paragraph: “Victory would have seen the 26-year-old reach the main draw of a ATP 1000 event for the first time.” He did have to qualify, but he was already in the main draw.

I didn't think I'd see anything worse than Nalbandian getting tossed for the exact same thing @ 2012 Queens Chp.! He just kicked a chair AD, but injured a linesman's shin! David was winning the match comfortably over Cilic, but blew up out of nowhere when close to winning! It was insane behavior at the time! I've lost it, but never hurt anyone; except their ears while being profane! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Dominic Thiem and Sebastian Ofner have been awarded wild cards for main draw at ATP500 Vienna

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I still think Sinner's level at 2022 Wimbledon was a little better than this. Though he didn't win it, he looked impressive against Alcaraz and early in the match against Djokovic. Plus, that was a slam, not some random event like the Umag or Beijing.
I get Umag being a 250 event. But calling Beijing a "random" event is kinda disrespectful. Also, Sinner is a better player now than he was 12 or 13 months ago!

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The most fascinating thing(s) about Sinner's wins against Alcaraz and Medvedev is that he won three tiebreakers! More often than not, Sinner will lose these tiebreakers against the Top 3 due to having a not reliable serve on clutch moments.

In addition, he won a match against Medvedev in which he never lost serve AND he did not break the opponent's serve. Usually, when he does not break serve, he will lose the match due to his own serve not being reliable on clutch moments.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Beemok Capital, the family office of Charleston -based businessman and philanthropist Benjamin Navarro, announced today the decision to keep the Western and Southern Open at the Lindner Family Tennis Center in Mason, just outside Cincinnati for another 25 years.
More than $200,000,000 will be invested in stadium improvements. It will be a 2 week event by 2025 ( source The Tennis Letter)

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
We won! The Western & Southern Open belongs in Cincinnati.

I guess they could move the Winston Salem tournament to Charlotte, or if Larry Ellison sells, BNP Paribas could be moved from Indian Wells to Charlotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.