2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I was in China for a shoot some years ago, and we were well taken care of by our local service company. We didn't really have much time to explore on our own. Still, we basically all got some gastrointestinal illness by the end of 7 days. China can be rough travel, even in the best of circumstances, and we barely got out of Beijing. We shot in some dodgy locations, though. The hutongs and open-air markets make for great film, but they're not the cleanest. I promise not to share what the toilettes were like. But I did learn to use hand sanitizer on that job, way before the pandemic.
China is very dirty w/ Beijing probably being at the top of the list and no we won't talk about the toilets since most were a hole in the floor anyway. I felt Shanghai and even Tianjin was a little cleaner, but still took precautions when we ate. South Korea was better and Japan is a palace compared to the other two I mentioned.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
don't like this at all. The USO did this for years until they recently changed the policy.
I like the way the US Open did it, though, from Monday-Monday in 2008-2014 - the peak of the Federer/Nadal/Djokovic days. The Monday final basically led into Week 1 Monday Night Football, which brought in a lot more viewers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Medvedev easily beat Zverev, 6-4, 6-3 in a little under 1.5 hours. He was playing very well.

Next up: Alcaraz/Sinner. I hope it’s another exciting match between these guys.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Young Chaz is in a brawl, eh?
yep and I hate sounding like a broken record, but it's his BP conv rate. He's not returning well enough against the elite. It bleeds over to the rest of his game. He can get away w/ it against just about everybody else, but when he matches up w/ top ten, it's exposed.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
yep and I hate sounding like a broken record, but it's his BP conv rate. He's not returning well enough against the elite. It bleeds over to the rest of his game. He can get away w/ it against just about everybody else, but when he matches up w/ top ten, it's exposed.
I’m not concerned about his bp conversion rate. That’s always an issue of confidence and surety, it’s not something he can practice. But we’ve seen since Wimbledon that he’s down a notch while he’s adjusting.

Final set singles matches only in the Hopman Cup, Canada, Cinci. He still did well while not playing great. USO semi. I think he’ll pull himself out of this but it’s no harm for him to go through it either. The BP’s will improve when he’s settled again..

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I’m not concerned about his bp conversion rate. That’s always an issue of confidence and surety, it’s not something he can practice. But we’ve seen since Wimbledon that he’s down a notch while he’s adjusting.

Final set singles matches only in the Hopman Cup, Canada, Cinci. He still did well while not playing great. USO semi. I think he’ll pull himself out of this but it’s no harm for him to go through it either. The BP’s will improve when he’s settled again..

Well Sinner completed the match on a run! Carlito looked as if he was anxious to get out of town! He was up 40-15; still got broken late! WOW! :astonished-face:

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2 and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well Sinner completed the match on a run! Carlito looked as if he was anxious to get out of town! He was up 40-15; still got broken late! WOW! :astonished-face:
Sinner likes playing Carlos, doesn’t he? They have a nice run of great matches in their rivalry - today wasn’t one of them, though..

Reactions: tented and Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Another broken rec. here; Carlos "goes for broke" too often trying to make the highlight reel! When it works, he looks great! The UFE were ugly here! :facepalm:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Another broken rec. here; Carlos "goes for broke" too often trying to make the highlight reel! When it works, he looks great! The UFE were ugly here! :facepalm:
yep, that's definitely an issue I'm not sure he will temper.

Reactions: Fiero425

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
guess he's in a hurry to get to Shanghai. Maybe he and JCF have a reservation for Peking Duck on Wed. :thumbs-up:
Stop, you’re making me hungry. Have chicken thighs in for dinner but crispy duck and a Chinese takeaway sounds good right now!

:popcorn

• Love
Reactions: kskate2

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Jannik Sinner will be officially World Number 4 in the rankings on the week of October 9th!
People were so sure Carlos would come back to overtake Novak for #1! While Novak is not defending his pts. at Astana or Tele Viv, he's skipping Shanghai as well! Alcaraz needed to win China & do well for the rest of the season! I don't think it's gonna happen! Looks as if he's going to come up short unless he wins out thru Paris & the YEC! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face: :astonished-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Status
Not open for further replies.