2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
For the most part (with the exception of Indian Wells in March, which feels out of place to me), I'm okay with the schedule from the beginning of the year until the US Open. It's the part in between the US Open and the ATP/WTA Finals that need to be fixed. I don't know what the solution is, but it's clear that anything is pretty much better than what we have currently.

Back in the day, the WTA used to have the Virginia Slims tournaments, which produced some great tennis in the fall. So many memorable matches between Graf, Seles, Capriati, Sabatini, etc. in the early 90s. (Thank goodness for YouTube, which proves these matches happened.) Maybe having something similar to that for the 2 months in between the US Open and ATP/WTA Finals might be the way to go. But these filler tournaments today, especially with the WTA (where the top players don't show up), just don't do it.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Players like to have time off over Christmas, without going to play MS tourneys. They often do lucrative exhibitions then, too, so they can truly feck up their chances of winning in Oz…

I stopped listening to all that catterwalling amd b!tchin' about the tennis schedule ages ago; esp. from MEN after they whored themselves out for that Indian Team Tennis thing a few years ago! They're always whining about injuries and being tired by year's end, but it never seemed to stop them from playing exhibitions and other events in the off season! Most here are too young to remember the season has always been long; even longer when the YE Masters event was played in January up to 1986! That's the reason Lendl has a noteworthy record of winning it twice that year! He won it in January for the end of '85, then again in Nov. for the '86 season! Same for Martina Navratilova when she won the Virginia Slims YE tourney in March, then again in Nov, 1986! Only the very top men made significant monies back then, but w/ all the tourneys being created, even someone in the top 200 can make a few million over the years! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :angry-face:

Last edited:
Reactions: tented and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I stopped listening to all that catterwalling amd b!tchin' about the tennis schedule ages ago; esp. from MEN after they whored themselves out for that Indian Team Tennis thing a few years ago! They're always whining about injuries and being tired by year's end, but it never seemed to stop them from playing exhibitions and other events in the off season! Mostb here are too young to remember the season has always been long; even longer when the YE Masters event was played in January up to 1986! That's the reason Lendl has a noteworthy record of winning it twice that year! He won it in January for the end of '85, then again in Nov. for the '86 season! Same for Martina Navratilova when she won the Virginia Slims YE tourney in March, then again in Nov, 1986! Only the very top men made significant monies back then, but w/ all the tourneys being created, even someone in the top 200 can make a few million over the years! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :angry-face:
Totally agree, brother. Rafa and Novak played that Indian thingy at the end of 2013. It was a money earner for those wealthy boys but look how they did in Australia. Anything they commit to that gets in the way of players being at their best at the slams is self-sabotage…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah that’s a great lineup. Hopefully the stands are full for them. Not going to be surprised by any finalists but I think we’ll have a replay of the USO semifinal..
Seeing Jannik threw up during his match, apparently been suffering from a cold, also he ate something that disagreed with him, I cant see him winning against Charly, Charly is in a good position at this time of the year he has not a lot of points to defend, so every match or tournament is a bonus for him. Their H2H is 3 all

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Australian Open will now start on a Sunday in 2024, becoming a 15 day event for the first time. The move to a Sunday is designed to help alleviate the pressure on late night finishes for players and fans, according to Craig Tiley. The first round will be played over 3 days instead of 2.
The competition will start Sunday 14th January

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
The Australian Open will now start on a Sunday in 2024, becoming a 15 day event for the first time. The move to a Sunday is designed to help alleviate the pressure on late night finishes for players and fans, according to Craig Tiley. The first round will be played over 3 days instead of 2.
The competition will start Sunday 14th January
don't like this at all. The USO did this for years until they recently changed the policy.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Seeing Jannik threw up during his match, apparently been suffering from a cold, also he ate something that disagreed with him, I cant see him winning against Charly, Charly is in a good position at this time of the year he has not a lot of points to defend, so every match or tournament is a bonus for him. Their H2H is 3 all
Ugggh. Hopefully he didn't eat anything from a roadside stand.

• Haha
Reactions: tented and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Ugggh. Hopefully he didn't eat anything from a roadside stand.
They recommend not to in all the guide books. Hopefully he’s not got a dose of the trots too. Don’t want this chap falling foul of toilet breaks rules.

I can smell a withdrawal, all the way from China…

• Haha
Reactions: tented and kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
They recommend not to in all the guide books. Hopefully he’s not got a dose of the trots too. Don’t want this chap falling foul of toilet breaks rules.

I can smell a withdrawal, all the way from China…
Even though they recommend not to, you'd be surprised how many people still do it (including the eating of anything not cooked)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I have been to Asia and only eaten in my hotel, that was recommended to me which in hindsight was a good tip
For sure. You can go out to a restaurant, but you have to do your research and make sure they are above board. You're right, if you don't have the patience or desire to do that, than yes, eat at your hotel.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
don't like this at all. The USO did this for years until they recently changed the policy.
I'm not sure why you don't like it. Can you illuminate?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have been to Asia and only eaten in my hotel, that was recommended to me which in hindsight was a good tip
I was in China for a shoot some years ago, and we were well taken care of by our local service company. We didn't really have much time to explore on our own. Still, we basically all got some gastrointestinal illness by the end of 7 days. China can be rough travel, even in the best of circumstances, and we barely got out of Beijing. We shot in some dodgy locations, though. The hutongs and open-air markets make for great film, but they're not the cleanest. I promise not to share what the toilettes were like. But I did learn to use hand sanitizer on that job, way before the pandemic.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I was in China for a shoot some years ago, and we were well taken care of by our local service company. We didn't really have much time to explore on our own. Still, we basically all got some gastrointestinal illness by the end of 7 days. China can be rough travel, even in the best of circumstances, and we barely got out of Beijing. We shot in some dodgy locations, though. The hutongs and open-air markets make for great film, but they're not the cleanest. I promise not to share what the toilettes were like. But I did learn to use hand sanitizer on that job, way before the pandemic.
I have visited Singapore which is a very clean city and if you drop anything on the streets you will have a very heavy fine, there were huge street food stalls day and night, although they looked okay I still ate in my hotel, it seemed most Asian countries have food street stalls, Hong Kong another country I visited, Shanghai, and Malaysia, countries that I also visited were the same, though in Malaysia I found the country quite dirty, especially in the city, I ate in my hotels

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_4326.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.