2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
True enough! An accomplishment that may never be matched in my lifetime! Not sure how many will try that seriously! I'm still SMH over 2004 winner Nicolás Massú! WHO? :astonished-face: I wasn't watching the tour that closely & definitely ignored the Summer Olympics! So whenever I think of it, I have to look him up! Each time I either learn something new or just need the basic reminder! I have no idea who that guy is, but his record said he won the Singles & Doubles OGM in Athens! I'm not sure if that takes off some of the shine!:astonished-face: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

If Andy's accomplishment is ever going to be matched, it will be by Rafa at RG next year. The Olympics being BO3 format will definitely help a 38-year-old Rafa.

Regarding 2004, that was a Federer peak year, and you would have just assumed that he won the Olympic Gold that year. Federer really dominated that year, Massu winning Olympic Gold and Gaston Gaudio winning the French Open just seems so random and out of place.

Reactions: Fiero425

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nehmeth,

You must have finished watching the Murray vs De Minaur match by now, you must of watched it on a delay stream, the Asian swing suits my time zone thank goodness
All I can say Alex will be visiting Andy in his nightmares tonight
Alex saved 3 MPs and came back from being 2-5 in the 3rd set to win the match 63 57 76
Alex now has a H2H against Murray 5-0
I watched the last set. I watched Andy completely lose his :pile-of-poo:…. over and over again. He could have been called for racquet abuse 4x or more. The stream of expletives flying out of his mouth with the camera on him would have been funny, but he just looked crazy. Murray is clunking around the court like the Tinman. He’s 40 in the world and I doubt he gets much higher.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I watched the last set. I watched Andy completely lose his :pile-of-poo:…. over and over again. He could have been called for racquet abuse 4x or more. The stream of expletives flying out of his mouth with the camera on him would have been funny, but he just looked crazy. Murray is clunking around the court like the Tinman. He’s 40 in the world and I doubt he gets much higher.
His serve let him down big time when he needed it, I have been up close and personal at the AO courtside many years ago when Andy and his mouth were on fire! I must say he has gotten better over the years, especially when Lendl became his coach. I have to give him credit coming back with his hip surgeries, a lot of players would have retired, I believe he can retire on his own terms, he has earnt it. Maybe 2024 will be his last on the tour.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Pennetta should have gotten in first ballot. She has the complete package in both singles (grand slam champion) and doubles (former #1 player), plus had considerable longevity. With this year not being a strong class of nominees, I'll be surprised if she doesn't get in this time. There are people with less credentials than Pennetta in the Tennis HOF.

Moya and Ivanovic are a cut below Pennetta, and I think fall short of the HOF. While they had similar singles credentials as Pennetta, they don't have the doubles resume or the consistency/longevity as Pennetta, and that hurts their case for the HOF.
Wrong again. This isn't a popularity contest. Flavia doesn't have #1 in singles on her resume. W/o that and a 2nd slam, she will not be a first ballot HOFer. Likely the other people w/ less credentials you mentioned had to wait awhile to get in too. Now as you say, she will probably get it this year when compared w/ the other classmates, but the only way to guarantee entry w/ a first time ballot is to have that number 1 ranking and two slams or multiple slams, period like Muzz and Stan. And even there if they retire at the same time, Andy would have the edge over Stan in that class because he reached #1

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Murray should be a first ballot HOF after he retires, but I have to wonder if playing these last 4 or 5 years have hurt his legacy. He should have stuck to his original plan and called it a day after the 2019 Australian Open.
he's already a shoe in because of what he did in the past, just like Carlitos is already a first ballot HOF and he is nowhere near the end.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I don’t believe in a HOF, for tennis or rock music, or anything, really. A great tennis players reputation doesn’t change just because a committee somewhere invites them to dinner…
There's dinner you say, old chap! Why didn't you tell me?

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Musetti playing Karen and I just tuned in for the third set. Mole’s one handed backhand is monstrous today. His thinking on court is better than I have seen from him in some time. Karen is unable to hit him off the court.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Medvedev had 3 ufe’s on his groundstrokes in his destruction of Tommy Paul. Yikes.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
If Andy's accomplishment is ever going to be matched, it will be by Rafa at RG next year. The Olympics being BO3 format will definitely help a 38-year-old Rafa.

Regarding 2004, that was a Federer peak year, and you would have just assumed that he won the Olympic Gold that year. Federer really dominated that year, Massu winning Olympic Gold and Gaston Gaudio winning the French Open just seems so random and out of place.

I was thinking more of B2B OGM! Winning 2 over 20 yrs isn't as impressive IMO w/ it being BO3! Being played on clay hopefully won't save Rafa! :facepalm:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Nothing new here! Sir Andy has been a terror on the court for yrs screaming to the rooftops! Funny, he can get away w/ it, but few others; NOT! :face-with-head-bandage:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Medvedev had 3 ufe’s on his groundstrokes in his destruction of Tommy Paul. Yikes.

Watched that match in between watching the womens matches in Tokyo, on at the same time, Meddy was in the zone and if he can produce that type of form he will be hard to beat

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
QFs ATP500 China Open, Monday 2nd October,

D.Medvedev (2) vs U.Humbert
A.Zverev (8) vs N.Jarry
J.Sinner (6) vs G.Dimitrov
C.Alcaraz (1) vs C.Ruud (7)

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How on earth tennis tournaments got out of sync? They supposed to end on a Sunday. Now it's Monday and they play QF in Asia and is this semis of Astana right now? It feels wrong.

Reactions: Kieran

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
How on earth tennis tournaments got out of sync? They supposed to end on a Sunday. Now it's Monday and they play QF in Asia and is this semis of Astana right now? It feels wrong.
Yeah, I really didn't miss those tournaments the last 3 years. I wish the ATP didn't bring them back because they don't really add anything for me. If anything, they should probably do the ATP Finals the last 2 weeks of September. If they want to do Asia, it should be in November/December to kick off a new season and ramp up to the Australian Open.

Reactions: Fiero425

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, I really didn't miss those tournaments the last 3 years. I wish the ATP didn't bring them back because they don't really add anything for me. If anything, they should probably do the ATP Finals the last 2 weeks of September. If they want to do Asia, it should be in November/December to kick off a new season and ramp up to the Australian Open.
You have a lot of wishes when it comes to the ATP calendar changes :) I believe Asia is here to stay.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Players like to have time off over Christmas, without going to play MS tourneys. They often do lucrative exhibitions then, too, so they can truly feck up their chances of winning in Oz…

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
You have a lot of wishes when it comes to the ATP calendar changes :) I believe Asia is here to stay.
Not just the ATP, but the entire tennis calendar period.

I will say this, they haven't played in China for years and I thought they were ready to host tennis again. But looking at the stands all week and they haven't been full which is disappointing.

Reactions: don_fabio
Status
Not open for further replies.