2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Just listened to Cameron "down under" letting me know there are some crazy match-ups in the opening round at China Open! It's looking like a Masters event except Novak's skipping it! Poor FAA; dropping in the ranks & will have to open against Rune! Murray gets in due to WD's; typical w/ today's players! They're such snow-flakes due to the speed of the game! They'll never be able to have sustained greatness as The Big 3! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Here are the 2024 Hall of Fame Induction Candidates,
Carlos Moya
Daniel Nestor
Leander Paes
Cara Black
Ana Ivanovic
Flavia Pennetta

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
ATP500 Beijing returns to the ATP calendar starting Sept 28th with one of the draws of the year,
Following matches are 1st rounds,
Musetti v KK
Rune v FAA Rune has recovered from his pinched nerve in his back and also he has go back to his original coach Lars Christensen
Sinner v Evans
Zverev v Schwartzman
Tsitsipas v Jarry
Rublev v Norrie
Murray v De Minaur
Medvedev v Paul
Alcaraz will face a qualifer Hanfmann in his first round match
De Minaur is 4-0 in his h2h against Murray. If Stefanos has dad back coaching, I think Jarry will win.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
De Minaur is 4-0 in his h2h against Murray. If Stefanos has dad back coaching, I think Jarry will win.
A very lop sided h2h for Alex against Murray, Alex with his limited weapons does well against players, I havent read any updated news if Dad is with Stef in Beijing, I presume he will be, Jarry will be a hard first round match for Stef, who withdrew from the Laver Cup with an injury, quite frankly most of these first round matches for the players arent easy at all and tricky.

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Here are the 2024 Hall of Fame Induction Candidates,
Carlos Moya
Daniel Nestor
Leander Paes
Cara Black
Ana Ivanovic
Flavia Pennetta
There’s no law mandating the Tennis Hall of Fame induct players every year. I think every 3-5 years would be better, especially for the integrity of tennis, as well as the HOF.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
There’s no law mandating the Tennis Hall of Fame induct players every year. I think every 3-5 years would be better, especially for the integrity of tennis, as well as the HOF.

I haven't paid much attention to the HOF or the tournament in years! I may have given Martina & Bjorn a little of my time, but long-winded A-#oles like McEnroe I went about my business! I'm sure if I last until Novak's induction, I'll only watch the highlites! Stuff I never missed; a lot of time I'd tape to Beta/VHS formats! Before the 90's, I never missed an awards show, comedy concert, & of course every meaningful tennis match going back to Lendl over McEnroe at 1984 FO & 1985 USO! Nowadays I couldn't care less! Everything eventually males it to You Tube; even stuff I've had for decades!:face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Flavia Pennetta is getting in for sure, being a #1 doubles player and US Open singles champion.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I tend to agree with your comments, when I looked back at the 2023 nominees Cara Black, Ana Invanovic, Flavia Pennetta and Carlos Moya were on the list, they are again on the list for 2024..

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I haven't paid much attention to the HOF or the tournament in years! I may have given Martina & Bjorn a little of my time, but long-winded A-#oles like McEnroe I went about my business! I'm sure if I last until Novak's induction, I'll only watch the highlites! Stuff I never missed; a lot of time I'd tape to Beta/VHS formats! Before the 90's, I never missed an awards show, comedy concert, & of course every meaningful tennis match going back to Lendl over McEnroe at 1984 FO & 1985 USO! Nowadays I couldn't care less! Everything eventually males it to You Tube; even stuff I've had for decades!:face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I don’t believe in a HOF, for tennis or rock music, or anything, really. A great tennis players reputation doesn’t change just because a committee somewhere invites them to dinner…

Reactions: the AntiPusher

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It seems that Matteo Arnaldi is playing with more confidence than ever. Saw the first set as the Italian combined power with deft touch to dispatch the mullet-headed Wolf. It was fun watching him play. Umbert took down Sonego, bageling him in the third set.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I tend to agree with your comments, when I looked back at the 2023 nominees Cara Black, Ana Invanovic, Flavia Pennetta and Carlos Moya were on the list, they are again on the list for 2024..
Pennetta should have gotten in first ballot. She has the complete package in both singles (grand slam champion) and doubles (former #1 player), plus had considerable longevity. With this year not being a strong class of nominees, I'll be surprised if she doesn't get in this time. There are people with less credentials than Pennetta in the Tennis HOF.

Moya and Ivanovic are a cut below Pennetta, and I think fall short of the HOF. While they had similar singles credentials as Pennetta, they don't have the doubles resume or the consistency/longevity as Pennetta, and that hurts their case for the HOF.

Last edited:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Murray was up 5-2 in the third set and seemed well on his way to his first win against De Minaur. Then he completely fell apart and seems whackier now than when he was younger. We’re back on serve. It has been a looong match with these two counterpunchers.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Murray was up 5-2 in the third set and seemed well on his way to his first win against De Minaur. Then he completely fell apart and seems whackier now than when he was younger. We’re back on serve. It has been a looong match with these two counterpunchers.
I wont spoil the ending for you as I already know the outcome :)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

One of these players need to give it up! Murray just can't get it in his head that it's time because he s/b saying to himself, "I'm past it!" WTF? :fearful-face: :facepalm:

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Murray should be a first ballot HOF after he retires, but I have to wonder if playing these last 4 or 5 years have hurt his legacy. He should have stuck to his original plan and called it a day after the 2019 Australian Open.

• Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nehmeth,

You must have finished watching the Murray vs De Minaur match by now, you must of watched it on a delay stream, the Asian swing suits my time zone thank goodness
All I can say Alex will be visiting Andy in his nightmares tonight
Alex saved 3 MPs and came back from being 2-5 in the 3rd set to win the match 63 57 76
Alex now has a H2H against Murray 5-0

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting match ups Beijing September 29,

Medvedev (2) vs Paul
Rune (3) vs FAA
Tsitsipas (4) vs Jarry
Ruud (7) vs Struff
Sinner (6) vs Evans
In the night match
Alcaraz (1) vs Q Hanfmann

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

One of these players need to give it up! Murray just can't get it in his head that it's time b/c he s/b saying to himself, "I'm past it!" WTF? :fearful-face: :facepalm:
They can’t take his medals from him…

True enough! An accomplishment that may never be matched in my lifetime! Not sure how many will try that seriously! I'm still SMH over 2004 winner Nicolás Massú! WHO? :astonished-face: I wasn't watching the tour that closely & definitely ignored the Summer Olympics! So whenever I think of it, I have to look him up! Each time I either learn something new or just need the basic reminder! I have no idea who that guy is, but his record said he won the Singles & Doubles OGM in Athens! I'm not sure if that takes off some of the shine!:astonished-face: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kieran
Status
Not open for further replies.