• Nadal in five sets

• Federer in three sets

• Federer in four sets

• Federer in five sets

Results are only viewable after voting.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa was told in the presser that Roger said " I am very happy to be in semifinals and to play Rafa" and asked what he thinks of it.
Arrogant Rafa told "I believe in the first part, but not so sure about the second part". :(

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^ Fed is relishing the no pressure underdog status this year. Based on that, his chances are definitely higher than that.
Sorry Front, I really don’t see it. But I didn’t see AO 2017 coming either. Looking forward to see how the bh will hold up.

Reactions: Front242

lob

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions

Previously the Nadal camp could seek comfort in thinking Roger would fold meekly like a cheap tent against him but Federer was making a monkey out of him in set 1 in 2011 and the dynamics of the match only changed 'cos the ever sporting Nadal had to stall the match while losing 5-2 knowing full well this would rattle Roger's momentum, make him cool down and lose focus. That won't happen again and they may appear to be "friends" on camera but he doesn't forget shit like that and won't be playing all passive and getting pinned in the backhand side of the court. Instead he'll be firing winners with his own backhand which will make for a refreshing change.

They better close the toilet too in case Ralph decides he has projectile diarrhoea when behind on the scoreboard and has to rush off.

Could you please share what you smoke with me? I'd love to be less of a pessimist in my personal life. Whatever it is you are smoking makes you figure out the best possible outcome and helps you find plausible reasons to believe in that outcome.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I didn't watch any of it except highlights but every day is a new day so BP conversion today means absolutely nothing and he's proven he has serious game to beat Stan who didn't appear one bit fatigued after his long prior match. Roger still won all the important points and looked great in the highlights. Easy to be cocky when Nadal beat a guy with an injured arm and dead legs today. Nishikori was bending down flexing his dead legs the moment he beat Paire. He's had a lot of calf issues in the past and is made of glass. The scoreline today was no surprise due to lack of recovery time for Kei but Nadal's not playing a wounded duck next round.
If you had seen the match, you would have seen that Stan started really strong, but was getting pretty gassed by the 3rd set. Jim Courier commented that it was visible, and that he was definitely feeling it in the legs. And Roger made some really tired looking errors, and he had no reason to be tired, except his age. I agree that Nadal had no competition today, but it's not the only day Rafa has looked very good this tournament. (Anyway, what they've shown of him, since his matches haven't been too competitive. I'll certainly give you that.)

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Roger has to feel like he is playing with house money. He entered the tournament probably not expecting much and he is at the semis. Some extra points in the pocket. I think he will play lose, unlike other times he met Rafa here. He knows he is not supposed to win. That may be the only chance he may win. I doubt it though. Rafa is not going to give up this particular throne easily. If he has a couple of off games where his balls or short I can see Roger punishing those and maybe getting one set but this is 3-1 for Rafa.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
If you had seen the match, you would have seen that Stan started really strong, but was getting pretty gassed by the 3rd set. Jim Courier commented that it was visible, and that he was definitely feeling it in the legs. And Roger made some really tired looking errors, and he had no reason to be tired, except his age. I agree that Nadal had no competition today, but it's not the only day Rafa has looked very good this tournament. (Anyway, what they've shown of him, since his matches haven't been too competitive. I'll certainly give you that.)
I watched the match. Roger played generally efficient tennis. He had control of his strokes in the main. I actually felt he had a higher gear. I’m not giving Stan any pass on looking gassed, frankly that was minimal and mostly down to the pressure Roger put on him. Obviously one of the main issues was Roger’s inability to get a break for a long time. That won’t end well if that happens against Rafa. It’s useless speculating what the old man will do against Nadal, as we have to take his form round by round. I think Rafa will win obviously. But Rafa has to prove he can raise his level, he’s no spring chicken either and he’s not the problem solver he once was. I’m not going to invest the emotional energy hoping too much, but would I be shocked if he beat Rafa? Probably not as shocked as I would have been a few years ago

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
About BP conversion today, in a couple points maybe Federer played passively but for the most all credit to Wawrinka. He served extremely well in most of them, connected some monster shots and there was not much anyone could have done.

I was mildly and quietly confident that Federer could pull up the upset, but after seeing @Front242's confidence, I am almost embarrassed not to have jumped in the bandwagon earlier:

Bring it on!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I watched the match. Roger played generally efficient tennis. He had control of his strokes in the main. I actually felt he had a higher gear. I’m not giving Stan any pass on looking gassed, frankly that was minimal and mostly down to the pressure Roger put on him. Obviously one of the main issues was Roger’s inability to get a break for a long time. That won’t end well if that happens against Rafa. It’s useless speculating what the old man will do against Nadal, as we have to take his form round by round. I think Rafa will win obviously. But Rafa has to prove he can raise his level, he’s no spring chicken either and he’s not the problem solver he once was. I’m not going to invest the emotional energy hoping too much, but would I be shocked if he beat Rafa? Probably not as shocked as I would have been a few years ago
We obviously sometimes see matches a bit differently, but no reason dwell on that. I don't agree that Rafa's "not the problem solver he once was." However, as you say, he's not so young anymore, and can't always effect what he wants as well as he used to. But he's on home turf here. He's very fresh, and he knows what to expect from Roger, even the "new Roger." Federer will have more confidence going into this match than anytime on clay since 2011. I do expect a fight, but I really also think that Rafa will take him in 3.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Besides Stan has a poor record against Roger (3-22) he is not the same player he was before the surgery and I doubt he will so even that he has had given Roger a tough match I wasn't surprised with the final result . Federer is lucky that he has 2 days off, otherwise.....

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
About BP conversion today, in a couple points maybe Federer played passively but for the most all credit to Wawrinka. He served extremely well in most of them, connected some monster shots and there was not much anyone could have done.

I was mildly and quietly confident that Federer could pull up the upset, but after seeing @Front242's confidence, I am almost embarrassed not to have jumped in the bandwagon earlier:

Bring it on!
Um, Roger winning today is not technically an upset. ;) But hell yeah...bring it on! Rafa and Roger, together again. :drums:

Reactions: Federberg

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Um, Roger winning today is not technically an upset. ;) But hell yeah...bring it on! Rafa and Roger, together again. :drums:

Oh, I meant against Nadal. I had Federer as the favorite for today's match against Wawrinka.

Reactions: Federberg and Moxie

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It may be one of the last matches on clay these two play. I’m hoping to be able to see it.

Reactions: tented and Moxie

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federer has a decent chance.

he will hug the baseline and try to cut off rafa's topspin before they get too high on him, fed will also use alot to dropshots and slice to catch out rafa if his court position is too deep, nadal is less speedy than olden days when he could almost get to any dropshot attempted..

nadal is favourite though..but its strange to think fed has a better chance to beat claydal that in years of old,

be interesting to see how the mental game unfolds if its a close match with h2h 5-0 in recent years (none on clay obv).

cool damp/cloudy weather is clearly better for federers chances.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Not really much reason to hope here. Comparing this to prior meetings it's easy to say Roger carries less mental baggage facing Nadal here but he's also a couple years shy of 40. I still think he'd have to win in a somewhat quick 3 or 4 and realistically that won't happen. Lots of rain and clouds can only help. It is not going to be easy to take the ball early off the backhand on clay and Nadal can always default to being a backboard if need be and wait for Federer to miss and ultimately wear down. Roger would have to serve lights out and actually convert a high % of BP's to have a chance. Here's to hoping he can avert the biggest disaster Paris has seen in 2019.

MartyB

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Fed will have a decent chance not a great one on Friday. He's clearly enjoying himself and I think relishing the challenge. Nothing to lose and all to gain. Fed will not be afraid to come to net and if his serve is on it will be competitive. 3 out of 5 sets is the concern and that's a herculean task. Lastly at this point just let it not be Djokovic who wins this.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not to be mean, (but, hey, why not? So many Fedfans are really mean all the time,) but you folks have to be wondering how this deep run at RG hurts/helps him for W. Obviously, if he beats Rafa at RG, finally, you can dine out on that forever. And if he should win it all, I'm guessing you'd trade the double-career Slam for one more Wimbledon. But say he just has to work hard for nought. You gonna be OK with that?

MartyB

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Not to be mean, (but, hey, why not? So many Fedfans are really mean all the time,) but you folks have to be wondering how this deep run at RG hurts/helps him for W. Obviously, if he beats Rafa at RG, finally, you can dine out on that forever. And if he should win it all, I'm guessing you'd trade the double-career Slam for one more Wimbledon. But say he just has to work hard for nought. You gonna be OK with that?
I think this run at RG will help Fed immensely at Wimbledon. Glad he played and may I say Fed is still the guy drawing the crowds and causing the buzz. He still is tennis #1....

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think this run at RG will help Fed immensely at Wimbledon. Glad he played and may I say Fed is still the guy drawing the crowds and causing the buzz. He still is tennis #1....
I know he's beloved, but do you really think it's just him and his magic? The Fedal rivalry has done wonders for men's tennis. And there are a lot of us who love Rafa, don't forget.