Results are only viewable after voting.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
tenor.gif

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sounds like someone who has been given a lot of 4th place trophies. Tennis like other sports is about proving your superiority. Getting tons of money and fame in the process is obviously great too, these guys aren't suffering. But two of the top 3 will finish with forgettable careers most likely, that is the nature of sport.
I know you believe it's top dog or nothing, but not one of the top 3 will ever be forgotten. They're all deep in the record books, and still playing.

Reactions: Bonaca

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I know you believe it's top dog or nothing, but not one of the top 3 will ever be forgotten. They're all deep in the record books, and still playing.

Depends on point of view. I had this argument with some people that thought Novak was done a couple years back as he had 12 majors,a Nole slam, and tons of money. I knew eventually Nole would find the old fire because if he hadn't he'd be quickly forgotten. All of that is basically golf clap worthy if he had retired at 12 majors when 2 guys won a ton more. Even now at 15 if he retired tomorrow he'd be easily overshadowed career wise though he is now in the picture for elevating his status once again. But if Nole wins no more he'd be remembered for just winning 4 in a row.

If Rafa retired after this tournament...maybe a big golf clap and he'd mostly just be remembered as a guy who was insanely good on one surface and that's it. If one or both end up with more than Roger then Fed becomes just some guy who was dominant many years ago but didn't age well.

You may call it harsh but it is reality with individual sports. 20 is shit if one of the other guys gets 21. 15 and about to be 18 sounds good...if we are going off Pete Sampras times. Speaking of Pete, you think his stature in the game hasn't taken a meteor-size hit in the past 15 years? In a crazy world where the top 3 of the Next Gen all end up with more majors than the current top 3...yeah Fedalkovic would go down the same path of Pete in that instance. Sports ain't fair but at least the guys get tons of money and glory for the time they play and a huge trophy room. They aren't suffering.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
if we are going off Pete Sampras times. Speaking of Pete, you think his stature in the game hasn't taken a meteor-size hit in the past 15 years? In a crazy world where the top 3 of the Next Gen all end up with more majors than the current top 3...yeah Fedalkovic would go down the same path of Pete in that instance. Sports ain't fair but at least the guys get tons of money and glory for the time they play and a huge trophy room. They aren't suffering.

My guess is Sampras can’t believe he’s been passed up by three guys so relatively quickly, especially considering the guy he surpassed (Emerson) got his 12th in the late 60s — a record which lasted about 35 years. Pete may even be kicking himself for not playing longer.

Reactions: shawnbm and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Depends on point of view. I had this argument with some people that thought Novak was done a couple years back as he had 12 majors,a Nole slam, and tons of money. I knew eventually Nole would find the old fire because if he hadn't he'd be quickly forgotten. All of that is basically golf clap worthy if he had retired at 12 majors when 2 guys won a ton more. Even now at 15 if he retired tomorrow he'd be easily overshadowed career wise though he is now in the picture for elevating his status once again. But if Nole wins no more he'd be remembered for just winning 4 in a row.

If Rafa retired after this tournament...maybe a big golf clap and he'd mostly just be remembered as a guy who was insanely good on one surface and that's it. If one or both end up with more than Roger then Fed becomes just some guy who was dominant many years ago but didn't age well. You may call it harsh but it is reality with individual sports. 20 is shit if one of the other guys gets 21. 15 and about to be 18 sounds good...if we are going off Pete Sampras times. Speaking of Pete, you think his stature in the game hasn't taken a meteor-size hit in 15 years?
You're such a drama queen! Whomever wins the most Majors in this era is not going to be the only one remembered. The Fedal rivalry will long be remembered, like the Borg/McEnroe one, however much you may hate that. Federer will be in the GOAT conversation no matter what happens in the next 4-ish years. Have we forgotten Laver? Borg? (Who was one who could almost be called a flash in the pan, for his early retirement, and yet, we remember him. And compare greats to him.) We can barely find youtube videos of Laver, and yet people still debate if he's #2. This era will be remembered for the clash of Titans. Whichever of the Titans finishes best at the end, I don't think that will matter, so much. We'll debate their relative greatness forever.

lob

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
The money is soooo big that it won't matter to them. It's only the fans who'll fight over glory. These are all national icons apart from being near billionaires. If they want to be worshipped, they can surround themselves with adoration from quality people any day.

Reactions: Bonaca

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@DarthFed didn’t do anything wrong.
Perhaps rather than cheap and crass insults, we could go for something more creative:
-----------------
The exchange between Churchill & Lady Astor:
She said, “If you were my husband I’d give you poison.”
He said, “If you were my wife, I’d drink it.”

A Member of Parliament to Disraeli: “Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease.”
“That depends, Sir,” said Disraeli, “whether I embrace your policies or your mistress.”

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” - Winston Churchill

“I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.” Clarence Darrow

“He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.” - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

“Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I’ll waste no time reading it.” - Moses Hadas

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” - Mark Twain

“He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.” - Oscar Wilde

I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend … if you have one.” - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
“Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second … if there is one.” - Winston Churchill, in response.

“I feel so miserable without you; it’s almost like having you here.” - Stephen Bishop

“He is a self-made man and worships his creator.” - John Bright

“I’ve just learned about his illness. Let’s hope it’s nothing trivial.” - Irvin S. Cobb

“He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others.” - Samuel Johnson

“He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up.” - Paul Keating

“In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily.” - Charles, Count Talleyrand

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?” - Mark Twain

“His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork.” - Mae West

“Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.” - Oscar Wilde

“He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts … for support rather than illumination.” - Andrew Lang (1844 – 1912)

“He has Van Gogh’s ear for music.” - Billy Wilder

“I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn’t it.” - Groucho Marx

---------------

Just a thought. :lol6:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
That remains to be seen. The only time that Roger can be said to have done damage to Nadal was in 2017. Small window.

Hate to break it to you but aside from the free and easy 8-0 in 2008 and 2013 the H2H on a year by year basis is a lot more even than you realize.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hate to break it to you but aside from the free and easy 8-0 in 2008 and 2013 the H2H on a year by year basis is a lot more even than you realize.
Shake it out however you want...and you will. Standing by for the debate. I realize that you've had a perfectly wonderful day...but this wasn't it. ;)

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It is still a numbers game. You'll have the idiots in media and shameless Rafa tards going crazy if he gets 20+ even if it is with 15 RG's. Djokovic winning this one still puts him 4 behind and he could drop motivation again. Clearly whichever one wins becomes a grave threat. So lesser of 2 evils is Novak as there is no greater evil than the clay peasant.

I disagree. Ralph could be stopped (not just by Roger / Novak) by several players on non-clay surfaces. However, Novak is a threat to win every major at the moment. Hence, Novak poses greater danger of passing Fed than Ralph. Ralph will get only one chance an year and even there competition is getting tighter than before (from Novak/Thiem).

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Perhaps rather than cheap and crass insults, we could go for something more creative:
-----------------
The exchange between Churchill & Lady Astor:
She said, “If you were my husband I’d give you poison.”
He said, “If you were my wife, I’d drink it.”

A Member of Parliament to Disraeli: “Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease.”
“That depends, Sir,” said Disraeli, “whether I embrace your policies or your mistress.”

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” - Winston Churchill

“I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.” Clarence Darrow

“He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.” - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

“Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I’ll waste no time reading it.” - Moses Hadas

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” - Mark Twain

“He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.” - Oscar Wilde

I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend … if you have one.” - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
“Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second … if there is one.” - Winston Churchill, in response.

“I feel so miserable without you; it’s almost like having you here.” - Stephen Bishop

“He is a self-made man and worships his creator.” - John Bright

“I’ve just learned about his illness. Let’s hope it’s nothing trivial.” - Irvin S. Cobb

“He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others.” - Samuel Johnson

“He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up.” - Paul Keating

“In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily.” - Charles, Count Talleyrand

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?” - Mark Twain

“His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork.” - Mae West

“Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.” - Oscar Wilde

“He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts … for support rather than illumination.” - Andrew Lang (1844 – 1912)

“He has Van Gogh’s ear for music.” - Billy Wilder

“I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn’t it.” - Groucho Marx

---------------

Just a thought. :lol6:

This is an amazing collection Moxie. Thanks so much for sharing.

Reactions: Moxie

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Might need to do some research on that exactly is a troll. It's not that you think it is. A person making a prediction is not a troll. Rather, a person who has been hiding for a year because his favourite player hasn't won anything for months and then comes back to gloat and annoy everyone is that is a troll..
No but it shows he noting about tennis like you and happily be a troll then Nadal destroyed your hero fanboys can also be trolls Just like you, who only see the world in Federer eyes.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
You're unfortunately too busy on your demented rants to even bother reading my post properly or maybe you just can't read. That's a possibility too I guess. I clearly said Federer was at 4-4 and 40-0 on his serve in set 2 and that it was retarded to lose serve after that, which it was. Like I said, if he'd held serve there as he should've done, then it would have been big pressure on Nadal to serve to stay in the set which would have made it a completely different match. Try reading it properly second time round and take a bow and a cookie while you're at it, fan boy.
No Nadal still would have won the second even if federer held serve at 4-4 all, most likely 7-3 in the tiebreaker, and yes I read your post clearly I just don't agree with it because 6-0 at Roland Garros to Nadal, Federer will ever win against at RG, he got owned end of story fanboy. Get over your that ifs

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
I'll tell you that could have happened. Federer would've easily won a set if not more. That's that would've happened. Luckily for you, Nadal's game relies less on going for lines and shotmaking and therefore, he handled today's conditions better. They were terrible conditions for aggressive shot making but it is that it is and was that it was and life will go on.
Yet then it was sunny day Federer got 6-1 6-3 6-0 at RG, your point has nothing to stand on, can you say 25-15.;)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yet then it was sunny day Federer got 6-1 6-3 6-0 at RG, your point has nothing to stand on, can you say 25-15.;)

Dunno why I'm even bothering to respond to your rubbish but that was the worst match Federer has ever played and has no relevance to playing him again on clay in proper conditions and he also played much better than that in every other clay match they ever played. He had completely the wrong game plan and gave up after set 2 same as yesterday. And it's 24-15 not 25-15, fan boy.

Last edited:

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
LOL this topspin baboon needed even wind to beat Federer. I mean it's not enough that he has all the other intangibles in his favour like fed being on retirement lap, no FH, high bounce, cakiest draw possible, matchup advantage. Nope that's apparently not enough for this chimp. He needs the wind too swirling around at 80 mph so that Fed can't serve and can't hit proper shots.

Why Fed even bothered to play this disgraceful tournament god only knows. His scheduling of late has cost him atleast 2 slams if not more.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam