2017 Australian Open Day 7: Sunday, Jan 22 - Order of Play

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wow, two weeks ego Mischa got a clinic by Rafa (6-1 6-1) in Brisbane and today he has beaten the #1

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Wow, two weeks ego Mischa got a clinic by Rafa (6-1 6-1) in Brisbane and today he has beaten the #1

Different opponent, different surface. Roger double bageled him in Halle 2013 so it seems his game doesn't match up well with either Roger or Rafa.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Front242 said:
Federer is likely to play longer than Serena so I doubt she'll end up surpassing him. Depending on how she fares at the slams this year, who knows, she may call it quits now that she's getting married.

Actually she's already surpassed him. Going forward, we'll have to see who plays longer and wins the most matches. That will determine who ends up holding the record when they both call it quits.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Front242 said:
Federer is likely to play longer than Serena so I doubt she'll end up surpassing him. Depending on how she fares at the slams this year, who knows, she may call it quits now that she's getting married.

Actually she's already surpassed him. Going forward, we'll have to see who plays longer and wins the most matches. That will determine who ends up holding the record when they both call it quits.

Yeah I know she's a few matches ahead currently but can anyone really see her playing another 2-3 years? I can't. Of the 2 of them also, she's definitely more likely to have an early exit these days. Plus Roger says he wants to play at least another 2-3 years so hopefully 4+

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Front242 said:
kskate2 said:
Front242 said:

Yeah I know she's a few matches ahead currently but can anyone really see her playing another 2-3 years? I can't. Of the 2 of them also, she's definitely more likely to have an early exit these days. Plus Roger says he wants to play at least another 2-3 years so hopefully 4+

Personally, married or not I don't think she goes anywhere until she beats Court's record. We'll see if she gets it and how long it takes if it happens.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:

Different opponent, different surface. Roger double bageled him in Halle 2013 so it seems his game doesn't match up well with either Roger or Rafa.

But we are now in 2017 :D

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Delightful win for Fed fans today and also for him obviously. I was scared as hell in the beginning but I admire how Roger fought today. His first serve was there with him throughout that got him through. He hit 83 winners or something so that's Roger at his best. Anything could have happened today but it was Roger's day. Good win for him. The next match should be easy because Roger with his one handed backhand will be able to hit his passes. I guess he gets to the semis now.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Everyone deemed it would be tough for Roger to defend his SF points with his seeding. You have to applaud him for working through his tricky draw and to now be with a very good chance of making the semis. With only 3 matches in an almost-exho tournament he came here, then was very patient before his game really took shape. Then got two top 10 wins to make it to the QF. Good!

P.S. I am loving this modified court. It's clearly faster than the ones we have seen in the past editions. Definitely, I am happy with this change as I commend the aggressive kind of game. The tour needs more of these courts. Happy to see this change at Melbourne considering its a grand slam.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Absolutely, the AO has been too slow since 2007 and this is more like a return to the Rebound Ace surface they had prior to the plexi cushion. Much better for viewers to see attacking tennis being rewarded and not just endless boring retrieving.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kei should fire whomever architected that strategy vs Federer even if it's himself.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Absolutely, the AO has been too slow since 2007 and this is more like a return to the Rebound Ace surface they had prior to the plexi cushion. Much better for viewers to see attacking tennis being rewarded and not just endless boring retrieving.

I stated at the beginning it's been Rafa proof...not playing slow, not bouncing high.,which didn't bold well obviously for Novak or Andy. However, Front I understand your point.. I prefer attacking tennis better(I am agreeing with Front, I have to stay inside for shelter from the cloudy skies and lightning bolts):snicker

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Kei should fire whomever architected that strategy vs Federer even if it's himself.

You mean losing to Federer in 5 sets is a bad result ? :s He was doing just fine all match. Roger just started hitting his serve with better placement making it harder to return and improved his own ROS also. Kei was on fire at the start but it's very hard to maintain your A game for the whole match and that clearly was his A game at the start in set 1.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Guys, does ATP have information on court speeds for each slam or masters? I think I saw something like that before. Once even on TV. Does anyone have an image or something like a link?? It would be great for us to have that.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:

I stated at the beginning it's been Rafa proof...not playing slow, not bouncing high.,which didn't bold well obviously for Novak or Andy. However, Front I understand your point.. I prefer attacking tennis better(I am agreeing with Front, I have to stay inside for shelter from the cloudy skies and lightning bolts):snicker

Don't worry, I think Rafa is pretty good on fast courts too, as I remember USO 2010 and 2013.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:

Rafa's doing just fine here too. Andy is actually very good on fast courts most of the time but his opponent just took him by surprise with a S&V masterclass. It definitely would be more suited to Novak to have it slower though as he's definitely the best player on slow/medium hard courts. For just about everyone else, it's better like this, especially the big servers and this year it's more like medium/fast. Much more like the USO now in fact but even that's slower than it used to be. Cinci is still my favourite fast hard court to watch and Dubai is pretty good too.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:

Rafa's doing just fine here too. Andy is actually very good on fast courts most of the time but his opponent just took him by surprise with a S&V masterclass. It definitely would be more suited to Novak to have it slower though as he's definitely the best player on slow/medium hard courts. For just about everyone else, it's better like this, especially the big servers and this year it's more like medium/fast. Much more like the USO now in fact but even that's slower than it used to be. Cinci is still my favourite fast hard court to watch and Dubai is pretty good too.

Montreal is my favorite hardcourt to watch..it was previously Miami

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Cincy has to be the most exciting, USO too. But USO isn't as sleek as it used to be. Shanghai is also on the sleeker side I would think. Tokyo I guess is fast too at least I remember that it was so in 2011 when Rafa and Murray played a final there.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I was thinking to cite Shanghai as a favourite hard court but last year it was noticeably slowed down. Hopefully they fix it. Can only imagine the number of upsets we'd see at Wimbledon if it was the same speed as Newport! Karlovic might win the title!

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
I fear Stan. That guy can hit powerful groundies and make it uncomfortable for Roger. But given the court, Roger should be in a better position this time shall they meet, I hope.