2017 Australian Open Day 7: Sunday, Jan 22 - Order of Play

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
the AntiPusher said:
kskate2 said:
Oh come one you two, this is a trivial argument. I can see why both players would celebrate exuberantly after an early round win. Fed has been out for 6 months and beat 2 top 10 players, Nadal has lost the last few 5-set matches because he was outplayed and the kid who he defeated the last round held a match point against him last year. Besides, with the way seeds have been getting upset this week I would celebrate every win like it was the final.

Nah KS..it isn't trivial..time after time when Rafa wins, Front fires off these turds of attacks because the young man raises his arms to salute his team and fans.. I was watching last night , Federer did the same thing.,but not a darn critique from always bias against Rafa , Front.. I just called Front on the crap because he is claiming cramps lost the match for Alex..So it's not trivial, it's just Front..what I posted is legitimately true..I have never said a thing about a player celebrating, Hell I would too because tennis is grueling sport at times..go back check Brisbane and other tournament, every time Rafa wins a match Front has issues.

No, you're the one who has issues. Issues reading. Same as Carol. I've already typed multiple times above now (but you still haven't read it properly), Federer's opponent was not physically impaired at the end and Nadal's was. Is it really so hard to grasp that celebrating wildly when your opponent can't move properly is not sporting? No, it's not.

I rewatched the match 2 times, I haven't seen or ever seen Rafa do anything like what you are saying..The announcers of the match would have mentioned it..this is pure rubbish from you again..damn

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
the AntiPusher said:
kskate2 said:
Oh come one you two, this is a trivial argument. I can see why both players would celebrate exuberantly after an early round win. Fed has been out for 6 months and beat 2 top 10 players, Nadal has lost the last few 5-set matches because he was outplayed and the kid who he defeated the last round held a match point against him last year. Besides, with the way seeds have been getting upset this week I would celebrate every win like it was the final.

Nah KS..it isn't trivial..time after time when Rafa wins, Front fires off these turds of attacks because the young man raises his arms to salute his team and fans.. I was watching last night , Federer did the same thing.,but not a darn critique from always bias against Rafa , Front.. I just called Front on the crap because he is claiming cramps lost the match for Alex..So it's not trivial, it's just Front..what I posted is legitimately true..I have never said a thing about a player celebrating, Hell I would too because tennis is grueling sport at times..go back check Brisbane and other tournament, every time Rafa wins a match Front has issues.

No, you're the one who has issues. Issues reading. Same as Carol. I've already typed multiple times above now (but you still haven't read it properly), Federer's opponent was not physically impaired at the end and Nadal's was. Is it really so hard to grasp that celebrating wildly when your opponent can't move properly is not sporting? No, it's not.

Because Nadal's opponent was killing himsef with all the risk trying to make points and that's why he finished completely destroyed

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I give up. You're both obviously the type of people who if they were boxers and knocked their opponent's teeth out and the guy was carried off in a stretcher, you wouldn't even show any remorse/sympathy and not even bother to help them up or see if they're still alive or in one piece. I like sporting athletes, what more can I say. You just don't get it. :nono

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
I give up. You're both obviously the type of people who if they were boxers and knocked their opponent's teeth out and the guy was carried off in a stretcher, you wouldn't even show any remorse/sympathy and not even bother to help them up or see if they're still alive or in one piece. I like sporting athletes, what more can I say. You just don't get it. :nono

It's not that we do supposedly "get it" but you are deflecting or trying to misdirect like we are not able to see thru your mess.. that's all.. it's all good nuff said from me.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
That was what drives me crazy about Roger in a nut-shell. Its like he loses his killer edge and softens up just when he needs to crack down. Let's face it: Roger has never been a great big moment player. He plays great as long as the match isn't too close.

I think it's more a case the he loses the rhythm on his serve after long break games - especially if he doesn't break. The one time he didn't do that recently was the 2015 Wimbledon semi against Murray after Murray's 20-minute hold game. He stepped back up to he line and had another 45 second hold game to put the pressure right back on Murray - and then broke Murray to win the 2nd set.

Also, don't know that I agree with Roger never having been a "great big moment player." It's always depended on the opponent and his confidence. Nadal? No confidence that he can hit the high backhand or play 200 30-stroke rallies. Djokovic - some of that is age related. As Mary Carillo once said - old boxers sometimes pull their punches. And really - other than those 2 guys - he's gotten the better of Murray in big moments - and definitely Roddick, Hewitt, etc. Sure, he's had some epic 5 set blunders - including Tsonga at Wimbledon and DelPo at the US Open, but the fact is - no matter how great you are - every player has got confidence issues.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Meanwhile Stan and Tsonga both won and will play against each other in second quarterfinal.

Headcase vs. Headcase. :snicker Should be interesting. I looked up their H2H - 4-3 in Stan's favor. With the courts being so quick that may be to Tsonga's advantage.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Congrats to Fed on a 5 set victory over a person who has the best 5-set record in open era. :clap

The question is though - WHO are Nishikori's 5 set wins over? Top 10 players or guys he should have been in less than 5 sets? Because there's a big difference in a great 5 set record against Top 10 players and guys ranked outside the top 10. If he's got 20 5-set wins over guys ranked 20 and below - then big whoop. He shouldn't be going 5 sets with most of those guys anyway.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Federer is likely to play longer than Serena so I doubt she'll end up surpassing him. Depending on how she fares at the slams this year, who knows, she may call it quits now that she's getting married.

Why would you think that? Venus is older than Roger and still playing. Serena got engaged but doesn't mean that she's going to retire, get married and start having babies right away. Sheesh. :rolleyes: She literally has no competition so why should she retire? In genneral she's lost recent Slams due to her own nerves and not because she's got blown off the court by an opponent.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Kei should fire whomever architected that strategy vs Federer even if it's himself.

There's only so much Kei can do. He's mostly a defensive baseliner. He's not like Roger who can go to Plan B, C or D. He's got Plan A and Plan 1A. And really - if a guy is throwing down 24 aces and another 59 winners - what's he supposed to do? Come in himself and get passed? I don't think it's a stretch to say that a lot of these players have been thrown off by the faster court surface this year. Fed likes fast courts - Berdych, Murray and Djokovic don't - and they're out. Nishikori doesn't like a fast court either. And now he's out, too.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Was Kei unable to move properly towards the end? No he wasn't and Roger, or any decent sport for that matter, would not celebrate so crazily when their opponent was clearly suffering physically for 2 sets. It's no wonder Nadal has only won the sportsmanship award once when you see him do things like that. Did Stan cheer like crazy when he won the AO 2014? No he didn't 'cos he's not an unsporting pr1ck and could see his opponent was physically hampered.

And lest we all forget - Nadal got all snotty and pissy when Roger was president of the players association and wouldn't support the two year ranking system. IIRC he spent quite a bit of time at the AO that year snarking about Roger being a people pleaser. Then when Roger was asked about it at a post-match press conference he said he couldn't support it because while it would be good for higher ranked guys like him and Rafa it would hurt lower ranked players and guys would need 2 or 3 breakthrus to move up the rankings. And then didn't Nadal step down from the players council not too long after the AO that year? :rolleyes: Somebody's a big baby...and it ain't Roger.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Busted said:
the AntiPusher said:
Kei should fire whomever architected that strategy vs Federer even if it's himself.

There's only so much Kei can do. He's mostly a defensive baseliner. He's not like Roger who can go to Plan B, C or D. He's got Plan A and Plan 1A. And really - if a guy is throwing down 24 aces and another 59 winners - what's he supposed to do? Come in himself and get passed? I don't think it's a stretch to say that a lot of these players have been thrown off by the faster court surface this year. Fed likes fast courts - Berdych, Murray and Djokovic don't - and they're out. Nishikori doesn't like a fast court either. And now he's out, too.

After making his life so difficult in that 1st set, I'm totally done with Kei! He leads the way in top players who can't seem to finish off the "Big 4," finding novel ways to lose even when favored or have a lead! He's up a couple break, then starts to spin his serve in to volley the ball only to flub it again and again! He probably should have lost in straights after choking away that lead! :gross: :dalek: :deadhorse

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Front242 said:
the AntiPusher said:
Did Roger win the title last night..I just saw how exuberant Roger was during mp over Kei..i thought you always felt players should react to a non finals match like they had been there before..correct

Seriously? Roger beat the world number 4 in a very tough match where he lost the first set and it didn't look good at all at first when he was down 5-1 and still managed to lose the TB. Couple that with that fact he's now beaten back to back top 10 players and a former slam finalist after a 6 month injury layoff. Hardly the same as beating a kid who has never made it past the 3rd round of a slam now is it? How can you possibly compare that to beating a 19 year old who lost because of cramping and fitness issues who has never made the 2nd week of any slam? Which match looked tougher to you ? Be honest...could Nishikori move all match? Why yes, he could. There's your answer right there. :cover

"the 19 years old who lost because of cramping and fitness issues". True, and that's why he beat Roger in Halle 2016, he didn't get any cramps and any fittness issues......:cover:nono:popcorn:rolleyes:

Do you mean when Roger was returning from injury and had only played 3 matches leading up to Halle? :rolleyes:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wait, I didn't know that Nishi had to call the trainer, cramps too? :D

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:

Yes, Nishi called trainer when trailing 0-3 in 5th set and had a 3 minute massage. But, it was not for cramps. It was an MTO. MTO for cramps is not allowed.

After the MTO, Kei was moving better than before. So, it is just not the case that Fed beat up on somebody who could not walk. Kei's situation was no way comparable to that of Zverev.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Carol35 said:

Yes, Nishi called trainer when trailing 0-3 in 5th set and had a 3 minute massage. But, it was not for cramps. It was an MTO. MTO for cramps is not allowed.

After the MTO, Kei was moving better than before. So, it is just not the case that Fed beat up on somebody who could not walk. Kei's situation was no way comparable to that of Zverev.

The big difference is that Nishi had a hip problems since the previous tournament so in this one he had to call the trainer because the pain. Zeverev didn't have any problem until almost the end of the match because he had too do too much effort and he paid for that

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Carol35 said:

The big difference is that Nishi had a hip problems since the previous tournament so in this one he had to call the trainer because the pain. Zeverev didn't have any problem until almost the end of the match because he had too do too much effort and he paid for that

Nishikori was 100 % fit this tournament.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Oh yeah he was..Nishikori was so fit he definitely wait until the 5th set to have a man Massage his lower back and hip in front of Roger and the other 15,000 spectators :cover

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:

Oh yeah he was..Nishikori was so fit he definitely wait until the 5th set to have a man Massage his lower back and hip in front of Roger and the other 15,000 spectators :cover

It shouldn't have gotten to that point! Kei like others allow themselves to be put into these situations! This should have been in "straights" but for him to make his life and body more difficult taking the 1st set after dropping 2 breaks up! It's not like others don't do the same; Nole's done it more times than I can count, but it was the way Kei allowed Roger back in that 1st set! He pulled back on his serve and common sense by rushing the net and flubbing volleys! The also-rans can't finish off Roger or Rafa with a stake to the heart! I'm so done with Kei! :puzzled :nono :cover

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
It shouldn't have gotten to that point! Kei like others allow themselves to be put into these situations! This should have been in "straights" but for him to make his life and body more difficult taking the 1st set after dropping 2 breaks up! It's not like others don't do the same; Nole's done it more times than I can count, but it was the way Kei allowed Roger back in that 1st set! He pulled back on his serve and common sense by rushing the net and flubbing volleys! The also-rans can't finish off Roger or Rafa with a stake to the heart! I'm so done with Kei! :puzzled :nono :cover

Fiero, after the fifth game of the first set it was Federer who raised the level, and outplayed Nishikori from then on. If someone got close to end it up in straights, it was Federer.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:

Straights lol. Federer won the 3rd set 6-1 ffs! Haha. Straights :cover

Ps: The also rans can't be that bad. I mean, they managed to finish off Djokovic and Murray, right?! :p