2015 Davis Cup

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
tennisville said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Davis cup finally decides to adopt tie-breakers even in the fifth set putting an end to marathon matches.

This may come in handy if USA and France reach SF next year with Isner and Mahut featuring. :)

Not at all happy for this , I loved those marathons

That's what set DC apart from other competitions; sorta like the women going to best of 5 sets at their YEC for a few years back in the 80's! :angel: :dodgy: :popcorn :clap - The thing that offends me the most is besides using TB, I can see them going best of 3 to accommodate today's stars; MARK MY WORD!

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Great Britain and Belgium announced their teams today. No surprises.

Davis%20Cup%20Final%20Team%20Lineups_zpsigcmiet8.jpg

Murray and Goffin to lead teams in Ghent

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Oh boy I knew that Kyle Edmund has always been as pale and white as white bread but he's taking the piss right now.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Didi said:
Oh boy I knew that Kyle Edmund has always been as pale and white as white bread but he's taking the piss right now.

LOL! Says a lot about the team when they don't even have a profile pick for their No. 2 singles player.

Team Murray!

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Murray is alone to win DC, hope he can make it happen

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Schedule for the final:

Date: 27 Nov - 29 Nov 2015
Venue: Flanders Expo, Ghent, Belgium
Start times:
Day 1: 1330 hrs
Day 2: 1500 hrs
Day 3: 1300 hrs
Surface: Clay (Red Clay), Indoor
Ball: Babolat French Open All Court

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Schedule for the final:

Date: 27 Nov - 29 Nov 2015
Venue: Flanders Expo, Ghent, Belgium
Start times:
Day 1: 1330 hrs ("Terrorists permitting")
Day 2: 1500 hrs ("Following Eviction of Suicide Bombers")
Day 3: 1300 hrs ("After Suitable Blast")
Surface: Clay (Red Clay), Indoor
Ball: Babolat French Open All Court

Fixed

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Britain's Davis Cup final against Belgium under threat as Brussels braces itself for imminent terrorist attack

Safety first. Even if it means canceling the event. Doubt that will happen but everyone's safety comes first.

Correct, safety first. If ITF gets the word from the authorities that it should not risk holding the event in Ghent (about 32 miles outside Brussels), then it will be held at a backup site. I'm sure ITF is scrambling or has scrambled to find a suitable site in case of that happening.

Recall that there is precedent for switching sites for security reasons.

Last September's World Group play-off between Ukraine and Belgium was moved to Estonia, because of the conflict in eastern Ukraine.

Israel's tie with Argentina, which was played the same week, was moved from Tel Aviv to Florida due to concerns regarding conflict between Israel and Hamas.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Murrays (Oops, I meant the UK DC team) delays travelling to Belgium due to imminent terror alerts.

I was seriously wondering if this was going to come off! So many events have been suspended or cancelled so far in Europe! Last week they went with the "short program" high score to settle Grand Prix of Figure Skating in France! :nono

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Tim Henman has withdrawn his service, for fear of terrorist attacks. Now, these fears are valid and Belgium has been in the cross-hairs over the last few days, so I wouldn't personally blame anybody for being scared and changing plans, but against this, life must continue. I kinda feel we let the terrorists win when we start to fear going out. It's the ultimate meaning of what terrorists do, they spread "terror" and change society that way.

My sister lives in Madrid and last week the police asked people not to go to town at the weekend, if possible. And yet, nothing happened.

If ISIS force us to stop doing things, even though they're not going to commit a barbaric atrocity, then they must be really pleased. I read an article where - I was glad to read - Bob Dylan chose to hire armed guards rather than cancel concerts on his European tour, as opposed to U2, Prince, Coldplay, the Foo Fighters, cancelling gigs. Now, U2's show was actually to be in Paris, so that's understandable. But still, the ancient adage that "the show must go on" is painfully pertinent here, and it's up to everybody to make sure the terrorists don't win. Hire more security, do whatever is necessary, especially since we know that the Paris horror was a surprise attack, whereas everybody should be on guard now.

I was pleased to see Parisians cramming into cafes the last few days, in a show of defiance. It's necessary, in the ideological part of the war on these terrorists.

I'm not blaming people for changing plans, and sometimes it's absolutely essential and prudent to cancel and change plans, nobody should put their lives at risk foolishly, but at the same time, I think that where a threat is made, security should be doubled and tripled to ensure safety, as opposed to just telling everybody to cower in fear in their living rooms and not to go out. By the way, I must reiterate, Tim henman has 3 children and was going to bring them to the tennis, and it's appalling that he can't. I don't blame him at all...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It is alright and indeed would be prudent for the authorities to ask people to cower at home for a few days when there is a credible threat (which is what is the situation currently in Belgium).

It is not ok to live in fear for extended periods of time.

There is a balance here.

I think it is probably prudent to move the DC finals somewhere else, may be to Sao Paulo, the venue of world's greatest indoor clay tournament.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Ghent is currently at the same threat level as London, but less than Brussels (according to the link). Security will be at the maximum. It'll be a relief when it's over and everyone is safe. A "credible threat" can unfortunately occur anywhere right now, and most likely in the least expected place, not the most guarded. But nobody can tell! That's the horror of the situation. Beef up the security and go ahead, unless secure intelligence tells otherwise. And like I say, I wouldn't blame anyone if they avoid it, and I agree with GSM to an extent, but let's all hope and pray that nothing terrible happens at this tennis final...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I cannot forget this attack on SriLankan cricketers not too long ago. Ghent is just 35 miles from Brussels. Let us pray for the safety of all the players and fans.