WTA Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Looking at tomorrow:
Stephens opens play on Chatrier. Hoping the big court helps Stephens. Though I feel like she sometimes prefers the smaller stages. Idk. Definitely would love for her to get past Sorribes Tormo easier than last time.
Svitolina v Kozlova starts off Lenglen for the day. I feel like... I don't know. I mentioned in a previous post already that Svitolina has the wins over Kozlova to suggest Kozlova probably doesn't have much chance in this one. But I guess I'm taking Kozlova's win over Pliskova in Madrid into account. I feel like she's got a shot. An interesting match up.
Pliskova v Kucova is second up on Simmone-Mathieu. Bencic finishes it off.
Muguruza starts off Court 1. Which.... maybe it's because she's just playing Larsson. Maybe it's because it's just a jam packed day. But I am still always a little surprised to see former champions not put on a main show court. Like. Yes. Muguruza has struggled for much of the last 2 years since her 2017 Wimbledon win. But she's still a former champion here. I just just think she'd be on Simmone-Mathieu before Pliskova who only has a semifinal here. I can see why Mladenovic would be on Lenglen. And why Stephens would be on Chatrier. Maybe Bertens shouldn't be on Chatrier. Yes. She's had a great clay season. Is more likely to win this event this year than Muguruza, it feels like. But Muguruza is still a former champion. And a former world no 1. I mean, it does look consistent. The higher ranked players are on the show courts. The only exception being the Frenchwoman Mladenovic. Which again I understand. But I guess I feel like former champions deserve a higher placement. At least at the tournament.
Not a surprise w/ Mugu. It's the way RG schedules. The other day they had Sveta (also a former champ) on court 14 or something way out there.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Popcorn matches tomorrow:
Bencic/Siegemund
Martic/Mlad
Sloane/Tormo

Tenfan63

Futures Player
Reactions
Osaka came from behind like Serena. That 's a sign of a true champion. Don't think she will win RG this year but she does have the heart of a champion

Reactions: tented and britbox

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Osta followed up her RG win with back to back first round exits at RG.

Also, she has won only one other title besides that RG since then.

It is often crazy to call winning a GS as "fluke". But, in her case it might actually be true.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Stephen's soaring through against Sorribes Tormo this time around. 6-1 first set was fantastic tennis from her. Definitely getting some help from SST. But Sloane really just smothering her. The last time they played in Charleston Sloane was not confident at all. And went down early in both sets I think. So she had to fight back to take tiebreaks. So I imagine the fact that she was able to do that, 1) gave her confidence she could beat Sorribes Tormo from any scoreline, and 2) helped her be ready to start this match focused because she knows what she needs to do from the get go. But of course she's also now had 2 more tournaments worth of red clay and finally found some form.
2-love up in the second now. This was what I was hoping would happen. A 6-1 6-1 or 6-1 6-2 match always bodes well for title contenders. SST was able to get to 30-all in that Sloane service game. But nothing more. Hasn't been able to get a break point yet. 3-love Sloane. Love what I'm seeing from her. Of course it doesn't mean this version of Sloane will stay around. And someone like Bertens could play this version better anyways and grind out a win. But this Sloane is definitely dangerous.

Saw Paul Annacone (a former Sloane coach) pick her to win the title on the TC group of experts. The only one. And while I'm sure he's biased. It warmed my cold dead heart a little.

Thought I posted this but apparently it didn't go through. SST now with a hold and a break to love. So finally finding some form. Sloane with a bit of a dip. But mostly SST just playing much better. Finally not missing.

Reactions: britbox

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Osta followed up her RG win with back to back first round exits at RG.

Also, she has won only one other title besides that RG since then.

It is often crazy to call winning a GS as "fluke". But, in her case it might actually be true.

Nah. I really don't think so. I mentioned it in a post above how she's been to the last two Wimbledon quarterfinals including last year's semifinal against Kerber. Won Wimbledon in the juniors. May well end up being more of a threat on grass than clay. She may have been just as surprised about her run on clay as we were. lol

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Not a surprise w/ Mugu. It's the way RG schedules. The other day they had Sveta (also a former champ) on court 14 or something way out there.

I didn't even think about Sveta. Though I understand hers more with her struggling with injuries for a few years now and just barely being on the comeback trail and not highly ranked at all. Still. You'd think a former champ would get some preferential treatment. At least a little love. It's their little world though. They can do what they want.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Frustrating dip from Sloane now. Again. Gotta give credit to SST for playing much much better. She's quit missing. She's allowing Sloane to beat herself. And Sloane is happy to oblige apparently. 4 games on the run now for SST. Sloane has won like 2 points in 18. Or something like that. Broken to 15 this time around.

But takes the first two points of this SST service game. Just hangin in there. Couple of forehand .... slices back? Ya know those shots where a player just slides open stance to their right (or forehand side) and just sort of slaps at it.... that. 40-love though. Annnnd the break back to love. Nothing particularly special to my non-expert eyes. Just didn't miss this time round.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
SST with the break back though. Sloane got the first point but SST better from there on out. Sloane handed her the break point though with a terribly timed double fault though. Missing closer now at least. But not good enough. These dips from her are just so frustrating. Again. Gotta give SST credit. And their last match clearly did give her the confidence that she can win these rallies and so she hung around and waited for her opportunity and Sloane opened the door.

But Sloane up 30-love or love-30 in SST's service game again now. Definitely doesn't want to go to a third set. And now 40-love. SST missed a close one down the line. Had to be checked by the umpire. Sloane gets a look at the second serve and takes that point too.

5-all.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
I was all ready to go watch Tsitsipas/Dellien and take a look at Kudermetova/Diyas and Sloane just couldn't let me go could she. Couldn't just keep it simple. Oy. Another break to 15. Played 2 good points. Only won 1. Went for way too much in the first point and seemed to just be annoyed with herself from there.

But then wins the first two points of SST's service game again. Just so much more comfortable returning. SST donated the break point with a double fault. Annnd donated the break with a second successive double fault.

Tiebreak. Sloane second in two matches.

Reactions: tented

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Takes the breaker 7-3. Didn't look like it was gonna be 7-3 though. Not at 4-2 or 4-3. Just found some good shots. Played some good defense on one or two points and pulled it out.

She's SO frustrating. Because she's SO good. Like. You can see it. How dominating she could be. And how dominant she is in stretches of her matches. Even during stretches of most of her losses. And then you see why she's not dominant. And it's SO annoying as a fan. But I'm not her. I'm not on court. And you have to take the good with the bad with her. And that's just that. I'm tempted to say that this level won't be good enough against better competition. But... I mean... she probably has another level than what we saw today but also... just, it's just about being able to find those stretches of sublime, dominating form. If she can do that. She can beat anyone. If she can't, anyone can beat her.

I'm inclined to think her next opponent, whether Brady or Hercog, is easier than SST. Though SST isn't that hard. So maybe just one the same level. But.... I hope Sloane doesn't think that way. I need her at her focused self that doesn't underestimate anyone, like she was in the first set today.

Kudermetova pulled the opposite of Sloane apparently. 7-5 6-1 win for her. Didn't get to see it. So I haven't learned anything about her. But if Kanepi can turn her second set bagel into a three set win I'll definitely get a glimpse of Kudermetova come .... Friday.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Looked like Kanepi and Zhang were just gonna keep trading breaks with Zhang up 40-15 in Kanepi's service game at 3-1. But Kanepi pulled it out and finally has a bit of an opening. 4-1. 2 games from the second round.

Zhang holds for 2-4.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Kanepi again having to save 2 break points. After failing to do so the last time. And failing to break though she had chances. She's save 10 break points now I think though. Zhang is 3/13 on break points. Could be the difference in this match. Though... they're on serve. We'll see if Kanepi can find one more break before a second breaker.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Osaka came from behind like Serena. That 's a sign of a true champion. Don't think she will win RG this year but she does have the heart of a champion
she should keep Serena out of her mouth,her father did enough damage with his you know....

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Bertens calls for a trainer and doctor down 3-1 and almost 4-1. And retires. No idea what is going on. She keeps talking about her hands shaking. I can't tell what is going on. Her 2019 French Open comes to an early end.

When I saw Kuzmova go up. I looked at their h2h because I realized I hadn't checked it out and they split 2 three setters this year already. Both on hard courts. But Kuzmova could definitely have beaten her.

Very curious to know what she says in any presser. Hate to see anyone have to go out like that but especially for Bertens after such a great clay season.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Bad luck Kiki Bertens who retired in her match against Kuzmova 1-3 in the 1st set,Kiki had a really good lead up on the clay this year,she told the trainer on court 'I don't have any power and I don't feel well'......in her press conference she woke up feeling ill in her stomach,started vomiting,decided to play,then could not go on,felt shaky etc and had to withdraw.

Bianca Andreescu has withdrawn ahead of her 2R match against Sofia Kenin.....that shoulder is still a concern.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just like to draw people's attention to the fact that former world No 5 Lucie Safarova has played her final match at Roland Garos,partnering Dominika Cibulkova to a first rd loss of Sofia Kenin and Andrea Petkovic.

Lucie 32,was runner up in singles to Serena Williams in 2015 at Roland Garos,also doubles champion in 2015 and 2017.

"I hope they remember me as a nice fun player who they liked to watch"

Good luck in your retirement Lucie!

Status
Not open for further replies.