WTA Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Are you saying you picked Vika to win RG in your challenge?
No, I have her up to the semis. I am leading in WTA bracket for the moment, but I made some bad choices which I will regret later, such as Barty beating Serena. I have Pliskova for a win of RG

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
That's a bold choice. I wouldn't have picked Pliskobot to win on this surface. A little too robotic for my taste against some hardcore dirtballers.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sasha will be giving Vika tips on beating voodoo gal..

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pliskova peaked in Rome..
I don't know when women peak, they are generally unpredictable.

@kskate2 There is too many title contenders in women's draw, just went with Pliskova on a feeling, no particular love for her, but she seems to be getting ready for a slam title, but as you said maybe just won't be on the clay.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I don't know when women peak, they are generally unpredictable.

@kskate2 There is too many title contenders in women's draw, just went with Pliskova on a feeling, no particular love for her, but she seems to be getting ready for a slam title, but as you said maybe just won't be on the clay.

Her results at Wimbledon are a bit surprising, since she’s a tall server. Yet she lost in the first round of the USO the year before she got to the final.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I'd like to see Simona's first match as defending champ, but how much you wanna bet TTC shows the abomination that is Madison Keys

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
this RG has no clear favorite...just saying

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
No, I have her up to the semis. I am leading in WTA bracket for the moment, but I made some bad choices which I will regret later, such as Barty beating Serena. I have Pliskova for a win of RG

I picked Sloane over Serena in the finals lol unlikely

Reactions: don_fabio

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
They made all these changes to RG, but didn't incorporate any lights on the courts. I guess they don't want any night time tennis.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
I think everyone is hitting on why I didn't do a bracket. I kept vacillating between different players winning this or that. And as we saw, I thought the two titlists and one of the finalists from last week could possibly do well. They all lost. While the fourth finalist, that I didn't mention, because I don't care about her is Garcia, is the only one that was seeded and she won. So my choices are rarely rational. I like to think they are. Because I put reasons behind them. But if I think it about it, it's probably just reasons I come up with to justify my emotional choices.

Good win for Osaka today. Doesn't look good. But she played terribly and found a way through. Found that inner confidence or voice or whatever that has allowed her to make herself a champion. So she showed her champion side today. Of course, AKS is not exactly the most difficult player to come back against. So she had help. Match was entirely on Osaka's racket. A bunch of errors. But a bunch or winners. The better returner. The better point constructor. The easy power. Just the better player.

I'm sad I missed the Vika/Ostapenko match. I probably would have found it frustrating. But it sounds like it was fun nonetheless. Glad to see Vika through. Ostapenko now with two first round exits after winning the title. Definitely doesn't look good. BUT... while she's not been good at all this year, she's made two straight Wimbledon quarters, including the semis last year. I think her run to the semis last year was partially because she got a very good draw. Everything fell apart for her to have to play basically no one to the quarters. Though Flipkens had been to the Wimbledon semis before. Then beat Cibulkova before falling to Kerber playing some of the best tennis of her career. She won Wimbledon in the juniors. So Wimbledon really may be where she has her best results. Thrilled to see Vika through. Osaka can definitely beat her. But she can definitely beat Osaka. Neither of them is at home on clay. So hopefully it'll be a great match. Huge Osaka fan. Would not be sad to see her win. But will definitely be rooting for Vika. Been a huge fan of hers longer and am just looking to see her build her ranking back up. But Osaka still probably the better player at this point. At least her second serve isn't useless. But if she plays like she did today, Vika will definitely take advantage.

The second round is shaping up to have some really nice matches actually. Osaka/Vika, Collins/Barty, Kenin/Andreescu, Sabalenka/Anisimova, Stephens/Sorribes Tormo, Potapova/Vondrousova, Mladenovic/Martic, Hseih/Petkovic, Kasatkina/Puig.

Muchova picked up right where she left off after Prague and beat Kontaveit. I thought Kontaveit would win that one fairly easily actually because Muchova hadn't played since Prague. But her pretty good spring continues. Failed to qualify here last year. So it'll add at least a little ranking points for her. And she definitely has an opportunity against Begu. Though Begu will definitely see it as an opening in her draw as well. Not sure how that one will go at all. The French has been her best slam, by a good bit. And she's defending a 3rd round from last year. And this entire quarter opened up when Kvitova pulled out. Sabalenka will definitely feel like she's got an opening. But, the way she's been playing, I wouldn't be surprised to see Anisimova beat her. Or Begu if she makes the third round. Or Muchova either. And the 4th round could be anyone from Alexandrova/Stosur and Bolsova/Cirstea. No idea who wins ANY of these matches. Sabalenka the most powerful probably. Obviously the highest ranked. Played sublime tennis to finish last year. But really has not been great this year and definitely not this clay season. So I can't really pick her either. Wide open eighth of the draw. Halep will probably beat whoever shows up. But... of course Halep isn't unbeatable. Currently down a break early in the second set. I can't imagine Tomljanovic having the goods to win the match though. The quarter is definitely Halep's for the taking. Should Sabalenka make it to Halep. She's got the power and game to beat her. No doubt. But Halep could certainly drub her too. Or grind it out more likely.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Well pretty hard for Halep to win the set from here. So good set from Tomljanovic. Serving well. Hasn't allowed a break point. Playing Halep hard. Keeping her shots in play. Not going for too much. Though she has 13 winners (to Halep's 11). I still imagine Halep will take the decider. But if you can get a set, you've got the goods to take the match. So I'll have to say I was wrong about her in my last post. Of course as I get ready to post this Halep earns herself a break point....

We'll see how it falls.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
French Open Results for Round 1 Day 3 - Tuesday, May 28, 2019
upload_2019-5-28_14-27-11.png

upload_2019-5-28_14-28-3.png

upload_2019-5-28_14-28-58.png

upload_2019-5-28_14-29-56.png

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Continuing to look at the draw, Kanepi has a bit of an opening. But I say that aware that she's just the player I know best out of Kudermetova, Diyas, and Zhang. I think she's the best player out of them. But it's possible that she's just the most accomplished and oldest. And especially on clay I can see Zhang beating her. But Diyas has never impressed me. And Kudermetova is still just a young unknown to me. She's not that young. Already 22. But has never had a big win that I am aware of. Until now. So I've never paid much attention to her. So I just don't know what she brings to the table. But she lost a 7-6, 6-3 match to Kanepi in Charleston recently. So if she can get to Kanepi, and Kanepi can beat Zhang, she can play with Kanepi. And a 4th round appearance at RG would be good for both of them rankings wise. Pliskova slated to be the 4th round opponent for whoever comes out of that section. Kanepi for one has never beaten Pliskova in 3 meetings. But has taken 2 sets. A lot of tennis to be played before the 4th round though. A Pliskova/Mladenovic 3rd round would be interesting. But Kucova does have a win over Pliskova. Way back in 2010. Not sure it was at the WTA level though. It was at a 50k Athens event. Looks like that's probably and ITF event. Also on hard courts. Hardly relevant nearly a decade later. But it's there. Would love to see Kanepi find a way through to the quarters though. Just one of those old guns I have a soft spot for. Her run to the US Open semis 2 years ago was really nice to see (or was it just the quarters).

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
French Open Order of Play for Round 2 Wednesday, May 29, 2019
upload_2019-5-28_14-33-47.png

upload_2019-5-28_14-35-33.png

upload_2019-5-28_14-41-23.png

upload_2019-5-28_14-45-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-28_14-33-37.png
    upload_2019-5-28_14-33-37.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 117

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Looking at tomorrow:
Stephens opens play on Chatrier. Hoping the big court helps Stephens. Though I feel like she sometimes prefers the smaller stages. Idk. Definitely would love for her to get past Sorribes Tormo easier than last time.
Svitolina v Kozlova starts off Lenglen for the day. I feel like... I don't know. I mentioned in a previous post already that Svitolina has the wins over Kozlova to suggest Kozlova probably doesn't have much chance in this one. But I guess I'm taking Kozlova's win over Pliskova in Madrid into account. I feel like she's got a shot. An interesting match up.
Pliskova v Kucova is second up on Simmone-Mathieu. Bencic finishes it off.
Muguruza starts off Court 1. Which.... maybe it's because she's just playing Larsson. Maybe it's because it's just a jam packed day. But I am still always a little surprised to see former champions not put on a main show court. Like. Yes. Muguruza has struggled for much of the last 2 years since her 2017 Wimbledon win. But she's still a former champion here. I just just think she'd be on Simmone-Mathieu before Pliskova who only has a semifinal here. I can see why Mladenovic would be on Lenglen. And why Stephens would be on Chatrier. Maybe Bertens shouldn't be on Chatrier. Yes. She's had a great clay season. Is more likely to win this event this year than Muguruza, it feels like. But Muguruza is still a former champion. And a former world no 1. I mean, it does look consistent. The higher ranked players are on the show courts. The only exception being the Frenchwoman Mladenovic. Which again I understand. But I guess I feel like former champions deserve a higher placement. At least at the tournament.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watching Osaka's match when her forehand breaks down like it did in this match,at times,she is vulnerable,she found it again in the final set.

Love watching Halep on clay,though the Aussie played well,she can now join her boyfriend on the beach somewhere,waiting for the grass season:)

Really surprised how well Vika is playing on clay her least fav surface,though she and Ash Barty did win the doubles in Rome.Vika will now play Osaka next) is that a Popcorn match?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.