WTA Roland Garros / French Open, Paris, France, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Have they played each other before? though I think Sloane has the advantage on clay
They played each other last month and Konta won in 3 sets. In fact ES has a losing record to her. But Sloane plays better in the slams, so the previous matches may not matter

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
They played each other last month and Konta won in 3 sets. In fact ES has a losing record to her. But Sloane plays better in the slams, so the previous matches may not matter

Agree,Sloane usually saves her best form for Grand Slams.....I wish she was more consistent she has the game to win more titles.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
French Open Order of Play for Round 4 Monday, June 3, 2019

upload_2019-6-2_15-5-14.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-2_13-46-55.png
    upload_2019-6-2_13-46-55.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am quite surprised my young Aussie Ash Barty has done soo well on the clay this year,not her surface,winning the doubles in Rome with Azarenka,love watching Ash she has great variety in her game.It will be a tough match against Kenin who played at a high level yesterday,winning in straights sets against Serena.

Reactions: britbox

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Also, Sloane plays better on clay. Nobody expected Konta to go this far at RG considering her previous clay record.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Had to record Martic's match just finished watching.....congrats to a well deserved win,Kskate and I were discussing this match up yesterday and thought it would go 3 sets.

Konta has been the 'surprise packet' of the tournament so far for me,not really a 'dirtballer' lol

Watched Martic in the morning for a set and a half before going out. Then checked scores often until the match ended.

I was so happy for her win. She showed resilience and never give up attitude. Coming back from a set down and 0:2 in 2nd set to storm through with 6 games in the row. Then again 0:2 in the 3rd, comes back, goes break up, break back, match leveled, has chances at 3:3, makes huge hold at 3:4 and finally breaks Kanepi in last 2 games. Hope she can get another win against Vondrousova.

Vekic disappointed me today. I tought she will give much harder time to Konta, but couldn't even put up a decent fight.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Watched Martic in the morning for a set and a half before going out. Then checked scores often until the match ended.

I was so happy for her win. She showed resilience and never give up attitude. Coming back from a set down and 0:2 in 2nd set to storm through with 6 games in the row. Then again 0:2 in the 3rd, comes back, goes break up, break back, match leveled, has chances at 3:3, makes huge hold at 3:4 and finally breaks Kanepi in last 2 games. Hope she can get another win against Vondrousova.

Vekic disappointed me today. I tought she will give much harder time to Konta, but couldn't even put up a decent fight.

I love watching Martic on clay,I knew this would be a tough match for her,she is getting stronger with each match,also her belief .Clay to me is the hardest GS to win,for 2 weeks it tests your mental and physical ability.True clay court players use every inch of the court,they can turn defense into offense,their footwork is just a pleasure to watch,which can translate to other surfaces as well.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I love watching Martic on clay,I knew this would be a tough match for her,she is getting stronger with each match,also her belief .Clay to me is the hardest GS to win,for 2 weeks it tests your mental and physical ability.True clay court players use every inch of the court,they can turn defense into offense,their footwork is just a pleasure to watch,which can translate to other surfaces as well.
I see plenty of love here for Martic, that's nice to see. Ever since she come back from that last injury she is solid. I feel like she enjoys the big stage and her game flourish there.

She is one of these players who plays with the brain a lot, not just the power and boom boom tennis from the baseline like many others. She has a really good variety in her game and is pleasure to watch. Sometimes I feel like she don't even know of what she is capable.of and hope she uses this new found self belief and continues her run in this tournamet.

RG is my favourite slam. You see just about everything in tennis you can see.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I see plenty of love here for Martic, that's nice to see. Ever since she come back from that last injury she is solid. I feel like she enjoys the big stage and her game flourish there.

She is one of these players who plays with the brain a lot, not just the power and boom boom tennis from the baseline like many others. She has a really good variety in her game and is pleasure to watch. Sometimes I feel like she don't even know of what she is capable.of and hope she uses this new found self belief and continues her run in this tournamet.

RG is my favourite slam. You see just about everything in tennis you can see.

I have been to RG many times,also other clay tournaments.....it will always be my fav GS.

Reactions: don_fabio

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
well Thiem the diva istill mad at Serena...bwahaha Serena really hurt his feelings...some men would have laughed it off but he had to throw a tantrum.....

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Well. I feel like Kenin/Barty will indeed live up to the billing. Kenin has only been able to force one tiebreak and still lost that, in two matches. But she's getting better obviously. Has the confidence of beating Serena. Hopefully. I'm not necessarily pulling against Barty. And I think she'll probably win it. But I'm just hoping it can be a great match. Barty won a 3 set match with Vika today in doubles though. Soooo she's not entirely well rested. Match strong. Confident from winning. But, we'll see if she can sustain her level in both.

I think Swiatek can hang with Halep. And maybe push her. And because I don't know much about her and she seems to have had a nice clay season and a good serve, I guess she could surprise us and Halep and upset her. But I doubt Halep will be too surprised by her. She's certainly had her scouting reports. I'm sure. Plus she knows she has to battle. Like all the time. Should be Halep. But I'm not set that it'll be in straight sets.

Siniakova/Keys may be my match of the day. Though, at this point they all matter and I really can see Halep/Swiatek being a cracker of a match. I CAN definitely see this one being a dud. Mostly just in a fairly routine win for Keys. But they've never played. So there may be opportunities on both sides to get into each other's games and that could extend the match. And, I don't know. Keys is clearly having one of her good weeks. And she feels confident here. Peaked here last year. Has played well and fought hard this week. But when Siniakova was playing well in singles.... 2ish years ago. I barely remember it now and I did not see her match with Osaka. But she's got game. And obviously she deals with the big match pressure just fine. She's doubles number 1 and has 2 doubles slams, including last year's French. That's totally something you can translate into confidence in the singles game for the next year. If you had some singles success before. Definitely not coming out of nowhere. So, I guess I can see either lady running away with it. But I think it's gonna be a battle. Which, is not good for the last of the ladies matches I need to mention.
Anisimova/Bolsova looks like it could be a fantastic match up. I know nothing about Bolsova other than the very little I've seen this week and her score lines which say to me she serves well. Anisimova, quite tall, obviously serves well. But breaks at will quite often too. Broke Sabalenka somewhat easily. And while she was broken by Begu multiple times. She dismissed Begu's serves quite a bit. If she can do that to Bolsova, she may be too much for Bolsova. But Bolsova looks really good. Playing the tennis of her life. Coming out of obscurity. Should already be top 90 now. And if she wins this match, she'll jump into the top 70. Partially because she had to qualify. Which also means she's on a winning streak that could help her in the match. OR it could mean she's getting to the end of her run. Could be tired. Though her match lengths do not suggest that. We'll see.
What I was referring to at the end of the third paragraph though is the crazy schedule they've got for tomorrow. Anisimova/Bolsova may have to move to Chatrier if it's not too late a finish there because I can almost guarantee you these two, the last match on Lenglen, are not going to get started in time to finish. IF they let them start there, maybe they'll let them finish no matter the time because they want the quarters set. But I mean. I'm not sure they will get started. And as I mentioned in a different post today, I'm not sure they're allowed to let anyone play after 9pm.

I feel like Keys Siniakova could go 3. Then you've got at least 1 set for Nishikori/Paire because you had a garbage schedule today. If it goes two sets.... And if the second set goes long because it's a 5th set with no tiebreak... dear God. Because after that, I feel confident that Fognini/Zverev is going at least 4. I might be a bit surprised if they don't go 5. And then Khachanov/DelPo, I think it could be short. But it could also go 5. I think 4 is the most likely. With DelPo the victor. But Khachanov likes it here. His third straight trip to the fourth round. And they played 3 matches last year. DelPo won all 3. But all three had at least one tiebreak in them. Their AO match went 4 sets and they split two tiebreaks. Even if DelPo wins in 3 sets. If one or two go to tiebreaks, that's a 45 minute to hour long set. Maybe more. They're both big and play first strike tennis and won't be having a bunch of long grueling rallies. Though I'm sure there will be some. But matches where breaks are few and far between are never short.
Best case scenario is an hour and half for Keys/Siniakova. A quick set for Nishikori in under an hour. I legit do not think either Zverev or Fognini can win in straights. I just flat out do not believe it is possible. Fognini playing too well for Zverev to out do him in straights. But Fognini to wild and emotional to beat Zverev, who is not playing poorly, in straights. If they're out there less than 3 hours I'd be shocked. And then I'd put DelPo/Khachanov down for 2 and half hours minimum. That's best case scenarios. That would put Anisimova/Bolsova on at 7pm. That would be doable. But... how likely is that the best case scenario happens. I think they'll be lucky to play on Lenglen at all. Much less before 8pm. Now. It's one match. Chatrier really could be very short if all the top players are in fine form. It could just move to Chatrier. My question is, if Chatrier is not short and available, will they move them to another court? Or will they force them to play two days. Which, at this stage, would simply not be fair to them at all. Though, at this stage in their career's, I'm betting they're just happy to be here, much less challenging for the quarters. They'd do what they have to do. But they shouldn't have to.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hopefully this match Barty v Kenin wont be that long as I have to work night shift.

Kenin won the toss and will receive.Hardly anyone in the stands,though it is early in Paris overcast not as hot and windy as yesterday.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Barty using her slice bhand to perfection and has 3 BPs.....Barty breaks to love......Barty 2-0

Ash Barty's serve has really improved this year

Ash consolidates 3-0

Kenin on the board with a good service game to love.....Barty 3-1

Ash replies with a love service game and leads 4-1.....she is giving no rhythm to Kenin at all.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Double break now for Ash bringing Kenin forward using the slice and gets the error

Barty will serve for the 1st set 5-1

Kenin more aggressive on return and stepping onto the court breaks Ash......

Kenin will serve 2-5...Kenin with a good service game

Barty will again serve for the 1st set 5-3

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Double break now for Ash bringing Kenin forward using the slice and gets the error

Barty will serve for the 1st set 5-1

Kenin more aggressive on return and stepping onto the court breaks Ash......

Kenin will serve 2-5
I have this match on while I'm breading the schnitzels. Kenin breaks and looks to go 5:3 now. Rain drizzles over there.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have this match on while I'm breading the schnitzels. Kenin breaks and looks to go 5:3 now. Rain drizzles over there.

Yep typical Spring weather in Paris,one day hot,next day cool,some people in the crowd with their umbrella's up

Barty 6-3 1st set in 25 mins.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kenin with a bathroom break will serve first in the 2nd set

More positive start from Kenin on her opening service game

Ash lob long in her service game and Kenin breaks.....momentum change in this match,Kenin much more aggressive in her shots,stepping in to take the ball early leads 3-0

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, Kenin playing better now, 3:0

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Great defensive lob from Ash she gets on the board in the 2nd set.....Kenin 3-1

Having computer troubles....Kenin 4-1

Ash needs to mix up her serve more.Kenin reading it well.......Kenin 4-2

Much better service game from Ash with a love hold