WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Agreed. I get that she’s upset over what’s been happening in her country. Who wouldn’t, if it were your country? But she’s playing as if she’s literally fighting the war herself on court.
I don't think the war is the outlier. This all started w/ the Wimby win. She has a chip on her shoulder (rightly so) because she didn't get the points or respect for being a Wimby champion. She also didn't get to the WTA finals last year because of the lack of points and all around it's left a bitter taste in her mouth.

Reactions: tented and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tennis is returning to Brisbane in 2024. WTA500 tournament starts 31st December to 7th January ( though usually this is a death wish of a tournament for players who have won this tournament, and dont go onto win the AO).

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jelena Osptapenko earns her 2nd top 5 wins in as many months, taking out Jess Pegula (4) in straight sets 64 62
Ostapenko No 17 in world ranking advances to the QFs in China

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena back in the day

I guess Serena didn't want to lose to Saba,and possibly create another pova.A number of players wanted to beat Serena so that they can get to the $$$.Osaka did it,pova and others...these days there is no Midas for these gals.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Jelena Osptapenko earns her 2nd top 5 wins in as many months, taking out Jess Pegula (4) in straight sets 64 62
Ostapenko No 17 in world ranking advances to the QFs in China
Penko can take the racket out of your hands when she feels like playing.Pegula overplayed this season, playing doubles at every tourney.She better have a better schedule next season.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Penko can take the racket out of your hands when she feels like playing.Pegula overplayed this season, playing doubles at every tourney.She better have a better schedule next season.
Agree, though I read she dosent like practice that much and she prefers to get her practice playing doubles and mixed doubles, though when it mattered in singles at the USO she was as 'flat at a pancake' and lost, currently Jess and Coco who are the No2 seeds in the doubles in China, have just started their match.
I think both Coco and Jess need to sit down at the end of the year and think carefully about their doubles play for season 2024

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Agree, though I read she dosent like practice that much and she prefers to get her practice playing doubles and mixed doubles, though when it mattered in singles at the USO she was as 'flat at a pancake' and lost, currently Jess and Coco who are the No2 seeds in the doubles in China, have just started their match.
I think both Coco and Jess need to sit down at the end of the year and think carefully about their doubles play for season 2024
Good points..I was more concerned about Coco s single career than Jess...I NEVER felt Jess would win a GS but anything is possible..Jess reminds me of Elina Svitolina aka Mrs Monfils..Just as @kskate2 said a few years ago, really no real weapons to threaten the top tier players like Saba and Rybakina although Elina has added more fire power to her arsenal now and could win GS now. I don't watch their doubles matches enough to give a fair analysis..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good points..I was more concerned about Coco s single career than Jess...I NEVER felt Jess would win a GS but anything is possible..Jess reminds me of Elina Svitolina aka Mrs Monfils..Just as @kskate2 said a few years ago, really no real weapons to threaten the top tier players like Saba and Rybakina although Elina has added more fire power to her arsenal now and could win GS now. I don't watch their doubles matches enough to give a fair analysis..
Well Coco and Jess were defeated in their doubles match earlier today. Jess played singles, doubles and mixed doubles at the USO and lost. Playing doubles at GS, as well as singles, at least you get a day off, Coco and Jess may think of that for next year, and skip some of the other WTA tournaments, just my opinion

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
China Open, WTA1000,
Round 16 matches, 5th October,
Singles matches,
Diamond Court,
starts at 12.30pm,

C.Garcia (9) vs A.Kalinina

Not before 2.30pm,
C.Gauff (3) vs V.Kudmetova (16)
M.Sakkari (6) vs X.Wang

Not before 7.30pm,
A.Sabalenka (1) vs J.Paolini

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I think both Coco and Jess need to sit down at the end of the year and think carefully about their doubles play for season 20

McEnroe didn't historically didn't like to practice regularly but when he played doubles he was by far the world's best doubles player. Jess reminds me of Kerber but not as mentally tough..

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
McEnroe didn't historically didn't like to practice regularly but when he played doubles he was by far the world's best doubles player. Jess reminds me of Kerber but not as mentally tough..
Well Kerber won 3 GS, had the ability to absorb and use her opponents pace, keeping shots close to the baseline,,also one of her strengths was in her legs, more of a defensive player, though knew when to turn defense into offense, Jess has the abillity to be more of a offensive player to me, though at times is too passive, lately her serve has let her down big time.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I always wonder if Pegula has a large security team traveling with her considering that she comes from a lot of money.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Garcia (9) d Kalinina 63 62 in China
Until 2 weeks ago Garcia hadnt reached a WTA1000 QF this year. She's now reached 2 back to back

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco Gauff saves 4 SPs in the 1st set and comes back from 4-5 0-40 to defeat Tokyo champ Veronika Kudermetova 76(5) 62 and reach the QFs China WTA1000
BTW Coco Gauff now has won 15 consecutive matches in the WTA during 2023, she now has the longest winning streak of this year eclipsing Iga Swiatek's 14 match winning run between RG and Wimbledon Form.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
China WTA1000,
QFs Singles matches, 6th October,

Diamond Court,
starts at 12.30pm,

I.Swiatek (2) vs C.Garcia H2H Swiatek 2-1

Not before 2.30pm,

C.Gauff (3) vs M.Sakkari (6) H2H Sakkari 4-2
J.Ostapenko (13) vs L. Samsonova H2H Ostapenko 2-1
A.Sabalenka (1) vs E.Rybakina (5) H2H Sabalenka 4-1

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kudermetova out of the WTA Finals Race
Now 5 players fighting for 3 spots. Vondrousova, Jabeur, Muchova, Sakkari ( needs to win today to stay alive) and Ostapenko ( needs to win the title to stay alive)

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Swiatek and Garcia have needed 2 hours to split sets in Beijing 76(8) and 76(5) .Swiatek levels and we are going 3 sets.Really high quality hitting between these 2 players , not much separates them

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The 5th matchpoint did it - but what a battle - well done ladies
1696576528161.png

lOOK AT THE AMOUNT OF ACES
1696576796866.png

Status
Not open for further replies.