WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tossip,

I just looked at Taylor's rankings after she won the tournament in California, she was previously #89 now #77, that was my mistake when I said she was just out of the Top 100
She should play two more ITF events before end of season,and she might reach the top forty.Its never too late to realize your dreams.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Australian Open will now start on a Sunday becoming a 15 day event for the first time. The move to a Sunday start is designed to help alleviate the pressure on late night finishes for players and fans, according to Craig Tiley. The first round will be played over 3 days, instead of 2. The competition will start on Sunday 14th January, 2024.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
There was no movement in the Top Ten this week,
These are the Top Movers of the week,
No 63 D. Shnaider +22
No 98 L. Fruhvirtova +19
No 77 T.Townsend +12
No 76 N.Podoroska +11

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Coco takes the win in a fantastic even match - well done ladies
1696329602810.png

1696329770550.png

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
China Open WTA1000
Matches 4th October,
Diamond Court Round of 16
Starts at 12pm,

J. Pegula (4) vs J.Ostapenko (13)

Lotus Court Round of 16
Starts at 12pm,

L. Samsonova vs M. Kostyuk
I.Swiatek (2) vs M.Linnette
E.Rybakina (5) vs M.Andreeva

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
More on Rybakina and the performance bye controversy (apparently the WTA instituted the rule without consulting with the players): https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/te...c0f5974f092a932&ocid=winp2fptaskbarhover&ei=4

"I don't think it would be good to put this rule only at the end of the season because we had many events like this. I don't think it looks good that the World No. 1 does not have a bye," she said.

"This is something to discuss with the players and see how it is going to be the rule in the future because it has not been fulfilled for four years, and that is why many players, especially young players, did not know it. It is not that difficult to explain how it is going to work, that is why many players are not happy," Rybakina added.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
More on Rybakina and the performance bye controversy (apparently the WTA instituted the rule without consulting with the players): https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/te...c0f5974f092a932&ocid=winp2fptaskbarhover&ei=4

"I don't think it would be good to put this rule only at the end of the season because we had many events like this. I don't think it looks good that the World No. 1 does not have a bye," she said.

"This is something to discuss with the players and see how it is going to be the rule in the future because it has not been fulfilled for four years, and that is why many players, especially young players, did not know it. It is not that difficult to explain how it is going to work, that is why many players are not happy," Rybakina added.
Quite frankly I am sick of her whinging? of this rule, players like Swiatek understand the rule and like it, Rybakina needs to move on and concentrate on playing tennis

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Quite frankly I am sick of her whinging? of this rule, players like Swiatek understand the rule and like it, Rybakina needs to move on and concentrate on playing tennis
Agreed. I get that she’s upset over what’s been happening in her country. Who wouldn’t, if it were your country? But she’s playing as if she’s literally fighting the war herself on court.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Agreed. I get that she’s upset over what’s been happening in her country. Who wouldn’t, if it were your country? But she’s playing as if she’s literally fighting the war herself on court.
I agree, she is playing the victim card in regards to the performance byes, because she didnt receive one and then pulled out sick? dummy spitting as far as I am concerned, I like her game, at the moment all she is doing is complaining.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I agree, she is playing the victim card in regards to the performance byes, because she didnt receive one and then pulled out sick? dummy spitting as far as I am concerned, I like her game, at the moment all she is doing is complaining.
“Dummy spitting” — that’s a new one for me, but I love it!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Here is the WTA player council to come on duty after the WTA Finals,
Azarenka and Dabrowski were re-elected
Garcia and Saville are new. The rest are still serving their terms.
Players Council members,

Azarenka - Top 20 member
Garcia
Keys
Pegula
Vekic - 21-50 member
Saville - 51-100 member
Dabrowski 21 and + doubles only representative
Krunic 101+ and doubles only representative

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yes..she is now really annoying.I hate to say it but.."shut up and play"..lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.