WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Results of matches WTA500 Tokyo,September 27

The only upset was the defending champion L. Samsonova was defeated in straight sets 64 62 by Alexandrova
Jess Pegula(2) d C.Busca 61 62
V. Kudermetova (8) d K.Day 63 63
I. Swiatek (1) d M.Hontoma 64 75

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA500 Tokyo, matches 28th September,
Starting at 11.00am

L. Noskova v A.Pavlyuchenkova
D.Kasatkina (6) v D.Papamichail
C.Garcia (5) v A.Kalinina
M.Sakkari (4) v M.Doi

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The USTA today announced that Hall of Famer, Grand Slam Champion and four time year end world no 1 Lindsay Davenport will be the next captain of the US Billie Jean King Cup team. A three time Billie Jean King Cup champion, Davenport will become the team's 20th captain following the 2023 finals which will be captained by Kathy Rinaldi

Reactions: kskate2 and tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Results of matches Tokyo 28th September,

A.Pavlyuchenkova d L. Noskova 63 46 60
D.Kastakina (6) d D.Papamichail 64 64
C.Garcia (5) d A.Kalinina 64 63
M.Sakkari (4) d M.Doi 63 61..........that was Missy Doi's last professional tennis match as she has retired. Good luck in your retirement.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA500 Tokyo,
QFs matches, 29th September,
Starts at 11.00am

A.Pavlyuchenkova vs E.Alexandrova
I.Swiatek (1) vs V.Kudermetova (8)
J.Pegula (2) vs D.Kastakina (6)
M.Sakkari (4) vs C.Garcia (5)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco Gauff has accepted a wild card into WTA500 Zhengzhou Open,China, starting 9th October

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The first of the QFs in Tokyo WTA500,

Good to see Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova defeating Alexandrova 62 75 to make her first SF since RG 2021, Pavs has had knee surgery, Pavs and had time off the tour, one of the cleanest ball strikers on the tour!

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In the 2nd QF final match in Tokyo,
Kudermetova d Swiatek (1) 62 26 64.
Before today, Veronika hadnt won a single match against Iga in 4 matches played. She had never won more than 3 games in a set.
Strong effort from Veronika, into the SF at Tokyo

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jess Pegula in her QF match against Kasatkina easily reaches the SF in Toyko 61 60

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In the last QF match between Sakkari and Garcia, Sakkari seems to have the 'wood' on Garcia and defeated her easily 62 62

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA500 Toyko
SF matches,
30 September,
Matches starts at 12.00pm,

V.Kudermetova vs A.Palyuchenkova
J.Pegula (2) vs M.Sakkari (4)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well we know now who will be coaching Naomi Osaka when she returns to the tour in 2024, her former coach Wim Fissette who informed Zheng Qinwen their partnership had finished and he was going back to coach Osaka. ( source opencourt)
This is Zheng Qinwen comments to media in Hangzhou,
" I really understand his choice.But I think it's immoral for him to break the contract.But this is his choice, I have to respect it.This thing hurt me and my family deeply. So I dont want to mention him now".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kskate2 and tossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well we know now who will be coaching Naomi Osaka when she returns to the tour in 2024, her former coach Wim Fissette who informed Zheng Qinwen their partnership had finished and he was going back to coach Osaka. ( source opencourt)
This is Zheng Qinwen comments to media in Hangzhou,
" I really understand his choice.But I think it's immoral for him to break the contract.But this is his choice, I have to respect it.This thing hurt me and my family deeply. So I dont want to mention him now".
Wim is only loyal to $$$,and Osaka has loads of money.I am glad Gauff didn't use him because he would have dumped her once Ms big bucks showed up.Qinwen even listened to his advice not to talk about Serena..lol.Most the players that have said that they are Serena fans have won Grand slams, Saba,Coco ,Bartoli and Penko.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wim is only loyal to $$$,and Osaka has loads of money.I am glad Gauff didn't use him because he would have dumped her once Ms big bucks showed up.Qinwen even listened to his advice not to talk about Serena..lol.Most the players that have said that they are Serena fans have won Grand slams, Saba,Coco and Penko.
Well it isnt the first time Wim has done this, remember Osaka dumped him and brought her father on board, then she found out she was pregnant., Osaka also poached Bianca Andreescu's trainer. Hard lesson learnt for Qinwen, her previous coach is now one of Gauff's coaches, it is like a merry go round with coaches on the WTA tour at times.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Beijing WTA1000
Main draw begins on Saturday, September 30,
Sabalenka
Swiatek
Gauff
Pegula are the 4 top seeds
The 4 tournament performance byes were given to the SFs players at the Toray Pan Pacific Open, Pegula,Sakkari, Kudmermetova, Pavlyuchenkova.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Beijing WTA1000
Main draw begins on Saturday, September 30,
Sabalenka
Swiatek
Gauff
Pegula are the 4 top seeds
The 4 tournament performance byes were given to the SFs players at the Toray Pan Pacific Open, Pegula,Sakkari, Kudmermetova, Pavlyuchenkova.
So is Rybakina going to opt out because of the byes..lol.She is acting entitled as if the WTA owes her something.Performance byes have been there for a long time,it's Shante you stay or sashay away..lol.I hope everyone plays well and hopefully the matchups are competitive.I am looking forward to Saba vs Kenin.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
So is Rybakina going to opt out because of the byes..lol.She is acting entitled as if the WTA owes her something.Performance byes have been there for a long time,it's Shante you stay or sashay away..lol.I hope everyone plays well and hopefully the matchups are competitive.I am looking forward to Saba vs Kenin.
No lol! as far as I am aware she is playing, yes Performance byes have been in place for sometime, though the WTA said they are trialing them again? strange lol!
well she spat her dummy and then said she could not play Tokyo tournament because of illness, after learning of the Performance byes given in Toyko

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
A lot of people do not like the performance byes: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/te...ee3dea315ca4&ocid=winp2fptaskbar&ei=3#image=1

The WTA shouldn't be tinkering with the rules this late in the season. If they want to experiment with performance byes, then fine, do it at the beginning of the season when there isn't much at stake. This quote puts it best:

"So now the draw is based not on yearly performances but on your schedule? Imagine other sports like MLB doing this. ‘Cool you won your division this year, but the Wild card team is advancing to the LCS bc they played the other day'. Tennis can't get out of its own way," a fan argued.

Status
Not open for further replies.