WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Surfed by TC to catch Sakkari in Guadalajara! Who TF is this Arango girl? The baseball cap turned around backwards is quite ridiuclous enough on guys! I thought it was "Justine Bieber" except for the skirt! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :yawningface:
Could still be Justin Bieber… :popcorn

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just an update first qualifers announced for 2023 WTA Finals in Cancun.

Aryna Sabalenka has qualified for the 3rd consecutive season
Coco Gauff secures iner place in Mexico in singles and doubles with partner Jess Pegula
Iga Swiatek returns to the WTA Finals with 4 titles so far this season
Elena Rybakina makes history as first player from Kazakhstan to qualify in singles

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Dolehide took advantage and has reached the final.She is smart and knew that this was her chance to crack the top hundred.Townsend on the other hand fudged a great opportunity to gain points.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Dolehide took advantage and has reached the final.She is smart and knew that this was her chance to crack the top hundred.Townsend on the other hand fudged a great opportunity to gain points.
Yes just about to post Caroline's solid win over Kenin, this tournament has been full of surprises lol!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Since the format was introduced in 2009, Caroline Dolehide has become only the 2nd players ranked out the WTA Top 100 to reach a WTA1000 final after Svetlana Kuznetsova - Cincinnati 2019.Uncommon
Dolehide d Kenin 75 63 she awaits the winner of Sakkari - Garcia

• Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know what to make of Ons Jabeur's struggles anymore. Take away Wimbledon, and her results this year are not good (outside of Charleston). 11 of her 27 wins this year are from Wimbledon and Charleston. She's just 16-12 outside of them. It's clear Ons hasn't been fully healthy for most of this year, and I think it's taking a toll on her mentally.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Let's hope she wins because her losses are sometimes puzzling
Actually I thought after the USO she should have taken a break, she has always been a player I regard as 'mentally weak' just look at her stats, she gets to a SF or final and collapses. So far in her career she has 1 title so that is a telling stat in itself.Actually Caroline is a player who has a 'big game' she looks really fit to me, before she really needed to address her fitness, she is a player that has really taken her chances in this tournament and is in the final

Reactions: tossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Actually I thought after the USO she should have taken a break, she has always been a player I regard as 'mentally weak' just look at her stats, she gets to a SF or final and collapses. So far in her career she has 1 title so that is a telling stat in itself.Actually Caroline is a player who has a 'big game' she looks really fit to me, before she really needed to address her fitness, she is a player that has really taken her chances in this tournament and is in the final
I want Sakkari to win if it's up to me,but Dolehide is playing great tennis and might stun a passive Sakkari.If she plays one point at a time she might win.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I want Sakkari to win if it's up to me,but Dolehide is playing great tennis and might stun a passive Sakkari.If she plays one point at a time she might win.
To me Sakkari needs this win, for a lot of reasons, mostly for her mentality, she does makes some strange shot selections at times in matches, Caroline has played solid tennis all week and deserves her place in the final

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just quickly looking at 2 tournaments that begin on Monday 25th September,

WTA500 Toray Pan Pacific, Top 4 seeds are Swiatek, Pegula, Rybakina and Sakkari

WTA250 Ningbo Open in Tokyo where Ons Jabeur has received a wild card, Jabeur will now be the Top seed, Petra Kvitova is the second seed.

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Just quickly looking at 2 tournaments that begin on Monday 25th September,

WTA500 Toray Pan Pacific, Top 4 seeds are Swiatek, Pegula, Rybakina and Sakkari

WTA250 Ningbo Open in Tokyo where Ons Jabeur has received a wild card, Jabeur will now be the Top seed, Petra Kvitova is the second seed.
I think Ons needs to call it a day because she hasnt been playing well.I want Pegula to win Tokyo or Rybakina.

Reactions: tented and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Ons needs to call it a day because she hasnt been playing well.I want Pegula to win Tokyo or Rybakina.
Maybe Ons thinks if she enters a 'weaker tournament like a WTA250' she may find some form, lets face it she needs to win,
After the USO it will be interesting to see if Pegula can find some form after the USO, where I feel she entered too many tournaments, singles, doubles and mixed doubles, and when it mattered in singles she was as 'flat as a pancake'...hopefully Rybakina's shoulder has healed, she has the game for hard courts

Reactions: tossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Maybe Ons thinks if she enters a 'weaker tournament like a WTA250' she may find some form, lets face it she needs to win,
After the USO it will be interesting to see if Pegula can find some form after the USO, where I feel she entered too many tournaments, singles, doubles and mixed doubles, and when it mattered in singles she was as 'flat as a pancake'...hopefully Rybakina's shoulder has healed, she has the game for hard courts
Ons has to be penalized for seemingly throwing matches,and the way she played in San Diego and Mexico leaves a lot to get desired.She should stay home if she is not up to it.Rybakina kinda faded away during the hardcourts,and she was complaining a lot and that was an indication of fatigue.I just want to see competitive matches,not going through the motions s**t

Status
Not open for further replies.