WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Haha, we can't really be friends because I'm like the biggest Capriati defender ever. I'll always believe that she was more talented than Serena. I mean, old and out of shape Capriati's last win was against prime Serena. Capriati didn't have access to the nutrition/conditioning that Serena had. Not to mention, Capriati's team around her disintegrated as she was heading into her prime years.

I'm a Sampras fan, so I didn't really like Agassi, but I do respect his game.

I'm just hoping that Coco and Mirra stay healthy and available because this has the potential to be a 10+ year rivalry. Seles-Capriati should have been that in the 1990s, but circumstances happen and cut the rivalry short.
There's nothing wrong w/ being a JCap fan, but let's not live in some alternate reality where she is more talented than the GOAT. They aren't even equal athletically. Besides, take it straight from your idols mouth, Serena is still the best out there and the best I've ever played against (said Jennifer in 2015-16 to ESPN when Serena was chasing 22)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
If IF was a fifth..well you know the rest.. Jenny Capriati was a very good mover but she wasn't nowhere near the level of athletism that Serena had.. Serena's tennis IQ was astonishing and she was the ultimate competitor..as a matter of fact..the greatest Competitors I have seen in all of the known sports were Jordan, Kobe , Tiger and Serena.
The all time greats all have something in common that make them ATG's. They hate losing, period. They have a drive, determination and a competitive fire that is unmatched.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The WTA still has not made any commitment as to 'where' the end of year finals will be held
There are strong rumors that they might be going to Saudi Arabia, The Next Gen ATP Finals will be held in Saudi,
I guess at the end of the day it is all 'about the money, personally speaking with their views on woman I hope the WTA refuses, even Martina N said if she was still playing tennis she would refuse to play there
Last year the WTA didnt have the time to promote the end of year finals at Fort Worth Texas
I hope this year they do not make the same mistake!

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The WTA still has not made any commitment as to 'where' the end of year finals will be held
There are strong rumors that they might be going to Saudi Arabia, The Next Gen ATP Finals will be held in Saudi,
I guess at the end of the day it is all 'about the money, personally speaking with their views on woman I hope the WTA refuses, even Martina N said if she was still playing tennis she would refuse to play there
Last year the WTA didnt have the time to promote the end of year finals at Fort Worth Texas
Come on back to ChiTown.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Results of SF in the "Tennis in the Land' tournament,

E. Alexandrova (4) d L.Zhu 75 62

S.Sorribes Tormo d T.Maria 64 63

Final,
Saturday 26th August,

E. Alexandrova (4) vs S.Sorribes Tormo

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Would they even be allowed to wear short skirts in Saudi Arabia? I’d be disappointed if they went to a country where women aren’t free, just to make some money..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Would they even be allowed to wear short skirts in Saudi Arabia? I’d be disappointed if they went to a country where women aren’t free, just to make some money..
Agree Kieran, also there are gay woman who play in the WTA? which Saudi Arabia do not condone, personally I hope the WTA do not go to Saudi Arabia to play, regardless of money, it is about woman being able to make choices and as you said 'able to be free' it would be like going back to the 'dark ages'.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Agree Kieran, also there are gay woman who play in the WTA? which Saudi Arabia do not condone, personally I hope the WTA do not go to Saudi Arabia to play, regardless of money, it is about woman being able to make choices and as you said 'able to be free' it would be like going back to the 'dark ages'.
The Saudis will get very aggressive with this stuff, in using their financial leverage. The men don’t need the money and Scottish have opened the door even a smidge. The women’s tour is less stable and I hope they find a good place that appreciates what they do. There’s plenty of cities in America or Europe would house them in the meantime, or South America?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Saudis will get very aggressive with this stuff, in using their financial leverage. The men don’t need the money and Scottish have opened the door even a smidge. The women’s tour is less stable and I hope they find a good place that appreciates what they do. There’s plenty of cities in America or Europe would house them in the meantime, or South America?
Well this have been a lot of interest from Prague? though again that could upset other European countries, apparently what I have read, Prague has put in a bid
as strong as Saudi has, seeing the WTA has decided to go back to China this year after holding back, in regards to the safety of Peng Shaui, personally speaking I would prefer if they held the end of the year finals in China, though the WTA need to commit ASAP

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA CEO Steve Simon on Saudi staging the finals,

" We have not made any decisions yet on this. As will all decisions regarding future of the WTA, we are working closely with players and focused on continuing to build a strong future for women's tennis".

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
What's the difference between someone who qualifies for a tournament or gets added as the .Lucky Loser ? Who gets placed in the tournament brackets at the better tournament position. I guess it's better to be the lucky loser instead of the "lonesome Loser" jajaja

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What's the difference between someone who qualifies for a tournament or gets added as the .Lucky Loser ? Who gets placed in the tournament brackets at the better tournament position. I guess it's better to be the lucky loser instead of the "lonesome Loser" jajaja
A LL is a player who loses in qualifying rounds but later given passage into the main draw, usually following a player has to withdraw due to injury/illness
A qualifer has played matches in qualifying and won, earned a spot via qualifying into a main touranment

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
A LL is a player who loses in qualifying rounds but later given passage into the main draw, usually following a player has to withdraw due to injury/illness
A qualifer has played matches in qualifying and won, earned a spot via qualifying into a main touranment
Thanks for explaining that to @the AntiPusher . In addition AP, the qualifiers have to win 3 matches to earn their spot in a major. AS MM said, LL are players who won 2 qualifying matches but lost the 3rd one. These players hang around the start of a major to see if someone will withdraw before playing R1. If a player withdraws before playing their first match, the tourney goes back to all the players who lost in the final round of qualies. They basically pull names from a hat and inserts that player in the withdrawn spot (why it's called Lucky Loser). They lost in qualies but were chosen and awarded (lucky) an opportunity to play in the main draw.

Sometimes, the LL's won't hang around if a smaller tourney or a challenger is starting up. Sometimes they prefer to travel to the other tourney. If that happens and their name is called to replace a withdrawal, the tourney will ask if they are still on the premises. If they aren't, they concede their spot and the officials pull another name from the hat.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
They should go back to Instanbul,the fans over there really enjoy tennis.
Agreed. Either Istanbul or Mexico. The finals in Guadalajara were very popular and well attended. Much better than that farce in Dallas. I don't know, they may be concerned about fans safety in certain parts of Mexico. But there are other places to go before they sign a deal w/ the Saudi Devil.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to Sara Sorribes Tormo who won the final "Tennis in the Land" tournament, ( though I cant stand her grunting lol) coming back from a set down to defeat 4th seed E.Alexandrova 36 64 64,
BTW Sara was a LL and to her credit came through the tournament and won the title!

Congratulations to Viktoriya Tomora who won her first WTA title at the Chicago Women's Open final defeating C. Liu 61 64!

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Maybe Stacey might give Genie the LL spot.Bouchard was involved in a tiff with Yemstreka whatever her name is,who didn't shake Genie s hand at the net.This no handshake bs is getting out of hand,and Simon must grow a pair and stop this nonsense

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe Stacey might give Genie the LL spot.Bouchard was involved in a tiff with Yemstreka whatever her name is,who didn't shake Genie s hand at the net.This no handshake bs is getting out of hand,and Simon must grow a pair and stop this nonsense
I saw ' the non hand shake on video' yesterday, these woman need to get some 'chill pills' and concentrate on tennis or Steve Simon needs to address this, though to me he is as 'weak as water'

• Haha
Reactions: tossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I saw ' the non hand shake on video' yesterday, these woman need to get some 'chill pills' and concentrate on tennis or Steve Simon needs to address this, though to me he is as 'weak as water'
He is and these Ukrainians are milking this no shaking hands issue to ridiculous levels.He must stop this nonsense,and I like that Genie doesn't care about dem like that.She is saying what everyone wants to say about this fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.