WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks for explaining that to @the AntiPusher . In addition AP, the qualifiers have to win 3 matches to earn their spot in a major. AS MM said, LL are players who won 2 qualifying matches but lost the 3rd one. These players hang around the start of a major to see if someone will withdraw before playing R1. If a player withdraws before playing their first match, the tourney goes back to all the players who lost in the final round of qualies. They basically pull names from a hat and inserts that player in the withdrawn spot (why it's called Lucky Loser). They lost in qualies but were chosen and awarded (lucky) an opportunity to play in the main draw.

Sometimes, the LL's won't hang around if a smaller tourney or a challenger is starting up. Sometimes they prefer to travel to the other tourney. If that happens and their name is called to replace a withdrawal, the tourney will ask if they are still on the premises. If they aren't, they concede their spot and the officials pull another name from the hat.
Thanks Keli and MM, so it appears it's better to qualify obviously than being the LL

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Just saw Sakkari crying,it really must be heartbreaking for her and team.I really felt for her...just hope she takes the rest of the year off to reflect,recharge,retool and revamp her coaching team then come back in 2024 ready to go.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just saw Sakkari crying,it really must be heartbreaking for her and team.I really felt for her...just hope she takes the rest of the year off to reflect,recharge,retool and revamp her coaching team then come back in 2024 ready to go.
I agree Tossip, she said she cant make a clear decision on court, time for a break from tennis and recharge for next year, I mean it is nearly September and only a few more months till the end of the season

• Sad
Reactions: tossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I agree Tossip, she said she cant make a clear decision on court, time for a break from tennis and recharge for next year, I mean it is nearly September and only a few more months till the end of the season
The interview is heartbreaking and she seemed to have hit a wall.She better take a holiday by herself and do some soul searching.I think it's her mind that's getting in the way.She needs go to that retreat where you don't talk and it's just meditation and reflection.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Interesting discussion of where the WTA finals will be held, focussing particularly on Saudi Arabia.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Elina Svitolina has decided to take a break from professional tennis so she can focus on other area's of her life. Elina revealed some fitness issues and injury concerns that cause her problems at Flushing Meadows, she did not indicate how long a break she was taking from tennis on her twitter page

• Sad
Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just some updated news regarding Angie Kerber,
Angie Kerber is working with her ex coach Torben Beltz to prepare for a January 2024 comeback to the WTA Tour. The former No 1, who gave birth to a baby girl, Liana in February this year, plans to play 2 tournaments before entering the AO in 2024 which she won in 2016

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Bianca Andresscu has withdrawn from the San Diego tournament which starts in 2 days ( ongoing back injury)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
New WTA Top 10 Monday 11th September,

1. Sabalenka (+1)
2. Swiatek (-1)
3. Gauff (+3)
4. Rybakina
5. Pegula (-2)
6. Vondrousova ( +3)
7. Jabeur (-2)
8. Muchova (+2)
9. Sakkari (-1)
10 Garcia (-3)

New Career Highs on WTA Top 100
1. Sabalenka
3. Gauff
6. Vondrousova
8. Muchova
33. Paolini
39. Wang Xin
44. Stearns
50 Boutler
57 Andreeva
61 Avanesyan
65 Masarova
67 Frech
83 Shaider
85 Burrage.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA Race to Cancun after the USO
1. Sabalenka
2. Swiatek
3. Gauff
4. Rybakina
5. Pegula
6 Vondrousova
7. Muchova
8. Jabeur

I will post the Doubles race to Cancun after the Ladies Doubles Final at the USO on Sunday 10th September

Status
Not open for further replies.