WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Mirra Andreeva 16 year old, just qualified for Wimbledon. She is the youngest player to qualify since Coco Gauff in 2019
She is being shoved down our throats,and a tad annoying.I won't be surprised to see her playing Venus in the first round.The powers that be want her to be the next big thing from Russia like pova.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
She is being shoved down our throats,and a tad annoying.I won't be surprised to see her playing Venus in the first round.The powers that be want her to be the next big thing from Russia like pova.
She is talented, though she has a long way to go for a 16 year old, you know media loves to carry on when a youngster gets a few wins, dont worry she will be brought back down to earth soon :)

• Haha
Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Another retirement, Garcia retires in her match against Kastakina 62 2-1 2nd set Eastbourne,, Kastakina will play the winner of Ostpenko and Giorgi

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
She is talented, though she has a long way to go for a 16 year old, you know media loves to carry on when a youngster gets a few wins, dont worry she will be brought back down to earth soon :)
I am not worried,it's just that Tennis Channel goes over the top with this little girl especially Prakash.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I am not worried,it's just that Tennis Channel goes over the top with this little girl especially Prakash.
who gives a flying fart what Prakash thinks. He is a wannabe w/ a mic that likes sucking up to the star players, period.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Think you like this

Not a surprise. When she played the legends doubs at RG I thought she looked really good for someone who's pushed out 2 bambino's. Glad she's coming back. I think the same will happen w/ Ash. She retired so young that I can see her coming back in a few years once her kids aren't babies.

Reactions: tossip

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Serena not getting #24 and #25 is more bad luck than anything. Many times, she just ran into the hot player, like Naomi Osaka and Bianca Andreescu. Other times, it was injuries like the 2020 French Open. That's just part of the game, nothing you can really do about those.

That said, the one I'm really angry about is 2019 Wimbledon. Simona cheated, won, and it caused a trickle down effect. It cost Serena the traditional opening slot that is given to the defending champion at 2021 Wimbledon (it went to Ash Barty), which caused her to play in the slippery conditions that contributed to her injury. Serena had a forgettable ending to her career, while Barty ended her career on a high note, winning 2021 Wimbledon and the 2022 AO. I know nothing is guaranteed, but I wonder what if Serena (rightfully) got the traditional champion's opening slot, and Barty had to play in the conditions Serena played in that day.

Makes me mad knowing that if not for Simona's cheating, Serena would have won the 24th slam at 2019 Wimbledon, and possibly 25 or even 26.
Not really. Serena has only herself to blame. She had numerous opportunities when she was trying to get 18, 22 and 24. She failed miserably on those occasions letting herself be outplayed by the likes of Kerbie, Mugu, Simo, Pliskobot, Vika, Naomi, Bebe and let's not forget that monumental choke at the USO against a nobody when attempting to complete the calendar slam. She used to be a player that turned it on in the SF and especially the Final of a major.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco doesn't really defeat herself. Most of the time when she loses, it's to someone just playing at a higher level.
Please take off your Coco sunglasses lol! Coco defeats her self many times when she commits too many UFE on her fhand for starters, plays too tentative and her serve goes missing, considering she just had her first Top5 win since Doha 2022? that tells a big story on all surfaces mind you and her first Top 10 win since August ( lost her last top ten matches in straight sets)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a really good match between Ostapenko and Giorgi 4 all 1st set
Also on a court without hawk eye, Jelena comes into her own lol!

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jess Pegula has withdrawn from her doubles match. meaning Krawczyk/Schuurs advance to the womens doubles final at Eastbourne
The reason Jess withdrew was a back problem

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
TB for the 1st set in the match between Osta and Camila this is one of the best matches on grass today, in either Bad Homburg or Eastbourne
Oh Osta asked for the doctor before the TB, she looks sick,
Giorgi wins the TB 76(8) in a battle of a t/breaks, closely fought by both players

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ostapenko retires she did look sick, Giorgi wins by retirement 76(8), I must add Osta has been playing a lot of tennis lately, singles and doubles, maybe this has caught up with her, maybe she should not have entered Eastbourne and had a break before Wimbledon

I must admit I had some query's about Swiatek on grass, though so far she has looked good on the grass at Bad Homburg, advancing to the SFs, though in saying that on the faster grass surface, the low bouncing court dosent really suit her, and she dosent get the time to adjust her footwork as she does on the slower surfaces like Clay, her fhand wing can also come under attack, a player just has to hit hard and flat and they will get the error

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Tossip, I understand your points. I remember Chrissy was critical of Serena's commitment to the game when she had ONLY 13 or fewer GSs and wrote a great article in SI to advise her to go for it. Unlike a few folks I agreed with Chrissy and Serena's game took off like a lighting bolt ⚡. I really feel Chrissy was and still is very genuine. Heck, I am still pissed that Serena didn't take Billie Jean's advice to become a FT tennis player because #24 and #25 was still very achievable IMO.
I'm no fan of Evert, but even I didn't think anything of it! Any critique would be taken as suspect! It's unfortunate we still have a long way to go! :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm no fan of Evert, but even I didn't think anything of it! Any critique would be taken as suspect! It's unfortunate we still have a long way to go! :)
I strongly suggest you watch Coco and her western grip on her fhand before making such Stupid Comments, seeing you dont even watch the current womens game LOL! Chris Evert isnt the only one to come out and suggest Coco needs to adjust her backswing shorter on her fhand, Martina N and also Tracy Ausitn I suppose those 2 are also stupid! I agree with Evert comments, I have been saying that for ages that the main problem is the western grip on Coco's fhand and has to adjust it, she makes too many UFE on it, and at this level it is unacceptable
This is Constructive Comments by the way

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Not really. Serena has only herself to blame. She had numerous opportunities when she was trying to get 18, 22 and 24. She failed miserably on those occasions letting herself be outplayed by the likes of Kerbie, Mugu, Simo, Pliskobot, Vika, Naomi, Bebe and let's not forget that monumental choke at the USO against a nobody when attempting to complete the calendar slam. She used to be a player that turned it on in the SF and especially the Final of a major.

It's the main reason it was impossible to get on the Williams' train! They really weren't as committed while winning! The outside interests slowly took over a lot of their time! How many times did we hear at the AO; "Serena's playing her way into shape!!?" She had a lot more opportunities to put the major's lead ouf of reach, but a phenom might upset her or she didn't take her opponent seriously! I'm still SMH over how Halep wiped her out in 2019 Wimbledon final! No other past champions would think of being "part time" in their prime! :fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It's the main reason it was impossible to get on the Williams' train! They really weren't as committed while winning! The outside interests slowly took over a lot of their time! How many times did we hear at the AO; "Serena's playing her way into shape!!?" She had a lot more opportunities to put the major's lead ouf of reach, but a phenom might upset her or she didn't take her opponent seriously! I'm still SMH over how Halep wiped her out in 2019! No other past champions would think of being "part time" in their prime! :fearful-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:

When the Williams sisters get mentioned in a post, you cant help yourself can you, taking a swipe at them, right on cue LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.