WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I wish they would just move Indian Wells to October and call it a day, instead of having a 10th Masters. It would relieve the hectic schedule of February and March, and provide a break in the schedule between Dubai/Doha and Miami.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
No way that goofy Dr Brown is Camila Giorgi father. Camila is going to continue to be a gorgeous woman for the next 20 years of her young life

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
One thing is certain Ons Jabeur cannot play in the wind! with all her weapons as well, losing 63 62 to Camila
Jabeur seems to be slumping,and with all those points she has to defend.There might be a big drop in ranking after US Open.I don't want to see her losing in these finals over and over again.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jabeur seems to be slumping,and with all those points she has to defend.There might be a big drop in ranking after US Open.I don't want to see her losing in these finals over and over again.
Grass is normally her best surface as well, she has battled injury this year, hopefully she will be okay for Wimbledon, in her match against Camila, windy conditions, she just could not find her game at all

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Welp the good news in her house is she doesn't have to defend finalist points from Wimby as they didn't grant any last year. That USO final will tell the tale.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
My LORD Bogdan is the new "THE BODY " in her tennis dress ! Very nice body lucky hubby

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Results from Bad Homburg Wednesday 28th June,

K. Siniakova d E. Rodina 62 64
L. Bronzetti d M. Sherif (4) 16 76(2) 63
I. Swiatek (1) d J. Teichmann 63 61
A. Blinkova (9) d L. Fernandez 75 72

Rothesay International results matches Wednesday 28th June,

C. Gauff (5) d J. Burrage 61 61
J. Ostapenko d H. Dart 63 64
C. Garcia ( WC2) d A. Brogan 63 64
D. Kastakina (9) d K. Pliskova 36 63 63
C. Girogi d O. Jabeur 63 62
P. Martic wins by retirement over Beatriz Haddad Maia 64 32.....as I posted on the Womens Wimbledon post, Haddad Maia has withdrawn from Wimbledon, not surprised as her leg injury from RG has not healed 100%.
M. Keys d X. Wang 62 76(3)

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
QFs at Bad Homburg
Thursday 29th June,

V. Gracheva vs L. Bronzetti
E. Navarro vs R.Masarova
I. Swiatek (1) vs A.Blinkova (9)
L. Samsonova (2) vs K. Siniakova

QFs at Rothesay Tournament, Eastbourne,
Thirsday 29th June,

J. Pegula (3) vs C. Gauff (5)
C. Garcia (WC 2) vs D. Kasatkina (9)
M. Keys vs P.Martic
J. Ostapenko vs C. Giorgi Popcorn Match!

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Results from Bad Homburg Wednesday 28th June,

K. Siniakova d E. Rodina 62 64
L. Bronzetti d M. Sherif (4) 16 76(2) 63
I. Swiatek (1) d J. Teichmann 63 61
A. Blinkova (9) d L. Fernandez 75 72

Rothesay International results matches Wednesday 28th June,

C. Gauff (5) d J. Burrage 61 61
J. Ostapenko d H. Dart 63 64
C. Garcia ( WC2) d A. Brogan 63 64
D. Kastakina (9) d K. Pliskova 36 63 63
C. Girogi d O. Jabeur 63 62
P. Martic wins by retirement over Beatriz Haddad Maia 64 32.....as I posted on the Womens Wimbledon post, Haddad Maia has withdrawn from Wimbledon, not surprised as her leg injury from RG has not healed 100%.
M. Keys d X. Wang 62 76(3)
When was Haddad Maia injured?I hope it's not another drugging ban.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
When was Haddad Maia injured?I hope it's not another drugging ban.
She injured her leg at RG this year, she had withdrawn from 2 earlier grass tournaments, and tried to play today at Eastbourne but had to retire against Petra Martic

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Christ Evert HasTwo Fixes For Coco Gauff's Forehand

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

At least Chrissy and I are on the same page with Coco and how to fix her fhand, I have been saying she needs to do something about her western grip on her fhand, shorter back swing, at present she is taking too far back on her swing. Good points Chrissy

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
At least Chrissy and I are on the same page with Coco and how to fix her fhand, I have been saying she needs to do something about her western grip on her fhand, shorter back swing, at present she is taking too far back on her swing. Good points Chrissy
Interesting that everyone is talking about the grip. I was listening to Jimmy Arias as he was covering her match yesterday. He said that the issue is actually her footwork. She doesn't produce the necessary footwork to put her in position to successfully execute that shot w/ the extreme grip she is using.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting that everyone is talking about the grip. I was listening to Jimmy Arias as he was covering her match yesterday. He said that the issue is actually her footwork. She doesn't produce the necessary footwork to put her in position to successfully execute that shot w/ the extreme grip she is using.
I have said at times she appears to be late on her fhand wing, I can see Arias point of view, though she is a good athlete and she should be able to arrive on her fhand wing with time to execute her shot,I still feel she has to shorten her swing on her fhand for starters,

Reactions: kskate2

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Chrissy always finds it easy to critique players like Coco,Serena and Venus as if they need her help.They will find their own way to success without her help.She wrote an essay on Serena and ended up falling on her Juverdem face.Leave Coco alone,she will find her own way to success,why is she not dogging players like Colleen Wanderweghe or many others who never reached top ten .Why are they not coaching Lauren Davis or Rogers who never reached top ten or Tracy Austin son who was knocked out in qualies.The only people that can help Coco improve her forehand are Venus and Serena,these two are good at shutting out the noise.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Chrissy always finds it easy to critique players like Coco,Serena and Venus as if they need her help.They will find their own way to success without her help.She wrote an essay on Serena and ended up falling on her Juverdem face.Leave Coco alone,she will find her own way to success,why is she not dogging players like Colleen Wanderweghe or many others who never reached top ten .Why are they not coaching Lauren Davis or Rogers who never reached top ten or Tracy Austin son who was knocked out in qualies.The only people that can help Coco improve her forehand are Venus and Serena,these two are good at shutting out the noise.
Well I have said for ages, Coco's western grip on her fhand is causing errors, if you notice when she arrives on her fhand she takes a bigger back swing that is needed, other tennis journalists have said the same thing, if she took a shorter back swing she would not have the problems that she is having, all the players target her fhand it is her weakest shot, she produces too many ufe period, I have to agree with Aries, as Kskate pointed out she arrives too late on her fhand that is a problem with her footwork, she is a good athlete and should have the right amount of time to play her shot, when late on her fhand she swipes at the ball, which is technically incorrect, having to take a bigger back swing that is necessary.I dont think Chrissy is being unfair, she is giving constructive points, she like others are just pointing out a fact, as a player you have to improve all the time, if you have a weak shot, that is an area you need to work on, Coco is young and has the time to improve the weakness's in her game, at present it is her fhand.Tracy Austin and Martina N have said the same thing, I think we can take their advice on board, like Chris Evert., who I totally agree with., with the problems on Coco's fhand., presently. Evert also praised Coco for her net play, her serve has improved... If I was Coco's coach I would get her to practice foot drills for starters on her fhand wing, I had a weak bhand and my coach made me have drills all the time on my bhand, till I was blue in the face, I hated it, at the end of the day, it worked and I didnt have to run around my bhand any more..

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The critique of Coco is borderline suspect,let her evolve at her own pace without the likes of Evert hovering over her.She doesn't need seniors like that
over analyzing her game and she is
top ten and has beaten lots of players older than her.One day I was listening to
Arias and another guy calling a Serena match.He was criticizing Serena on everything like wth.I think Anarcone had to correct him several times.I remember at one time Cahill saying that Venus was cheating for playing in grasscourt shoes at RG and wanted to report her,until they zoomed in only to find out she was wearing proper shoes.They just want to harp on a kid because they cannot find anything to blame on her character or reputation.Shame on you nonna Evert.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.