WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Christ Evert HasTwo Fixes For Coco Gauff's Forehand

Remember my suggestions were similar about Madison's FH.. shortening of the backswing

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Chrissy always finds it easy to critique players like Coco,Serena and Venus as if they need her help.They will find their own way to success without her help.She wrote an essay on Serena and ended up falling on her Juverdem face.Leave Coco alone,she will find her own way to success,why is she not dogging players like Colleen Wanderweghe or many others who never reached top ten .Why are they not coaching Lauren Davis or Rogers who never reached top ten or Tracy Austin son who was knocked out in qualies.The only people that can help Coco improve her forehand are Venus and Serena,these two are good at shutting out the noise.
Tossip, I understand your points. I remember Chrissy was critical of Serena's commitment to the game when she had ONLY 13 or fewer GSs and wrote a great article in SI to advise her to go for it. Unlike a few folks I agreed with Chrissy and Serena's game took off like a lighting bolt ⚡. I really feel Chrissy was and still is very genuine. Heck, I am still pissed that Serena didn't take Billie Jean's advice to become a FT tennis player because #24 and #25 was still very achievable IMO.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
QFs at Bad Homburg
Thursday 29th June,

V. Gracheva vs L. Bronzetti
E. Navarro vs R.Masarova
I. Swiatek (1) vs A.Blinkova (9)
L. Samsonova (2) vs K. Siniakova

QFs at Rothesay Tournament, Eastbourne,
Thirsday 29th June,

J. Pegula (3) vs C. Gauff (5)
C. Garcia (WC 2) vs D. Kasatkina (9)
M. Keys vs P.Martic
J. Ostapenko vs C. Giorgi Popcorn Match!
Keys suppose to be a big favorite over PM today..well we shall see

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
My man Nuni makes a simple coin flip fun. He just asked Jess if she was sure which side of the coin she wanted to select. Jajaja

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tossip, I understand your points. I remember Chrissy was critical of Serena's commitment to the game when she had ONLY 13 or fewer GSs and wrote a great article in SI to advise her to go for it. Unlike a few folks I agreed with Chrissy and Serena's game took off like a lighting bolt ⚡. I really feel Chrissy was and still is very genuine. Heck, I am still pissed that Serena didn't take Billie Jean's advice to become a FT tennis player because #24 and #25 was still very achievable IMO.
I remember the essay ,and what she didn't know was that Serena was dealing with depression after losing her sister.She seem to like to give unsolicited advice to the sisters.Coco should ignore her like Vee and Serena used to do.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Serena not getting #24 and #25 is more bad luck than anything. Many times, she just ran into the hot player, like Naomi Osaka and Bianca Andreescu. Other times, it was injuries like the 2020 French Open. That's just part of the game, nothing you can really do about those.

That said, the one I'm really angry about is 2019 Wimbledon. Simona cheated, won, and it caused a trickle down effect. It cost Serena the traditional opening slot that is given to the defending champion at 2021 Wimbledon (it went to Ash Barty), which caused her to play in the slippery conditions that contributed to her injury. Serena had a forgettable ending to her career, while Barty ended her career on a high note, winning 2021 Wimbledon and the 2022 AO. I know nothing is guaranteed, but I wonder what if Serena (rightfully) got the traditional champion's opening slot, and Barty had to play in the conditions Serena played in that day.

Makes me mad knowing that if not for Simona's cheating, Serena would have won the 24th slam at 2019 Wimbledon, and possibly 25 or even 26.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Think you like this

Hoergren,

I feel Carolina's return, which I am not surprised, as I saw her practicing via Twitter a few times, could be a boost for women's tennis in what is still a 'transitional era'. The more familiar names competing, the more viewers will be tuning in. BTW USO has already granted Caroline a WC to play this year.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco will play Madison Keys next after defeating Pegula 63 63 in the SFs
BTW this was Coco's first Top 5 win since Doha 2022!

Reactions: the AntiPusher

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena not getting #24 and #25 is more bad luck than anything. Many times, she just ran into the hot player, like Naomi Osaka and Bianca Andreescu. Other times, it was injuries like the 2020 French Open. That's just part of the game, nothing you can really do about those.

That said, the one I'm really angry about is 2019 Wimbledon. Simona cheated, won, and it caused a trickle down effect. It cost Serena the traditional opening slot that is given to the defending champion at 2021 Wimbledon (it went to Ash Barty), which caused her to play in the slippery conditions that contributed to her injury. Serena had a forgettable ending to her career, while Barty ended her career on a high note, winning 2021 Wimbledon and the 2022 AO. I know nothing is guaranteed, but I wonder what if Serena (rightfully) got the traditional champion's opening slot, and Barty had to play in the conditions Serena played in that day.

Makes me mad knowing that if not for Simona's cheating, Serena would have won the 24th slam at 2019 Wimbledon, and possibly 25 or even 26.
Simona was probably high on that cocktail she was allegedly on.

• Haha
Reactions: PhiEaglesfan712

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm so happy I'm not working tomorrow, so I can watch the Coco match. It looks like the early returns are coming with Pere Riba, and I like her chances at Wimbledon.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm so happy I'm not working tomorrow, so I can watch the Coco match. It looks like the early returns are coming with Pere Riba, and I like her chances at Wimbledon.
Hold your horses regarding Coco's chances at Wimbledon this was her first Top 5 win since Doha 2022? still a long way to go,

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I wish Tsistipas and Paula Badosa would stay off Twitter, declaring their love for on another, it is getting to the point, where is it now Laughable!

• Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mirra Andreeva 16 year old, just qualified for Wimbledon. She is the youngest player to qualify since Coco Gauff in 2019

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am going cross eyed watching 2 tournaments at once :)

Bad luck for Rebeka Masarova who has played great tennis all week at Bad Homburg, had a bad fall, I hate the grass when it is this slippery, and has had to retire in her match against American Emma Navarro, Navarro wins by retirement 67(2) 1 all 2nd set. I hope Masarova will be okay for Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.