WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Impressive win from Sabalenka over Krejcikova 62 63, who is a talented player especially on clay

Saba was asked if she has fear on the tennis court?
"Yes, I do have actually.I have fear of double faults"..........................:)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh my Ostapenko 'is feeling it' she just gave Jabeur a breadstick in the 1st set 61, Jelena said yesterday clay is her favorite surface and is looking forward to the clay season
Lets see if Ons has a answer in the 2nd set

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Welp, she found the answer. Broke when Osta was serving for the match at 5-4 and then took the next 2 games to win the 2nd set. In a decider now on serve 3-2 Ons

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Welp, she found the answer. Broke when Osta was serving for the match at 5-4 and then took the next 2 games to win the 2nd set. In a decider now on serve 3-2 Ons
How many tines have we seen Ostap go off the rails? Ons can absorb big hitters and with her variety has tamed the Big Hitter I go for Broke at all costs Osta lol!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Belinda Bencic who withdrew from Stuttgart, will also miss Madrid and Rome due to a hip injury. Belinda hope to make a complete recovery and return to action in time for Roland Garos

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Stuttgart WTA500,
Matches, Wednesday April 19,

Karolina Pliskova vs Donna Vekic
Coco Gauff (5) vs Anastasia Potapova
Iga Swiatek (1) vs Zheng Qinwen
Caroline Garcia (4) vs Tatjana Maria WC
Elena Rybalina (6) vs Beatriz Haddad Maia

Interested to see the form of Iga, who has not played since IW, she has won her previous 2 matches against Zheng, though both times their matches went 3 sets.
Caroline has gone back to her previous coach from last year, where she had a strong Summer and won the WTA finals, interested to see how she performs on the clay

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Coco is getting stomped by Pova 2.0. :slap: She said she learned from the Miami match that she needs to stay aggressive and not get tentative. Welp, she was tentative yesterday w/ over 50+ errors. Doing the same thing today and the errors are just tumbling off her stick again.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
What this loss means: Coco Gauff's world ranking will drop to 7 if Rybakina wins at least 2 matches. Otherwise, Gauff's world ranking will remain at 6.

Reactions: tossip and Fiero425

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
What this loss means: Coco Gauff's world ranking will drop to 7 if Rybakina wins at least 2 matches. Otherwise, Gauff's world ranking will remain at 6.
PE712 @PhiEaglesfan712 you get very sensitive whenever someone makes a comment about CoCo's lack of progression. I think you need to listen to @kskate2 @tossip @MargaretMcAleer and others have been spot on with their analysis and comments.

Reactions: tossip and Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
PE712 @PhiEaglesfan712 you get very sensitive whenever someone makes a comment about CoCo's lack of progression. I think you need to listen to @kskate2 @tossip @MargaretMcAleer and others have been spot on with their analysis and comments.

I don't pay much attention to women's tennis of late, hardly able to pronounce their names! Gauf's too hard to follow! It can get ugly real quick! :facepalm:

• Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco is getting stomped by Pova 2.0. :slap: She said she learned from the Miami match that she needs to stay aggressive and not get tentative. Welp, she was tentative yesterday w/ over 50+ errors. Doing the same thing today and the errors are just tumbling off her stick again.
After her match with Kudermetova are we all not surprised at her loss today, on clay she has to be able to turn defense into offense, not just defend all the time., 38 FH errors? 14 BH errors, She needs a Coach ASAP not her father, of course I am being a 'broken record' when I say this,to take her game to the next level, or she will remain at this level, and big, aggressive hitters will continue to blast her off the court.This is the second time this year Pova has beaten her btw.
With her current game there is 'no way in hell' Coco will be able to defend her finalist points at RG this year, there are too many players with better equipped games on clay at present that can defeat her.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Paula Badosa made quick work of C.Bucsa 61 62
Iga Swiatek d Zheng 61 64 in her first match back since IW.
Karolina Pliskova with a welcome win against Vekic 26 76(5) 76(5), posted 15 Aces in her win today

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Coco seems to be spreading herself thin.She has to reduce her doubles play because it takes away from her singles.I am sure she has improved her volleys and net play because of the doubles.Its time to focus on singles.She needs an experienced coach who can create a plan of action for her.Her loss today was partly to scheduling and her opponent was rested.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco seems to be spreading herself thin.She has to reduce her doubles play because it takes away from her singles.I am sure she has improved her volleys and net play because of the doubles.Its time to focus on singles.She needs an experienced coach who can create a plan of action for her.Her loss today was partly to scheduling and her opponent was rested.
Tossip
I agree with your comment 'Coco needs an experienced coach' I and others have been saying that for sometime.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
It's not all about the ranking. As she fixes these holes in her game, she'll play better thus winning more matches. Winning breeds winning and the ranking will take care of itself. The reality is, she should not be dropping matches to most of these players ranked lower than her. She's in the top 10, meaning that if she gets knocked out, it should be in the QF's or higher by someone in the top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.