WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Garbine Muguruza, who is already taking much of the summer off tennis, has split with her coach Conchita Martinez, ( this isnt the first time the pair have split up and they did get back together again)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Garbine Muguruza, who is already taking much of the summer off tennis, has split with her coach Conchita Martinez, ( this isnt the first time the pair have split up and they did get back together again)
She doesn't want to keep her on the payroll if she's seriously considering not coming back. Besides, apparently she needs that $$ to supplement her night life

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
She doesn't want to keep her on the payroll if she's seriously considering not coming back. Besides, apparently she needs that $$ to supplement her night life
Clearly I'm behind on the gossip, but is it really that she prefers partying to playing tennis?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Clearly I'm behind on the gossip, but is it really that she prefers partying to playing tennis?
I think her actions speak for themselves. She's not injured, sick or preggers. So what is she really doing in what should be the prime of her career?

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Explain a WTA night life ?
I don't know how to explain it, but Jennifer Capriati from late 1993-1995 is probably the best example. Martina Hingis in 2003 is another good example. It's that time period in a WTA player's career when she is burnt out and experiments with life outside of tennis. They usually tend to come back from their experimentation period after a couple of years, so I expect Garbine to resurface on the WTA in 2025.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The WTA will bring events back to China this year in September,, including the WTA Finals,
Steve Simon,
"The stance we took was appropriate and we stand by that. But 16 months into this, we're convinced our requests won't be met. To continue with the same strategy doesn't make sense".

tented

Administrator
Reactions
The WTA will bring events back to China this year in September,, including the WTA Finals,
Steve Simon,
"The stance we took was appropriate and we stand by that. But 16 months into this, we're convinced our requests won't be met. To continue with the same strategy doesn't make sense".
Jon Wertheim’s reaction to this decision:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I assume it comes down to money, main reason that the WTA are returning to China
From the article:

Without the revenue from China, the WTA has struggled financially. Last month, it announced it had completed a deal that essentially sold off 20% of its equity to an investor for $150 million. Sources tell SI that Simon had hoped to “stick to his guns” but relented in the face of board and financial pressure. “This was an organizational decision,” he says. “It came from discussions and feedback with the members, which are both tournaments and players.”

That money talks is no news flash. Neither is the reality that confronting China is an act undertaken at one’s own peril. Simon and the WTA took their stance, and pledged principles over profit, but the bill has clearly become due. As the statement obtained by SI puts it: “We received much praise for our principled stand and believe we sent a powerful message to the world. But praise alone is insufficient to bring about change.”

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
From the article:

Without the revenue from China, the WTA has struggled financially. Last month, it announced it had completed a deal that essentially sold off 20% of its equity to an investor for $150 million. Sources tell SI that Simon had hoped to “stick to his guns” but relented in the face of board and financial pressure. “This was an organizational decision,” he says. “It came from discussions and feedback with the members, which are both tournaments and players.”

That money talks is no news flash. Neither is the reality that confronting China is an act undertaken at one’s own peril. Simon and the WTA took their stance, and pledged principles over profit, but the bill has clearly become due. As the statement obtained by SI puts it: “We received much praise for our principled stand and believe we sent a powerful message to the world. But praise alone is insufficient to bring about change.”

Figures! It's all about the money for the WTA! Oh well! What else can be said? Figure Skating shut down their 2 Grand Prix events in Russia & China! Hopefully they'll keep their integrity! :yawningface: :fearful-face::thinking-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't know how to explain it, but Jennifer Capriati from late 1993-1995 is probably the best example. Martina Hingis in 2003 is another good example. It's that time period in a WTA player's career when she is burnt out and experiments with life outside of tennis. They usually tend to come back from their experimentation period after a couple of years, so I expect Garbine to resurface on the WTA in 2025.
Please dont make me laugh
Have anyone of you watched Garbines matches in the last 2 years
She has gone out in the 1st round of most of her matches?
You cannot compare Gabriati, that was a different era to begin with. at present the WTA has soo much depth
So Garbine is going to magically going to find her game in 2025? LOL!
Garbine has taken time off the tour , with mental issues, the game today is 80% mental, she has broken up with her coach again, party time is now her present interest
So given her ranking she will have to play qualifers? can you really see her doing that? her current ranking is #132
When her game went to the dogs, she should have played lower tournaments, for confidence building starters, and actually won some matches, she did not.
Lets wait and see if Garbine makes the tour in 2025, her game is poor, she needs to have a desire to get back on the court, at present she is in Party Mode.

• Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
From the article:

On a more serious note we still dont know, maybe we will never know, the safety of Peng Shaui? to me it is a big cover up, I still pray for her safety, 2nd November 2021, last time she was heard btw., we did see her at a tournament as a fan, though to me that was just staged, so all the questions of her whereabouts to the Chinese, from the WTA, again it was just a cover up to silence the WTA, Steve Simon has requested many times, a actual meeting with Shaui, again that did not happen.My theory she is under 'house arrest' with her family.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some encouraging news regarding Bianca Andreescu,

Bianca is in Vancouver, supporting her fellow Canadian teammates at the BJK Cup Qualifer,
Bianca is expected to practice this week and play on the clay in Madrid in just under 2 weeks. ( I only hope she is not returning too soon).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The draw for WTA500 Stuttgart will be held Sunday 16th April at 1pm,
Iga Swiatek is the defending champion,
Sixteen of the Top 20 are set to play, including nine out of the Top 10.
Main draw starts Monday 17th April.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The BJK Cup qualifers are complete
The qualifers this week for November's Finals:
Spain
Czech Republic
France
Canada
USA
Italy
Germany
Kazakhstan
Slovenia
Join Switzerland and Australia and a wild card nation

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just browsing at the Stuttgart WTA500 draw play starts Monday 17th April
Some juicy first round matches,
Ostapenko - Raducanu
Pliskova - Sakkari
Gauff - Kudermetova
Badosa - Kasatkina

News just in Petra Kvitova has to withdraw, due to a foot injury. Petra Martic will take her place in the draw.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
There will be "Electronic Line Calling' in Madrid (clay) on the 2 biggest courts,
Manolo Santana and Arantxa Sanchez Vicario

There won't be any in Rome on any court

Status
Not open for further replies.