WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Iga was given a 'code violation for taking too long during her break between sets ( toilet break), she was not happy about it, she had some type of papers in her hand, maybe she was reading notes on the toilet and forgot the time she was allowed lol!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Iga had 2 BPs but failed to convert early in the 2nd set, Iga is pressing too hard on her returns and especially her bhand
2 games all 2nd set
Babs breaks and consolidates and leads 4-2 2nd set, Iga continues to be frustrated, it is affecting her play, at times missing shots she normally plays with ease

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Iga was given a 'code violation for taking too long during her break between sets ( toilet break), she was not happy about it, she had some type of papers in her hand, maybe she was reading notes on the toilet and forgot the time she was allowed lol!
Barbora kinda owns Iga and she knows it.I think this year players will start to figure her out.I also think she doesn't handle losses or losing well.In this match she is already flustered because she cannot bully the Czech ..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Babs gets the double break and will serve for the match 5-2, this has been a 'Master Class Performance' from Babs today against Iga
Babs takes the ball early and re-directs with ease, which has totally frustrated Iga today

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to Babs winning the WTA1000 Dubai tournament defeating the No 1 seed Iga Swiatek 64 62
Babs is now the 'fifth' player to beat the WTA No 1 ,2 and 3 seed at the same tournament
Babs will join Graf, Serena, Venus and Sabalenka
Interesting comments from Krejcikova after her win,
"When you play with Iga, you have to suffer, she's everywhere.She plays great shots.She likes to play long rallies. So you have to suffer. I dont mind that".
Swiatek W 10 UFE 27 Krejcikova W 23 UFE 19
Krejcikova will be No 16 with this win, when the rankings come out on Monday

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have to mention this, it was a QF match at the Merida Open Alcron in Mexico, yesterday

Camila Giorgi defeated Sloane Stephens the No 2 seed, 6-0 6-0? honestly I dont know why Sloane continues to play, from the reports I read Sloane was just disinterested. Sloane has hired Frances Roig this year, who left Rafa Nadal this year to coach Sloane, he must be wondering did I make a huge mistake!

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
The problem with the WTA is that many of the top ranked players, like Krejcikova and Pegula, are hardly marketable. The only high ranked player that is marketable right now is Coco Gauff, and to be perfectly honest, my interest in watching women’s tennis goes down when Coco isn’t playing in a tournament or after she loses a match.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The problem with the WTA is that many of the top ranked players, like Krejcikova and Pegula, are hardly marketable. The only high ranked player that is marketable right now is Coco Gauff, and to be perfectly honest, my interest in watching women’s tennis goes down when Coco isn’t playing in a tournament or after she loses a match.
As a tennis fan I always look at a tennis players and their individual games, Barbora coming back from a bad elbow injury, has great variety in her game, as we all witnessed in her great performance against Swiatek in Dubai, she takes the ball on early and can re-direct with ease, maybe if Coco studies her game she may in the future be able to defeat Iga, her H2H at present is now 0-6 she has a lot of work to do going forward.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I told Kskate I would post Ostapenko's new ranking after she lost at Dubai as the defending champion
Jelena Ostapenko's new world ranking is No 20 - 6 points after losing in Dubai

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Camila Giorgi d Q Rebecca Peterson 76(3) 16 62 to win the Merida Open, it is Camila's 4th career title ( I wish her father would get his hair cut lol)...Camila with this win is #46 ranking

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Coco Gauff's world ranking remains steady at #6. She actually gained 160 ranking points by making the semifinals at Dubai, improving on her quarterfinal result from last year.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
There was no change in the WTA Top 10, though, even though all of them but Ons Jabeur were in Dubai,
Top 10 rankings Monday 27th February

1. Swiatek
2. Sabalenka
3. Pegula
4. Jabeur
5. Garcia
6. Gauff
7. Sakkari
8. Kasatkina
9. Bencic
10. Rybakina.

Note: The biggest mover was Krejcikova who earned 900 rankings points after winning Dubai, she moved from No 30 to No 16.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA Tour is headed this week ,
Austin Texas, for the very first time, ATX Open
Top seed, Magda Linette

Monterrey, Mexico,
Top seed, Caroline Garcia

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay how did Sloane get beat 6-0 6-0 by CG. Any thoughts
Camila hits the ball hard and flat with aggression, takes the ball early, when it is balanced she can be hard to beat especially on a hard court, she only knows one way to play, so I guess her shots found the line in her match against Sloane., who apparently was just a bystander in the match :)
BTW Camila won the tournament at the Merida Open yesterday

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Emma Raducanu has withdrawn from ATX Open in Austin, Emma is currently suffering from tonsilitis
I am really certain of her early retirement because of these "injuries".She is experiencing the Robson "malaise"..it's not looking good .

Status
Not open for further replies.