WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Another walkover to the SFs,

Karolina Muchova has withdrawn from QFs match against Jess Pegula with an abdominal injury
Pegula gets a walkover to the SFs, she awaits the winner of Sabalenka/Krejcikova

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well done to Barbora Krejcikova she turned around the match, after being wiped off the court with a bagel in the first set, the 2022 Sabalenka turned up in the 2nd and 3rd sets, pushing her shots, especially her serve, being too aggressive resulting in DFs, a hard lesson learnt in this tournament
Krejcikova d Sabalenka (2) 06 76(2) 61
Barbora will play Jessica Pegula in the SF, who got a walkover due to Muchova withdrawing with an abdominal injury

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I swear that Krejcikova is the luckiest player on tour. She was the beneficiary of Maria Sakkari choke at the 2021 French Open and now this from Sabalenka in the 2nd and 3rd sets (after winning a slam, mind you). I wish Coco could get that kind of break, lol.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Anett Kontaveit has withdrawn from IW, she will be replaced by Maryna Zanevska

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Dubai Semi Finals, Friday 24th,

(1) Iga Swiatek vs Coco Gauff (5) H2H Swiatek 5-0

(3) Jess Pegula vs Barbora Krejcikova H2H Pegula 1-0

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I swear that Krejcikova is the luckiest player on tour. She was the beneficiary of Maria Sakkari choke at the 2021 French Open and now this from Sabalenka in the 2nd and 3rd sets (after winning a slam, mind you). I wish Coco could get that kind of break, lol.
I have a few thoughts on choking.. The biggest one I can recall was McEnroe brilliant performance at RG 84 vs Lendl. Up 2 sets to love and a break in the 3rd and he just folded like a cheap suit. How about Coria choke against Gaudio at RG or Safin's choke against thomas Johannson at AO. Those were some big time chokes because each player(not Coria who only had his speed and quickness) had plethora weapons to calms the nerves. Choking is all about nerves and Sakkari is a headcase and may Never recover to win a SLAM which is shame because she probably trains harder than anyone on tour. Sakkari is just like Svitolina aka Mrs.Monfils who as @kskate2 told me last year have "zero" weapons. This is where tennis IQ and problem solving reigns supreme. What makes Novak, Rafa and Roger so great is how they stay consistent regardless of the moment. Saba was able to overcome her demons in AO this year and she should be pure case study that anyone can overcome their mental challenges to play their best tennis. Just my two cents worth.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I get a bit miffed when people say she lost because she is a "headcase" for starters or she 'choked"

Quite frankly I did not think Sakkari could win a RG title, for starters she has not got the all round variety game of Krejcikova
I knew Babs had the game to win RG and she did.
Maria Sakkari's stats in s/finals and finals is not a good one.
Remember too Krejcikova and her doubles partner Siniakova have won all 4 majors in Doubles together and Gold at the last Olympics
Krejcikova was off the tour for sometime due to a elbow injury
Krejcikova has beaten Iga Swiatek in the Ostra final on a HC, so dont underestimate Babs, she has been slowing finding her game.
In today's game against Sabalenka she waited, applied her all court game and yes Sabalenka did become the Sabalenka of 2022 in ways, still you got to have the game to defeat her, and Babs did just that.

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I dont think Iga having a day off will affect her, though Gauff needs to improve these stats she had in her QF match against Madison W4 and 31 UFE in 2 sets of tennis wont cut it against Swiatek

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeing I had to work, I recorded the match Swiatek v Gauff, Swiatek won 64 62...again it was the heavy top spin of Iga that kept attacking the fhand of Gauff, forcing Gauff with 16 UFE on her fhand, until she improves her fhand wing, we will see the same thing happening time and time again
Swiatek is the first player through to the final, at present I am watching Pegula v Krejcikova. 1 set all, though Babs is now 4-0 up in the final set, as I said before do not underestimate Krejcikova

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Krejcikova bagels Pegula on her birthday, 61 57 60 to reach the final, her biggest final since winning Roland Garos.
Babora v Iga tomorrow.Their last final in Ostrava was the best match of the 2022 season and Krejcikova won.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Dubai Singles Final, Saturday 25th February,

Iga Swiatek (1) vs Barbora Krejcikova H2H Swiatek 2-1

Can Barbora Krejcikova give Iga Swiatek a run on Saturday, she has beaten 4 Top 15 players this week, and she beat Iga in one of the best matches of 2022, in the Ostra final.

Ladies Doubles final,

V.Kudermetova/L.Samsonova vs H.Chan/L.Chan

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to V.Kudermetova and L. Samsonova defeating H.Chan/L/Chan 64 67(4) 10-1, in the Ladies Doubles Final in Dubai!

Reactions: AnonymousFan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It is early days, though I like the way Babs is reading Iga serve at present, I feel playing doubles helps her redirect on the return, also I am not happy that Murray v Medvedev final is on at the same time.pfft, I am SB that match
I can't see it because I refuse to pay for TC plus

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As I mentioned before Babs reading and redirecting of Iga's serve has been an important key in this final, she has great hands, again due to the fact she has played soo much doubles.
Babs broke again and leads 4-3
Missed opportunity for Babs there had game point, Iga broke back, her bhand wing very solid, in the longer rallies at present she is the stronger player
4 games all

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Babs breaks Iga's serve again and served for the 1st set 5-4 and won 64.Toilet break for Iga
Babs can absorb pace and re-directs with ease, which at present is creating frustration for Iga.
This is the 1st set Iga has lost since the AO earlier this year!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.