WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The LTA has been offered $500,00 from the WTA Tour if they lift their ban on Russian and Belarusian players from competing in this year's pre- Wimbledon grass court event.The women's tour has proposed to halve their $1 million fine on the British tennis body if athletes from the 2 nations are allowed to play, while calling on the LTA and All England Club to try and negotiate with the government

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Day 5 Dubai, Tuesday 21st February,

Top seeds in the draw start their campaigns,
No 1 seed Swiatek vs L.Fernandez
No2 seed Sabalenka vs L. Davis
C. Garcia (4) vs M.Keys
J. Pegula (3) vs V.Tomova
C.Gauff (5) vs A.Sasnovich
D.Kastatkina (7) vs B.Krejcikova
B.Bencic (8) vs M.Kostyuk
Defennding champion J.Ostapenko (13) vs the youngster Linda Fruhvirtova

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
@MargaretMcAleer
Let's look at who Iga has lost to in the last 8 months, Cornet, Garcia, Babs, Keys, Saba, Jess and Elena. They all play a different style than Iga.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
@MargaretMcAleer
Let's look at who Iga has lost to in the last 8 months, Cornet, Garcia, Babs, Keys, Saba, Jess and Elena. They all play a different style than Iga.
Yes they all play a different style of play, though the common factor here was except for Garcia who won on clay, Cornet at Wimbledon, the rest of the players defeated Iga on a HC, where I feel is where she is most vulnerable, especially a fast HC or an indoor HC which Babs defeated her in the Ostava Open 2022.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Just watching Rybakina v Andreescu
Elena won the 1set 63, playing great had a MTO took some pills, now Andresscu having a MTO for her shoulder, which seems to be a ongoing problem for Bianca, you know sad to say I dont think Bianca's body is meant to play tennis, she has a great game when 'on' her career thus far has been stop and start with soo many injuries, even as a junior.
Maybe that shoulder rub was the key for Bianca to break in the 2nd set, she was broken,broke back and leads 4-2 2nd set
Of course I spoke too soon, Elena breaks back lol!.....can someone hold their serve please in the 2nd set?
Rybakina wins 63 64, Bianca had her chances to win the 2nd set, though I must say it was a tough 1st rd match for her,
Andreescu is always taking medical timeouts that can appear to be suspect.I remember her exchanging words with Kerber because of this.I hope she gets in good shape that she doesn't have to take these breaks that sometimes appear to be strategic.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Andreescu is always taking medical timeouts that can appear to be suspect.I remember her exchanging words with Kerber because of this.I hope she gets in good shape that she doesn't have to take these breaks that sometimes appear to be strategic.
I see your point with taking MTO that sometimes appears to be strategic, though of late this shoulder problem has been an ongoing problem for the last couple of months

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Qinwen Zhang withdrew against L. Samsonova due to abdominal pain.
Sania Miraz's professional career ends today with a 64 60 defeat alongside Madison Keys to Veronika Kudermetova and Liudmila Samsonova

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I'll never forget those matches at IW and Miami. Kerbie called her a drama queen because of the amount of medical attention she commandeered. LOL

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeded players who have been defeated today Day 5 in Dubai, ( so far, a couple of matches still to be played)

K.Pliskova d M. Sakkari (6) 61 62
M. Keys d C.Garcia (4) 75 64....AP will be happy
B.Krejcikova d D.Kastakina (7) 64 46 75.....a match I thought Barbora could win

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Garbine Mugurza has withdrawn from IW Qualifying. I hope she will take some time for herself and is able to find some peace off the court, so she can find her tennis once again.Garbine has just confirmed she wont play the Sunshine double.Career stopped as she will leave the top 100.Garbine was top 5 a year ago.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Day 6 Dubai, Tuesday 22nd February, Round of 16,

I.Swiatek (1) vs L. Samsonova (14)
A.Kalinina vs K.Pliskova
J. Ostapenko (13) vs A.Sabalenka (2)...........Popcorn Match!
P. Kvitova (12) vs B.Krejcikova
C.Gauff (5) vs E.Rybakina (9)
V.Azarenka (16) vs M.Keys
J. Pegula (3) vs A.Bogdan
B.Bencic (8) vs K.Muchova

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Breaking News ( I am not surprised as Garbine Muguruza withdrew from qualifying at both IW and Miami earlier today, she will leave the top 100, was a top 5 player a year ago)

Garbine Murguruza, former World No 1 player has officially announced her retirement from professional tennis.
Garbine won 10 career titles
Clicnhed the No 1 position September 2017
2 GS titles,
French Open in 2016
Wimbledon in 2017

I wish her Garbine all the happiness in her retirement !

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Breaking News ( I am not surprised as Garbine Muguruza withdrew from qualifying at both IW and Miami earlier today, she will leave the top 100, was a top 5 player a year ago)

Garbine Murguruza, former World No 1 player has officially announced her retirement from professional tennis.
Garbine won 10 career titles
Clicnhed the No 1 position September 2017
2 GS titles,
French Open in 2016
Wimbledon in 2017

I wish her Garbine all the happiness in her retirement !
Not surprised either. Throughout the last 6 years, she was never really happy to be out there. And she does have her new beau. I wouldn't be surprised if she joins the baby train. It's a bit full right now w/ former #1s

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Elena Rybakina has withdrawn from singles and doubles due to a lower back injury
Coco Gauff gets a walkover to the QFS and will face Madison Keys

K.Muchova d 8th seed B.Bencic 61 64
M.Keys d V.Azarenka (15) 62 61, Vika was hampered with a leg injury in the match, though Madison played well, first time she has defeated Vika in four attempts.
B. Krejcikova d P.Kvitova (12) 63 62, Babs finding solid form so far in this tournament

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sabalenka will have to re-group, Ostapenko in the 'zone' in the 1st set 62, defending champion, really shines on this court in Dubai, as we know with Ostapenko she can go from great to bad in a set to the next lol!
Sabalenka found the court and her game wins the 2nd set 61, onto a 3rd set now
Sabalenka (2) defeats the defending champion Ostapenko (13) 26 61 61, after this 1st set, she re-grouped and found her game, looking good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.