Will Novak pass Rafa?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So you've got 4 contenders? That's not actually more or much more, than always "before." Depends on when you count from, and year to year. Not sure what you mean by having a lot of "pretenders." Unlikely to win but could do it? Roger, Stan, Tsitsipas? Probably the rest are mostly spoilers,

Yes, that is the Def of pretenders. I would add Sasha to the pretender list definitely. Couple more can be added based on who is hot when RG comes around..

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think whoever reaches 22 will have the all-time lead. Rafa and Novak are definitely not done. For me Rafa's likely range is 1-3, while Novak's looks like 2-5. Roger is 0-1. There's a scenario where they all finish with 20 or 21, but I think only one reaches 22 - and maybe not even one.

You make it to the point, El Dude. That's how I feel about this "race." While Djokovic will more than likely win more slams, I think Nadal will win enough slams to keep off Djokovic. Also, there's always part of me that Federer wins one more slam...

I agree about the number 22 for the slams leader but that will be tough for both Djokovic and Nadal.

Basically, Djokovic has to win 5 slams after the age of 33 and Nadal has to win 3 more slams. No matter what anyone says, Djokovic will win more slams but he will have to take every single mental and physical abilities he has on his body. As we seen in the final, he will have more of those in the finals in where he will feel nervous, physically tired, mentally walkabouts and etc...Yes, he was able to maneuver this time around, however he might not able to do that again next time around especially as he gets older and the nextgen gets more and more experience.

It is similar to Nadal but to a lesser number (3 < 5) of course. Can he managed his body and emotions when the time comes? Also, can he snatch another slam off-Clay, no?

Last edited:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Obviously Ralph is the favorite. But, I think both the AO finalists and Med will be serious contenders.

We will have at leasthe half a dozen pretenders.

If Nadal and Medvedev meet at RG, Nadal will win that match in three straightforward sets.

Clay does not suits Medvedev's game that well. He can defend all he wants but he will just get tired easily.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, that is the Def of pretenders. I would add Sasha to the pretender list definitely. Couple more can be added based on who is hot when RG comes around..
Funnily, you might put Zverev and Tsitsipas above Medvedev on clay. One good win over Novak at MC, but I do think this next clay season will tell a lot, in terms of who is really in. But I agree that there are more dangerous opponents out there. Which is basically because the youngsters are coming up...on all surfaces.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Obviously Ralph is the favorite. But, I think both the AO finalists and Med will be serious contenders.

We will have at leasthe half a dozen pretenders.

Probably yeah but then again, Nadal, Thiem and Djokovic were the contenders last year as well so I don't think this year is too different. Medvedev might make a run but stylistically Nadal massacres him on clay.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Funnily, you might put Zverev and Tsitsipas above Medvedev on clay. One good win over Novak at MC, but I do think this next clay season will tell a lot, in terms of who is really in. But I agree that there are more dangerous opponents out there. Which is basically because the youngsters are coming up...on all surfaces.

Actually 2 decent results on clay last year. The week right after Monte Carlo he beat Nishikori to reach the final of Barcelona and lost to Thiem there. He has underachieved a lot at RG so can surely only improve there.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You make it to the point, El Dude. That's how I feel about this "race." While Djokovic will more than likely win more slams, I think Nadal will win enough slams to keep off Djokovic. Also, there's always part of me that Federer wins one more slam...

I agree about the number 22 for the slams leader but that will be tough for both Djokovic and Nadal.

Basically, Djokovic has to win 5 slams after the age of 33 and Nadal has to win 3 more slams. No matter what anyone says, Djokovic will win more slams but he will have to take every single mental and physical abilities he has on his body. As we seen in the final, he will have more of those in the finals in where he will feel nervous, physically tired, mentally walkabouts and etc...Yes, he was able to maneuver this time around, however he might not able to do that again next time around especially as he gets older and the nextgen gets more and more experience.

It is similar to Nadal but to a lesser number (3 < 5) of course. Can he managed his body and emotions when the time comes? Also, can he snatch another slam off-Clay, no?
Thiem unfortunately played a really bad game at 3-3 4th set, netted a sitter volley, double faulted and hit a sitter forehand long in 3 consecutive points. He dropped off and Djoker of course took advantage of it, like the scavengers always do. I am pretty sure he will do better in future, and this time it would have something to do with the mileage he had.

Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I wish it were otherwise, but I think the only real contenders for RG are Nadal, Djokovic, and Thiem. There are maybe half a dozen pretenders, but they're all very unlikely to get by one of those three, let alone two.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually 2 decent results on clay last year. The week right after Monte Carlo he beat Nishikori to reach the final of Barcelona and lost to Thiem there. He has underachieved a lot at RG so can surely only improve there.
OK, I forgot about Barcelona, and those are good results, but you are wildly overestimating him on clay. He has "underachieved" at RG, as in he's lost 1st round the past 3 years. Look at his surface numbers. (Below.) I agree that he'll likely do better this year, but he's got no real cred on clay. I don't even see him as a spoiler to the top 3 contenders. Same with Sasha.

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 7.10.46 PM.png

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wish it were otherwise, but I think the only real contenders for RG are Nadal, Djokovic, and Thiem. There are maybe half a dozen pretenders, but they're all very unlikely to get by one of those three, let alone two.
I agree. I know everyone keeps looking for more people to...let's face it...challenge Rafa, but RG is the most physically, and therefore mentally, challenging Slam, and those 3 are just too tough on both counts. Since Roger is supposed to play, and assuming Stan is on good form and fit, I'd say they're still the next tier down. If anything, it's the US Open that will be much more of a scrum this year, I'd think.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Speaking of RG, everyone seems to have forgotten about Berrettini, but look at his clay numbers. He's one I will have my beady eye on this clay season. He could be a real spoiler, if he finds his USO form and mindset. Why not? Is he injured?

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 7.24.21 PM.png

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree. I know everyone keeps looking for more people to...let's face it...challenge Rafa, but RG is the most physically, and therefore mentally, challenging Slam, and those 3 are just too tough on both counts. Since Roger is supposed to play, and assuming Stan is on good form and fit, I'd say they're still the next tier down. If anything, it's the US Open that will be much more of a scrum this year, I'd think.

Agreed. As of right now, I'd say the seeding for the Slams are:

Roland Garros
1. Rafael Nadal
2. Novak Djokovic
3. Dominic Thiem
4. Everyone else

Wimbledon
1. Novak Djokovic
2. Roger Federer
3. Rafael Nadal
4. Everyone else

US Open
1. Novak Djokovic
2. Rafael Nadal
3. Daniil Medvedev
4. Roger Federer
5. Everyone else

"Everyone else" are the pretenders and darkhorses. For each Slam, there are a half dozen or more.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed. As of right now, I'd say the seeding for the Slams are:

Roland Garros
1. Rafael Nadal
2. Novak Djokovic
3. Dominic Thiem
4. Everyone else

Wimbledon
1. Novak Djokovic
2. Roger Federer
3. Rafael Nadal
4. Everyone else

US Open
1. Novak Djokovic
2. Rafael Nadal
3. Daniil Medvedev
4. Roger Federer
5. Everyone else

"Everyone else" are the pretenders and darkhorses. For each Slam, there are a half dozen or more.
Respectfully, I think putting Medvedev 3 at this coming year's USO is a bit of a bandwagon. I think he's in a group of next genners that are still going to sort themselves out this year. August/September is a long way away, and I do wonder how the #NextGen will be looking by then. If I were gaming it now, I'd still put Thiem ahead of him at the USO.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Barring a miracle Ralph will win RG. Having said that, I think the number of contenders for the #2 spot in RG is little bit higher than usual this year.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Barring a miracle Ralph will win RG. Having said that, I think the number of contenders for the #2 spot in RG is little bit higher than usual this year.
You keep saying that, but then everyone else says it's Djokovic and Thiem. Who else would you put in the #2 spot. I said that Fed and Wawrinka are in the second tier. Who do you really like for second best option, if not those? Schwartzman? Medvedev? Berrettini? Zverev?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Everybody knows what a Steffi Fan did to Monica. No, I am not suggest any crazy Nadalite to go out and stab Nole.

If I were a crazy Nadalite, I will hire a hot Bollywood actress and send her in the way of Novak. :dance1: Then Novak will lose his plot for two years and when he wakes up, he will find that he is too old. Then, there is no way Novak can pass Ralph. :dance3:

• Angry
Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Everybody knows what a Steffi Fan did to Monica. No, I am not suggest any crazy Nadalite to go out and stab Nole.

If I were a crazy Nadalite, I will hire a hot Bollywood actress and send her in the way of Novak. :dance1: Then Novak will lose his plot for two years and when he wakes up, he will find that he is too old. Then, there is no way Novak can pass Ralph. :dance3:
Err?? This is your thread. Why go nuts? Questions got too hard?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Err?? This is your thread. Why go nuts? Questions got too hard?

The point is to show how quickly things can turn around. When Nole finished his Nole Slam, it appeared as though he is going to overtake everyone in just two years. But he basically he laid an egg.