Will Novak pass Rafa?

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Who will stop Djokovic at USO and AO now?

I think he'll equal Nadal by the time RG 2020 rolls around

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well we shall see I can see 2-3 more for Novak in his count, but I could as easily see Rafa get 1-2 more and Fed could sneak 1 in before things start to unravel.

Tons have unraveled more than enough for Fed. He's done. If he won today then maybe, but not now.

Reactions: DarthFed

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Technically he should already be ahead but Nadal keeps winning RG so there's that. God knows how many RGs Nadal will win and if he snags a HC slam or another Wimbledon somehow and faker has one of his Pepe moments again then it's over.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Since the 2019 Grand Slam season just ended, I want to bump this thread. In my opinion, the race between Djokovic and Nadal is probably the most interesting slam count "race" between the Big Three.

In recap, here are the stats at the start of 2019:

Nadal: 17 titles
Djokovic: 14 titles

Here are the stats at the end of 2019:

Nadal: 19 titles
Djokovic: 16 titles

As you could see, the difference did not change (with Nadal still having +3 advantage over Djokovic).

Here's my two cents on the "race" between these two players:

I think Djokovic will have more chances to win more slams because he is 1 year younger BUT I think Nadal will win enough slams to keep his lead over Djokovic.

Like I said before: Djokovic does not have an "advantage" over Nadal like Nadal has "advantage" over Federer in terms of the rate of winning slams. Here's what I mean:

In order for Djokovic to surpass Nadal, Djokovic has to win at the very least 4 more slams. But here's the problem: Nadal has an equal opportunity of winning a slam just like Djokovic. Here's a rate:

Djokovic - 4, Nadal - 0
Djokovic - 5, Nadal - 1
Djokovic - 6, Nadal - 2

So basically Djokovic has to win those slams just to surpass Nadal in the slam count. Unfortunately for him, if Nadal sneaks in 1 or 2 more slams then it will be really hard for Djokovic to surpass Nadal.

Before everyone says, "Well Djokovic just won 4 out of 5 slams before the US Open and he is the number 1 player in the world..." Just like Nadal struggled with nerves and being passive, Djokovic also struggled with nerves and being passive in the Wimbledon final in July against Federer. In addition, he just had a shoulder injury so he is not automatic anymore when it comes to winning slams. He is still the favorite in Australia and Wimbledon but he is not clear cut favorite in those two slams. Finally, if Medvedev continues the level play he has shown during the summer then it will be interesting on how Djokovic and Nadal move forward in the slams.

Reactions: Moxie

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Since the 2019 Grand Slam season just ended, I want to bump this thread. In my opinion, the race between Djokovic and Nadal is probably the most interesting slam count "race" between the Big Three.

In recap, here are the stats at the start of 2019:

Nadal: 17 titles
Djokovic: 14 titles

Here are the stats at the end of 2019:

Nadal: 19 titles
Djokovic: 16 titles

As you could see, the difference did not change (with Nadal still having +3 advantage over Djokovic).

Here's my two cents on the "race" between these two players:

I think Djokovic will have more chances to win more slams because he is 1 year younger BUT I think Nadal will win enough slams to keep his lead over Djokovic.

Like I said before: Djokovic does not have an "advantage" over Nadal like Nadal has "advantage" over Federer in terms of the rate of winning slams. Here's what I mean:

In order for Djokovic to surpass Nadal, Djokovic has to win at the very least 4 more slams. But here's the problem: Nadal has an equal opportunity of winning a slam just like Djokovic. Here's a rate:

Djokovic - 4, Nadal - 0
Djokovic - 5, Nadal - 1
Djokovic - 6, Nadal - 2

So basically Djokovic has to win those slams just to surpass Nadal in the slam count. Unfortunately for him, if Nadal sneaks in 1 or 2 more slams then it will be really hard for Djokovic to surpass Nadal.

Before everyone says, "Well Djokovic just won 4 out of 5 slams before the US Open and he is the number 1 player in the world..." Just like Nadal struggled with nerves and being passive, Djokovic also struggled with nerves and being passive in the Wimbledon final in July against Federer. In addition, he just had a shoulder injury so he is not automatic anymore when it comes to winning slams. He is still the favorite in Australia and Wimbledon but he is not clear cut favorite in those two slams. Finally, if Medvedev continues the level play he has shown during the summer then it will be interesting on how Djokovic and Nadal move forward in the slams.
Again i have to agree.
I dont think Novak will surpass Nadal, hope he reach him and they all end up at same number.
I believ we will see a new Slam winner in 2020, most likely on HC.
The only thing that could change my opinion about slam count is when an other player wins RG next year, but i could not imagine it yet
For me personally the h2h is very important, and i hope that keeps like it is now with Novak leading both of them.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm actually leaning towards both of them passing Roger, and Novak maybe passing Rafa, although I agree with Rafanoy's assertion that slams will become a bit harder to win for Novak. The AO coming up with huge for him though, as it is his baby. If somehow the order was different and RG comes first, with Nadal potentially winning it, it would have had a different psychological impact in terms of momentum.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Again i have to agree.
I dont think Novak will surpass Nadal, hope he reach him and they all end up at same number.
I believ we will see a new Slam winner in 2020, most likely on HC.
The only thing that could change my opinion about slam count is when an other player wins RG next year, but i could not imagine it yet
For me personally the h2h is very important, and i hope that keeps like it is now with Novak leading both of them.

He’s not leading Rafa he is trailing him 6-9. Slams are the most important so you can’t talk about slam titles and then not talk about slam h2h. Sorry!

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
He’s not leading Rafa he is trailing him 6-9. Slams are the most important so you can’t talk about slam titles and then not talk about slam h2h. Sorry!
Haha i read that one in other posts of you.

Fact is that Novak won more matches against both of them, that is what h2h means.

To beat someone more often, no matter what tournament, is a big thing, at least for me. So this doesent change if you talk it down!!
Espacially in so many matches. They are all extremly ambitious, they try to win every time.

And dont mind, there is nothing you have to be sorry for.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Haha i read that one in other posts of you.

Fact is that Novak won more matches against both of them, that is what h2h means.

To beat someone more often, no matter what tournament, is a big thing, at least for me. So this doesent change if you talk it down!!
Espacially in so many matches. They are all extremly ambitious, they try to win every time.

And dont mind, there is nothing you have to be sorry for.

Then Jimmy Connors is the greatest so far with the most overall titles.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
??
We talked about h2h records of the big 3.
Now Jimmy???

Wow I really need to spell everything for you. If you want to talk about overall h2h as the most important then you should talk about the overall titles as the most important meaning Connors is the goat. So you can’t talk about total slam titles as most important and then not talk about slam h2h. Either slam titles & slam h2h or either overall titles & overall h2h. Get it???

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Wow I really need to spell everything for you. If you want to talk about overall h2h as the most important then you should talk about the overall titles as the most important meaning Connors is the goat. So you can’t talk about total slam titles as most important and then not talk about slam h2h. Either slam titles & slam h2h or either overall titles & overall h2h. Get it???
Don’t tell me what I should you genius.
Who said total slam titles is the most important? Me? I said for me the h2h stat of Novak against Nadal and Roger counts, he leads them both, and this will stay.
Nothing overall stuff you come around with.
Enjoy the title of your God to whom you pray, and get over it that he lost more than won against Novak.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don’t tell me what I should you genius.
Who said total slam titles is the most important? Me? I said for me the h2h stat of Novak against Nadal and Roger counts, he leads them both, and this will stay.
Nothing overall stuff you come around with.
Enjoy the title of your God to whom you pray, and get over it that he lost more than won against Novak.

19-16 and 9-6 :bye:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Just a bump.

I think this year's RG will have multiple contenders unlike before.

Reactions: Bonaca

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just a bump.

I think this year's RG will have multiple contenders unlike before.
So who you got for real contenders?

Also, I saw your response to me when you said you believe that Novak will pass Nadal. I suggested you were walking a fine line there, and your said that you think Roger will win one more. Forgive me if I'm presuming, but I'm sure your response means that you're hoping they finish: Fed 21, Novak 20, Rafa 19. Is that correct? I could see why that would be a Fedfan preference, but that also means you think Rafa is done winning slams. Just checking.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So who you got for real contenders?

Obviously Ralph is the favorite. But, I think both the AO finalists and Med will be serious contenders.

We will have at leasthe half a dozen pretenders.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I think whoever reaches 22 will have the all-time lead. Rafa and Novak are definitely not done. For me Rafa's likely range is 1-3, while Novak's looks like 2-5. Roger is 0-1. There's a scenario where they all finish with 20 or 21, but I think only one reaches 22 - and maybe not even one.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Obviously Ralph is the favorite. But, I think both the AO finalists and Med will be serious contenders.

We will have at leasthe half a dozen pretenders.
So you've got 4 contenders? That's not actually more or much more, than always "before." Depends on when you count from, and year to year. Not sure what you mean by having a lot of "pretenders." Unlikely to win but could do it? Roger, Stan, Tsitsipas? Probably the rest are mostly spoilers, I'd say.

Otherwise, you're not interested in answering the 2nd part of my question, I see. Das cool.