Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sania Mirza and Leander Peas

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The draw for the Mixed Doubles event is finally out. The event commences tomorrow. There are six interesting and/or important pairs in the draw.

1. Nicolas Mahut and Caroline Garcia, the #1 Seeds. (FRA)
2. P.H. Herbert and Kristina Mladenovic, the #2 Seeds. (FRA)
3. Rafa Nadal and Garbine Muguraza, the #3 seeds (ESP)
4. Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna, the #4 seeds (IND)
5. Jamie Murray and J. Konta, unseeded (GBR)
6. Stepanek and Hradecka (CZE)

Nicolas Mahut and P.H. Herbert are #1 and #2 in Men's doubles rankings. Caroline Garcia and Kristina Malendovic are #3 and #4 in Women's doubles rankings (behind only Santina). So, by mixing and matching, they got two strong French Teams (although all of them lost in their respective gender doubles :cover).

We also have teams such as Fog and Vinci, Venus and Ram, Aga and Kubot, Jack Sock and BMS. But, I wouldn't consider those teams as favorites to win a medal. Having said that, mixed doubles event is like a lottery if the first two sets are split, as they play a super-tie-breaker and so any team could end up winning a medal. My guess is that all three medals will go to the 6 pairs mentioned above.

p.s. It is Jamie Murray and not Andy Murray who is playing in this event

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Four countries have two teams each in the mixed doubles. They are France, Spain, USA and Romania. Eight other countries contributed one team each to the draw.

Venus and Ram, Fog and Vinci, Melo and Teliana, Stepanek and Hradecka got in as a wild card (viz., ITF places) and not through the regular route (the cut off for the combined ranking was 37, exactly same as the one for 2012 incidentally).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
All the eight opening round matches of mixed doubles will be played tomorrow, Wednesday.

There are two interesting match-ups.

1. Rafa & Garbine vs. Worm and Hradecka
2. Jamie & Konta vs. BMS and Socks

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
After a careful analysis (which is not worth going into details for this event), here are my SF picks

Top half: Jack Sock & BMS vs. Rafa & Garbine

Bottom half: Sania Mirza & Rohan Bopanna vs. K. Mladenovic & P. Herbert

p.s. Conventional wisdom is that in mixed doubles, a strong ladies player is more important than a strong man player.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I like Venus's spirit in playing mixed doubles (and that too without qualifying for it and getting in through ITF spot) after losing in the other two events in the opening round (and despite the Sojourner Syndrome and the flu she had).

Apparently, Anna Ivanovic and Nenad Zimonjic did not make the cut and are the first alernates; if any of the current teams quit at the last moment, they would be playing. If Novak wanted to play, he and Anna would have got in though.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I like Venus's spirit in playing mixed doubles (and that too without qualifying for it and getting in through ITF spot) after losing in the other two events in the opening round (and despite the Sojourner Syndrome and the flu she had).

Apparently, Anna Ivanovic and Nenad Zimonjic did not make the cut and are the first alernates; if any of the current teams quit at the last moment. If Novak wanted to play, he and Anna would have got in though.

is Anna a good doubles player

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Apparently, Anna Ivanovic and Nenad Zimonjic did not make the cut and are the first alernates; if any of the current teams quit at the last moment. If Novak wanted to play, he and Anna would have got in though.

I don't think so (even in singles, she is going nowhere after the fluke slam win at RG).

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I don't think so (even in singles, she is going nowhere after the fluke slam win at RG).

(even in singles, she is going nowhere after the fluke slam win at RG).

Amen, Finally.. I have always felt the same that she is very overrated.. Actually, I always felt that Jelania J is a better tennis player than Anna but she is a bigger headcase..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

If this was the number 1 seed that just lost to that team from Brazil..I am :puzzled

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Happy for the team from Brazil.. Teliana Pereria's really came up in poverty..Its good to see someone from the other side of the tracks come thru.:clap

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:

If this was the number 1 seed that just lost to that team from Brazil..I am :puzzled

The #2 seeds Herbert and Kristina also lost. The funny thing is that Herbert and Mahut were #1 seeds in Men's doubles also and lost in the first round. Caroline Garcia and Malendovic were #2 seeds in Women's doubles and lost in the first round. Now, all four of them lost in the first round in mixed doubles as well. :cover

p.s. This makes Rafa and Garbine the highest seed that is alive.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna won their opening match against Aussies. 7-5 6-4.

I am not too much impressed with the chemistry and court coverage between them though.

Anyway, they have now become the highest seed alive, after the loss of Frenchies #1 and #2 and withdrawal of #3 Spaniards.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
the AntiPusher said:
Rafa just withdraws from mixed doubles :clap

That would mean Anna and Nenad will fill in.

Oops, they did not do that as play of the event has already commenced and no further substituions allowed. Their opponents (worm & co) move to the next round.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
A Romanian pair (Monica and Mergea) who were in the mixed doubles also quit. However, they did so before the event begun. They are now replaced by Andy Murray and Heather Watson. Anna and Nenand were supposed to be the first alternates. Most probably one of them already left town.

Interestingly Andy and Heather have won and moved on to QF, whereas Jamie and Konta flunked out in the opening round.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Bad news for the Indian team. They will play Andy Murray and Heather Watson (the last minute fillers) in the QF. It may be the end of the road for the Indian pair despite being the highest seed alive.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am very proud by Florin Mergea and Horia Tecau to make the finals in mens doubles.
The former junior Wimbledon boys champions got reunited this year for the Olympics. Great decision!
Good luck in the final:clap