Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sania Mirza and Leander Peas

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger has a reasonable draw at the singles event. Hence, I don't think he would want to jeopardize his chances by signing up for Mixed Doubles at Wimbledon.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In 2012, Andy preferred to play with Laura instead of Heather, even though Heather was ranked better. It would be interesting to see whom Andy prefers this time. Needless to say, it won't be Laura. However, the british #1 now is not Heather any more and it is Konta. In view of that Andy might play with Konta. On the other hand, Heather just won mixed doubles at Wimbledon and so Andy might consider her (not to mention her heroics last year against Serena at Wimbledon).

Anyway, I personally think Andy will side with Konta and dump Heather once again.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think you're right but I think he'd be wiser to choose Heather...

Backhand_DTL

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
In 2012, Andy preferred to play with Laura instead of Heather, even though Heather was ranked better. It would be interesting to see whom Andy prefers this time. Needless to say, it won't be Laura. However, the british #1 now is not Heather any more and it is Konta. In view of that Andy might play with Konta. On the other hand, Heather just won mixed doubles at Wimbledon and so Andy might consider her (not to mention her heroics last year against Serena at Wimbledon).

Anyway, I personally think Andy will side with Konta and dump Heather once again.
He might be more or less forced to play with Konta. I think the entry is based on the sum of the ranking (using the better ranking of singles or doubles for each player) of both players. So with Konta being a Top 20 singles player he would definitely be able to play Mixed whereas Watson's ranking could be too low for them to be among the 16 pairs with the best combined ranking.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
-FG- said:
GameSetAndMath said:

He might be more or less forced to play with Konta. I think the entry is based on the sum of the ranking (using the better ranking of singles or doubles for each player) of both players. So with Konta being a Top 20 singles player he would definitely be able to play Mixed whereas Watson's ranking could be too low for them to be among the 16 pairs with the best combined ranking.

You are right. Heather is currently ranked 64. She might not even make the cut to make it to Rio. Although the cut is based on rankings at the end of RG. I am lazy to look up rankings of that date.

p.s. I bothered to look it up. Heather barely made the cut. She was ranked 56 in the rankings of 6th June and so became the last WTA player to get a direct entry. However, as you said, there is literally no way that Andy can form a team with Heather as they would not make it into the top 16 if they try.
He has much better chance of making it into top 16 with Konta ranked at 18 as of the cut off date.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Halep pulled out, Tecau must find another partner

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Really is a mouthwatering mixed doubles tournament. Can I change my vote to Serena and one of the Bryan fellas? :snicker

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed's announcement today would mean that Stan will not play Men's doubles and will instead play mixed doubles with Martina Hingis (apart from the singles event of course).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This thread was created in January 2016 as at that time Martina was bugging Roger every day for commitment and it was in the news for couple of weeks as a result. We now know that Roger is not going to Rio at all.

Today, Bryan brothers announced that they too are skipping Olympics due to health concerns (not to mention they are not hot anymore).

There were ten pairs mentioned in the poll. Of those 10 pairs, only two are not yet ruled out.
They are Novak & Ana and Rafa & Garbine.

Both Stan and Martina appeared in the poll but not as a pair.

Andy and Konta will be there too, but they were not in the original poll (as I paired Andy with Heather). Looks like two of these four (of course, I cannot predict which two) should reach SF along with two other surprise pairs. There will always be surprise pairs going deep in this event in view of the super tie-breaker format which is almost like buying a lottery ticket.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
After the Bryan Brothers dropped out, it is rumored that Williams Sisters are no longer interested in playing in the mixed doubles event. I agree with their decision considering they have to pick someone from Jack Sock, Steve Johnson, Dennis Kudla, Brian Baker and Rajeev Ram and it does not seem worthwhile.

This opens the room for Madison Keys and Sloane Stephens to play in mixed doubles (but I am not sure their ranking will be competitive enough to get them an entry. May be Keys and Sock could squeak in).

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Fed's announcement today would mean that Stan will not play Men's doubles and will instead play mixed doubles with Martina Hingis (apart from the singles event of course).

poor Martina, his 2 potential partners pulled out, no medal for her

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Mixed Doubles Events start on Wednesday, the 10th Aug and ends on Sunday, the 14th Aug.
Draw will not be announced before the 9th.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Maybe they need to resolve this early due to planning issues? As in, the Swiss Team need to be put together early for entry into the event?
my grandfather spent a lot of time in the military in Switzerland and my father was born there. Would I be eligible to play with Hingis:heart::basiate

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
On a serious note, now that so many of the top players are out of the singles, doesn't this make the doubles very intriguing..regardless of how Venus is feeling, if she can serve, I think Johnson or Sock would still want her to play. I hear Serena isn't going to play mixed.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
On a serious note, now that so many of the top players are out of the singles, doesn't this make the doubles very intriguing..regardless of how Venus is feeling, if she can serve, I think Johnson or Sock would still want her to play. I hear Serena isn't going to play mixed.

Only 16 teams are permitted in the mixed doubles event. Different countries submit their nominations.
They add up the rank of the two players in the mixed pair. The rank of a player is the minimum of their singles and doubles rankings. The 12 teams with smallest total rank of the players involved get to play (subject to the restriction of a maximum of two teams per country). The other 4 teams are decided by ITF (sort of like wild cards). So, it may not even be easy for USA team to get in.

With Vee being sick (not talking about syndrome, talking about flu), I doubt she would want to play in mixed doubles. However, Serena might play considering she is out of Women's doubles.

p.s. In 2012, the cut off based on combined ranking was 37. If it remains that large, USA can field a team.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Garbiñe/Nadal look to be a very good mixed doubles, I'm sure they will do well :cool:

I think this( Garbine& Rafa) may be the only team from GSM's poll that is still in play.. Is this correct GSM?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:
Garbiñe/Nadal look to be a very good mixed doubles, I'm sure they will do well :cool:

I think this( Garbine& Rafa) may be the only team from GSM's poll that is still in play.. Is this correct GSM?

Yep, that is the only one left intact from the list of OP which was made in Jan 2016.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
the AntiPusher said:

Only 16 teams are permitted in the mixed doubles event. Different countries submit their nominations.
They add up the rank of the two players in the mixed pair. The rank of a player is the minimum of their singles and doubles rankings. The 12 teams with smallest total rank of the players involved get to play (subject to the restriction of a maximum of two teams per country). The other 4 teams are decided by ITF (sort of like wild cards). So, it may not even be easy for USA team to get in.

With Vee being sick (not talking about syndrome, talking about flu), I doubt she would want to play in mixed doubles. However, Serena might play considering she is out of Women's doubles.

p.s. In 2012, the cut off based on combined ranking was 37. If it remains that large, USA can field a team.
i hear Vee is gonna play with Ram, that's may prove to be a amazing formidable team if Venus is able to be at least 80%

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:

What am I thinking Sock is the one who brought the flu virus to Rio games ..Venus can't be paired with him