Western & Southern Open, New York City, US - ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have never warm to him,I find him arrogant,I have always felt he over plays tennis tournaments and we have seen it has cost him in finals,where he needed his stamina.....last year's RG is a good example.
I don't see him as at all arrogant, so that's just personal taste. But I don't think at all that last year's RG was an example of over-playing. How was he not going to have played 2+ sets v. Djokovic on Sat, and not have been tired to play Rafa the next day in the final? Either one of them would have been wrecked the next day before playing Nadal in the final, which is never a good formula for success. It can't be the reason that he lost to Novak in the AO final this year, or the Rafa in the RG final in 2018, either. I don't even think that's why he lost in the final at the YEC to Tsitsipas last year. I think he has over-played in the past. I also think he's a guy with a lot of stamina. I think he loses for other reasons, in the bigger moments. But still, I like him and I have faith in him.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't see him as at all arrogant, so that's just personal taste. But I don't think at all that last year's RG was an example of over-playing. How was he not going to have played 2+ sets v. Djokovic on Sat, and not have been tired to play Rafa the next day in the final? Either one of them would have been wrecked the next day before playing Nadal in the final, which is never a good formula for success. It can't be the reason that he lost to Novak in the AO final this year, or the Rafa in the RG final in 2018, either. I don't even think that's why he lost in the final at the YEC to Tsitsipas last year. I think he has over-played in the past. I also think he's a guy with a lot of stamina. I think he loses for other reasons, in the bigger moments. But still, I like him and I have faith in him.

I suggest you listen to his press conferences? he comes over arrogrant at times,I also think he has no personality either.
He played 28 exhibition matches when the tour went to lock down?Also he was not going to the Olympics this year because he was going to play a tournament near the date? anyway it was cancelled.To me he still over plays.
Of course you have to have stamina especially on clay,especially against Rafa at RG,his stamina was shown up in the final set last year.
We all cannot like the same players,your not a fan of Novak,I understand that completely,as I am not a fan of Theim.

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
The situation is like with cyclers, noone knew in what shape are they, till 1st races. So I was surprised with Thiem, Zverev and (maybe) Dimitrov. But happy to see Potty Mouth !

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I suggest you listen to his press conferences? he comes over arrogrant at times,I also think he has no personality either.
He played 28 exhibition matches when the tour went to lock down?Also he was not going to the Olympics this year because he was going to play a tournament near the date? anyway it was cancelled.To me he still over plays.
Of course you have to have stamina especially on clay,especially against Rafa at RG,his stamina was shown up in the final set last year.
We all cannot like the same players,your not a fan of Novak,I understand that completely,as I am not a fan of Theim.
I'm not trying to talk you into Thiem, just because I like him. I actually know that more people around her dislike him than like him. Same with Murray, who I also like. I was only disagreeing with you that last year's RG final was about over-playing, rather than that it was about having to play most of a long SF v. Novak on Sat.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bedene almost just got defaulted v. Medvedev. He swatted at the ball in a bit of frustration and it ended up hitting a cameraman. There are hardly any people there, and he managed to hit one! That's bad luck. It was clearly an accident, and it wasn't really struck hard, so the tournament director let it go, which seemed right.

• Wow

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not trying to talk you into Thiem, just because I like him. I actually know that more people around her dislike him than like him. Same with Murray, who I also like. I was only disagreeing with you that last year's RG final was about over-playing, rather than that it was about having to play most of a long SF v. Novak on Sat.

Well that was Theim's draw at RG in the SF playing Novak,I can also offer other excuses for other players playing in tough SF? Rafa playing Verdasco in SF 09 at AO then having to play with not a lot of rest Roger in the final.Theim has to learn when playing 5 sets matches at times,to be measured,instead of coming out 'guns blazing'.Enough talk about Theim.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Any free tennis streaming sites?

I found one yesterday,because I wanted to watch 2 matches at once,though it was terrible,stop,starting all the time.I subscribe to Fox here in Australia where I get all mens and womens matches,though I pay for it.Another thing is they replay all the matches later.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well that was Theim's draw at RG in the SF playing Novak,I can also offer other excuses for other players playing in tough SF? Rafa playing Verdasco in SF 09 at AO then having to play with not a lot of rest Roger in the final.Theim has to learn when playing 5 sets matches at times,to be measured,instead of coming out 'guns blazing'.Enough talk about Theim.
This is not about Thiem to say that sometimes weather causes some bad luck, such as if one SF goes into the next day, when the other is finished on time. And while I understand that it's important to know how to pace yourself across 7 best of 5 matches, if you're playing a top opponent, if you don't play "guns blazing," you may have saved yourself for nothing. Not a contentious argument, just a philosophical point. :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Berrettini lost in a knockdown to Opelka. (Actually knocked Matteo off his feet with the last serve.) Djokovic's stiff neck is better and he played much better today.

• Wow

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It has stopped raining in Manhattan, so hopefully about to start back up again.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Milos the Rockstar look is definitely better than before.

This Struff guy is very unpredictable. He is having a good run here, beat Shapo and Goffin.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Milos the Rockstar look is definitely better than before.

This Struff guy is very unpredictable. He is having a good run here, beat Shapo and Goffin.
Not sure if "Milos the Rockstar" is a phrase that many would use. ;) But he is looking better than in a while. And Murray looking definitely lesser today. Too bad. Struff is funny...you never know with him. He played some great tennis v. Goffin.