Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, he will be defaulted

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed'll also be the 1st to retire and make the HOF! What else you got? Age has it privileges and detriments; more a detriment now with Fed! :partying-face:

It is not that Nadovic are following after a few years. They did in the same tourneys after a few weeks.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
While answering a mailbag question for SI, Jon Wirtheim says

"If Nadal plays the U.S. Open, my name is Olga Barabanschikova; and, yeah, sadly I think the Nadal existential shot clock is ticking down to another year as well"

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

"If Nadal plays the U.S. Open, my name is Olga Barabanschikova; and, yeah, sadly I think the Nadal existential shot clock is ticking down to another year as well"
In the same mailbag, Wertheim says he believes that Novak will win the USOpen. He tells the rest of us that we have PTSD for bringing up Vinci d. S. Williams so often to him. He insists that Djokovic's situation is different for a number of reasons. He cited the Bo5, which you have mentioned several times, (and I agree with that. Which is one reason I think women should play Bo5 at Majors, but that's for another day/thread.) He also said that Novak doesn't have to play his own brother, and that we don't take into account the emotional toll there. I think that is an oddball point, since Serena has won plenty of Majors beating Venus, whether in the finals, or along the way. Sure, another pressure in a pressure-filled USO for her that year, but I don't think that salient of a point, as a comparison. And then he said that Novak is not playing his home Slam, as Serena was. All due respect to JW, whom I like and respect, I think that is a completely bogus point. If anything, home court support is a benefit, not a disadvantage. But that's not even really my point. It's a Major, and the pressure to win is great there, any year, for elite players. If Serena had been a first time Major contender at the USO, you might cite the pressure of winning for US tennis. But she'd already won the Open 6 times before 2015.

Bottom line, I think there are plenty of good arguments for why Novak could win the US Open and complete the CYGS, but I don't think those two are among them. He's discounting the most recent example we have at an attempt via arguments that I don't think are that valid. I do think that the most likely reason that Novak would not win the US Open this year would be the pressure. It's what got Serena. And Novak is just not better than Serena, in terms of being a champion.

Reactions: Michael;Kiwi

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

...and you have another section of hatahs that wishes Nole will be so nervous, he'll blow this CYGS chance as Serena did back in 2015! Sure, there's plenty of pressure, but when isn't there when it comes to playing a major? Nole hasn't played a final since winning in 2018, and he's had an appropriate number of years between finals, so he's due! :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
...and you have another section of hatahs that wishes Nole will be so nervous, he'll blow this CYGS chance as Serena did back in 2015! Sure, there's plenty of pressure, but when isn't there when it comes to playing a major? Nole hasn't played a final since winning in 2018, and he's had an appropriate number of years between finals, so he's due! :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Well, that's one way of looking at it...he's due. I'm sorry, but it's not haters that are saying that there will be pressure. There will be pressure. And he's not the best at dealing with it.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Medvedev is now my No. 1 hope to win the US Open.

That's the shameful part of this thing we call an ATP race! Djokovic has lost a couple YE #1's on the last day of the season holding multiple majors! In 2016 he owned 2 completing his Nole-Slam, and was in the finals of a 3rd and the YEC finishing #2 behind Murray! Medvedev is still in the running this year with Nole's 3 majors setting himself up for immortality! It would be ridiculous if this were to happen again! :partying-face:

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
That's the shameful part of this thing we call an ATP race! Djokovic has lost a couple YE #1's on the last day of the season holding multiple majors! In 2016 he owned 2 completing his Nole-Slam, and was in the finals of a 3rd and the YEC finishing #2 behind Murray! Medvedev is still in the running this year with Nole's 3 majors setting himself up for immortality! It would be ridiculous if this were to happen again! :partying-face:
Whomever becomes No. 1 deserves it. Rankings are objectively based on numbers. It’s not a judged sport.

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
So you'll have no problem if Med snatches #1 at the end of the season regardless of what Djokovic has accomplished this season? :facepalm: :astonished-face: :-)2
Again, it’s all about math. My theoretically having a problem with Medvedev becoming No. 1 would be a judgement call, and it’s not a judged sport.

Reactions: Moxie

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well this is definitely Djokovic’s to lose. The question is with one of his biggest rivals removed does that add to the pressure or remove a little from Djokovic. The biggest advantage Djokovic gains is that we return to 5 sets which more than anyone works in his favor and against everyone else.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well this is definitely Djokovic’s to lose. The question is with one of his biggest rivals removed does that add to the pressure or remove a little from Djokovic. The biggest advantage Djokovic gains is that we return to 5 sets which more than anyone works in his favor and against everyone else.
At the USO in 2019, the commentators were speculating that, with Roger and Novak out, and Nadal facing a newbie finalist in Medvedev, that he seemed clearly to feel the pressure that the opportunity created. Because he would have known that such opportunities become much rarer. And he was uncharacteristically tight in that final. And that was "just" for one more Major. This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance, and Novak will know that. There's a lot of pressure on him, in any case, and who knows if it feels easier, the task, or more pressure, without Rafa (and Roger) in there.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Anyone know what Kyrgios pulled out of Winston-Salem?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rather fun to see Simon back on form against his younger countryman.