US Politics Thread

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, I did say something about how it would be interesting to watch what unfolds in the election and recent events have not disappointed. Now it looks like we have a majority of the people in the Democrat party coalescing around the VP. I wonder if there will be the date in September as was being bantered about a few weeks ago. It seems she is passively firing one towards the Israeli prime minister with respect to his addressing a joint session of Congress coming up by going to an event in Indiana. As expected, she is going to be more overtly in sync with the more progressive wing of the party.
Her event in Wisconsin was already scheduled. Remember, she only became the candidate for the top spot on Sunday. I wouldn't presume about how she plans to run just yet.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I stand corrected. I do not know why I thought I saw Indiana. At any rate, I know she is excited she feels like she just as to come out firing at the former Pres., but she stepped in it by wrongly talking about what project 2025 supposedly calls for, wrongly saying that Trump is all in with that and is going to implement all of that and wrongfully stated that Trump wants to cut Medicare and Social Security – – not one of those things is true and even her beloved CNN called her out on with respect to those claims being false and misleading. Yet, the money is pouring in. What is happening in the Middle East has the potential to spiral out of control and become a much bigger problem since the Houthis and Hezbollah continue to do what they like to do with the backing of Iran. I am of the view that she should have made an executive decision to preside over that joint session of Congress with the particular world leader who is at the center of all of this. The Pres., more than anything else, is about national security and international affairs – – not whether we should be spending more money on the Department of Education, not on state law Medicaid issues, not on issues that can only be solved by Congress, but on those things given to the executive branch by the United States Constitution. She should have been there and should have been interfacing with this particular world leader and the others about that serious situation I feel. I am sure the president met with him, and she should have too. These speeches to garner money can be set up anytime and she will have a lot of them. Bibi does not come over that often under these circumstances.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I stand corrected. I do not know why I thought I saw Indiana. At any rate, I know she is excited she feels like she just as to come out firing at the former Pres., but she stepped in it by wrongly talking about what project 2025 supposedly calls for, wrongly saying that Trump is all in with that and is going to implement all of that and wrongfully stated that Trump wants to cut Medicare and Social Security – – not one of those things is true and even her beloved CNN called her out on with respect to those claims being false and misleading. Yet, the money is pouring in. What is happening in the Middle East has the potential to spiral out of control and become a much bigger problem since the Houthis and Hezbollah continue to do what they like to do with the backing of Iran. I am of the view that she should have made an executive decision to preside over that joint session of Congress with the particular world leader who is at the center of all of this. The Pres., more than anything else, is about national security and international affairs – – not whether we should be spending more money on the Department of Education, not on state law Medicaid issues, not on issues that can only be solved by Congress, but on those things given to the executive branch by the United States Constitution. She should have been there and should have been interfacing with this particular world leader and the others about that serious situation I feel. I am sure the president met with him, and she should have too. These speeches to garner money can be set up anytime and she will have a lot of them. Bibi does not come over that often under these circumstances.
I wasn't even actually correcting you and didn't realize we'd said different states. I just went to make sure that she really did have it on her calendar previously, which is what I had heard, and read "Michigan," so that's what I wrote. As to your point that she would have looked "presidential" to be there, I agree. However, as I have said before, the war in Palestine is a political 3rd rail and I think she was lucky to have somewhere else to be. She's got to find her own voice on that one, and I'd say she gets a little time.

As to the first part of your post, I didn't hear the speech and don't know what she said, but I think it's funny that you call her out for "misspeaking" on the 2025 manifesto, and Trump cutting Medicare and Social Security. Trump blatantly lied in the debate, and in his speech at the convention, just to call out the most recent examples, w/re: to the Dem's positions/record, and I don't seem to remember you posting about that. I mean, if you're so concerned with truth in public discourse.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I will sincerely tell you something about the rhetoric on all sides, particularly with respect to the political discourse. What used to be called misleading or inaccurate is now routinely called a lie or a fabrication. It became extremely apparent that the media routinely applied those words to the former Pres. and I can certainly not defend some of the things he has said that were unnecessary and blatantly wrong. I wish he would showed up about the 2020 election because, unless you were successful in getting certain results overturned in a court of law, it is a waste of time and annoying to keep saying it. In terms of other alleged lies he said during the debate, I do not know which ones to which you refer, but most people, including Donald Trump and Joe Biden, operate off different play books with statistics and poles from different organizations and I don't consider that necessarily to be a bunch of fabrications. Talking about the 2020 election being stolen and that there was cheating and all of that, that is attired old complaint and it should be shelved permanently in my view. But I do think Mrs. Harris was clearly inaccurate and same false things about what Trump stands for on some of those issues. What Trump says about her role in being the borders are, though, I do not think were a bunch of lies or fabrications – – I think he is largely telling the truth and even the current Pres. came around to change his policies to make the more consistent with that of the former Pres. because that situation down there is so out of hand that you have to do something and clearly what the Biden administration was doing was basically incentivized millions to come over here illegally. Trump does not have a problem with legal emigration, it is the illegal aliens and the he pounds on any time these undocumented and illegally present people commit violent crimes in this country. Does he over do it? That he talked about how only rapists and criminals and same people are being sent over, which is not true? Yes, he does and I think he could dial that back, but its hardball politics – that is just like the other side going on and on about various things concerning him and being in insurrection is that all that kind of stuff, which is not true and he was not in insurrectionist and he did not try to overthrow the government.

So, Moxie, I have no problem calling out the guy I voted for over Biden. I recall Mrs. Harris in the position she took in the past and she is going to have some problems down the road. Trump is a known article. Some of his policies are effective and benefit this nation – – I just was he would keep his mouth closed more often and stopped sending asinine tweets and other messages that may can look like a petulant child. But he does have some good points in terms of the economy, taxes, the border, international fairs, etc. I am confident you disagree with everything I say. But that's okay. We will see what happens at the ballot box or in the US Mail. :)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I will sincerely tell you something about the rhetoric on all sides, particularly with respect to the political discourse. What used to be called misleading or inaccurate is now routinely called a lie or a fabrication. It became extremely apparent that the media routinely applied those words to the former Pres. and I can certainly not defend some of the things he has said that were unnecessary and blatantly wrong. I wish he would showed up about the 2020 election because, unless you were successful in getting certain results overturned in a court of law, it is a waste of time and annoying to keep saying it. In terms of other alleged lies he said during the debate, I do not know which ones to which you refer, but most people, including Donald Trump and Joe Biden, operate off different play books with statistics and poles from different organizations and I don't consider that necessarily to be a bunch of fabrications. Talking about the 2020 election being stolen and that there was cheating and all of that, that is attired old complaint and it should be shelved permanently in my view. But I do think Mrs. Harris was clearly inaccurate and same false things about what Trump stands for on some of those issues. What Trump says about her role in being the borders are, though, I do not think were a bunch of lies or fabrications – – I think he is largely telling the truth and even the current Pres. came around to change his policies to make the more consistent with that of the former Pres. because that situation down there is so out of hand that you have to do something and clearly what the Biden administration was doing was basically incentivized millions to come over here illegally. Trump does not have a problem with legal emigration, it is the illegal aliens and the he pounds on any time these undocumented and illegally present people commit violent crimes in this country. Does he over do it? That he talked about how only rapists and criminals and same people are being sent over, which is not true? Yes, he does and I think he could dial that back, but its hardball politics – that is just like the other side going on and on about various things concerning him and being in insurrection is that all that kind of stuff, which is not true and he was not in insurrectionist and he did not try to overthrow the government.

So, Moxie, I have no problem calling out the guy I voted for over Biden. I recall Mrs. Harris in the position she took in the past and she is going to have some problems down the road. Trump is a known article. Some of his policies are effective and benefit this nation – – I just was he would keep his mouth closed more often and stopped sending asinine tweets and other messages that may can look like a petulant child. But he does have some good points in terms of the economy, taxes, the border, international fairs, etc. I am confident you disagree with everything I say. But that's okay. We will see what happens at the ballot box or in the US Mail. :)
Can you list 10 of Trump's policies that benefit the nation?

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The tax cuts--people had more income and businesses were pleased as well. It led to a plethora of additional benefits in the markets and credit fields.

His policies on macroecomics did well for the markets and the unemployment rates of many went down. Inflation was low throughout his term as well.

No major wars broke out--maybe it was because he was considered a wild card or he was just lucky.

He bluffed western Europe into paying more of their agreed to fair share of percentage of GDP into NATO and that is reaping benefits even now with the Russian invasion and war in Ukraine.

His border policies with the southern border were a resounding success and Biden has taken a page from his book recently--not because he wanted to, but because of political expediency.

Tariffs has some benefit and did not kill the economy as some said.

He allocated proper funds to speed up the vaccine process with the coronavirus and rightly shut down the borders quickly (all while being called a xenophobe and racist as to Chinese people)

There are more but I must leave for lunch with "the missus" (as Brother Kieran is fond of saying)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I don't even agree with MOST of what you say, though, on policy and Trump being good for the country and effective, no. I won't fact check what he says for you, but I suggest you google it a bit. It's not just your run-of-the-mill politician spin.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The tax cuts--people had more income and businesses were pleased as well. It led to a plethora of additional benefits in the markets and credit fields.
His tax cuts benefitted the wealthy. Personally, I'm doing much better now, in terms of the markets, under Biden. A LOT better. When you cut taxes on the wealthy, you tend to get short-term benefits. But you pay for them in the long-term. I think Biden has done a good job of righting that, especially inheriting the economy ravaged by Covid, and not bringing the inflation that was direly predicted. I'm sure you can see that.
His policies on macroecomics did well for the markets and the unemployment rates of many went down. Inflation was low throughout his term as well.
I'll take your word on this.

No major wars broke out--maybe it was because he was considered a wild card or he was just lucky.
Maybe he WAS lucky, but we were still in Afghanistan.

He bluffed western Europe into paying more of their agreed to fair share of percentage of GDP into NATO and that is reaping benefits even now with the Russian invasion and war in Ukraine.
Somewhat. But his stance on NATO is a HUGE negative with a lot of people here, and all of Western Europe. Not to mention his inclination to embrace authoritarians like Putin and Orban. That doesn't bother you?

His border policies with the southern border were a resounding success and Biden has taken a page from his book recently--not because he wanted to, but because of political expediency.
"Resounding success" seems an overstatement. The problems at the border didn't start with him, nor did he end them. If they'd actually have been a success, Biden would have had nothing to worry about. Additionally, he lied about having Mexico pay for his "wall." He has also lied about how much more he built, which is basically nothing. Mostly he/we just paid to fix walls that existed already.

No opinion.
He allocated proper funds to speed up the vaccine process with the coronavirus and rightly shut down the borders quickly (all while being called a xenophobe and racist as to Chinese people)
I think one of the best things he did was to fast-track the vaccine against Covid. Which he has since disavowed, I believe. You do have to say that comments like "Kung Flu" are inappropriate and unpresidential. He DOES say horrible and xenophobic things. And racist things. Again...you ok with that? You've ever posted that we shouldn't take everything he says at face value. Why not? Why should he get a pass? Are you fine with the notion that he'll be a "dictator for a day?" And what if he doesn't mean, "for a day?" What if that's just one of his "Trumpisms?" What if by "a day" he means "four years?" His notion of the presidency is equivalent to his understanding of what it is to be the CEO of a company, in that that means he has absolute say. He was frustrated in his first term by people who told him he couldn't do things, because they weren't legal or within Presidential powers. He's used to skimming around stuff like that. (Thus, a lot of legal procedures against him.) His notion of a second-term is to get rid of all of those voices of reason, and install a bunch of "yes-men." With the Supreme Court behind him, I do actually worry if we'd ever see the end of him. Don't kid yourself. He'd love to be Vladimir Putin or Fidel Castro.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I thought it was Biden you objected to. What's your beef with Kamala? Or, is it just that you prefer the authoritarian, anti-NATO Trump? Are you thinking this barrage of internet crap is going to change anyone's vote over here?

PS: I'm not sure about anyone else, but I am not watching these videos that you post, with no commentary as to what they actually contain. You might consider stop wasting the bandwidth and just express your own opinion. :)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought it was Biden you objected to. What's your beef with Kamala? Or, is it just that you prefer the authoritarian, anti-NATO Trump? Are you thinking this barrage of internet crap is going to change anyone's vote over here?

PS: I'm not sure about anyone else, but I am not watching these videos that you post, with no commentary as to what they actually contain. You might consider stop wasting the bandwidth and just express your own opinion. :)
No, much of the US would vote a for cabbage. You already did with Biden...
Trump is not authoritarian. That's a load of bs. If you can't see she's not fit to be anywhere near the white house, I've nothing more to say.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, much of the US would vote a for cabbage. You already did with Biden...
Then you should probably give up. Or stop spamming us with crap.
Trump is not authoritarian. That's a load of bs.
Definition of "Authoritarian": "of, relating to, or favoring a concentration of power in a leader or an elite not constitutionally responsible to the people."

Trump has remade the Republican party in his own image. He has assigned himself its leader, to the level of messianic, as in "I, alone, can fix it." He demands 100% fealty. Those who oppose him are out. And, yes, he tried to upend the Constitution to remain in power. He still refuses to concede that he lost the election in 2020. He fomented insurrection, and hung his VP out to dry. This doesn't sound authoritarian to you? I'd say it's at least debatable.
If you can't see she's not fit to be anywhere near the white house, I've nothing more to say.
I'd love it if you'd have nothing more to say about Kamala. But what are the chances? Just spare me the endless videos. If you have something to say, I'd prefer it if you'd use your own words. I'm not interested in homework assignments. Don't hide behind other people's words, please. There is a lot going on right now. No one really needs a barrage of videos or memes. Try saying what you mean, for a change. If you actually have an opinion of your own, why not state it?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here's a video with something for everyone. And I will provide the context, and offer you reasons to watch, or not. Pete Buttigieg on Bill Maher. @shawnbm likes him as VP pick for the Dems. Here he addresses why the Republicans are good for rich guys. Also, he does mention that Trump is an authoritarian, indirectly. That's for you @Front242. See how helpful when you offer a reason for posting a video?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Then you should probably give up. Or stop spamming us with crap.

Definition of "Authoritarian": "of, relating to, or favoring a concentration of power in a leader or an elite not constitutionally responsible to the people."

Trump has remade the Republican party in his own image. He has assigned himself its leader, to the level of messianic, as in "I, alone, can fix it." He demands 100% fealty. Those who oppose him are out. And, yes, he tried to upend the Constitution to remain in power. He still refuses to concede that he lost the election in 2020. He fomented insurrection, and hung his VP out to dry. This doesn't sound authoritarian to you? I'd say it's at least debatable.

I'd love it if you'd have nothing more to say about Kamala. But what are the chances? Just spare me the endless videos. If you have something to say, I'd prefer it if you'd use your own words. I'm not interested in homework assignments. Don't hide behind other people's words, please. There is a lot going on right now. No one really needs a barrage of videos or memes. Try saying what you mean, for a change. If you actually have an opinion of your own, why not state it?
When you see the lengths the "democrats" have gone to try and bury Trump both in court and now the recent assassination attempt it's not a reach at to say the 2020 voting was rigged. It's clear what these people are capable of. To quote Trump: "These are bad people, these are sick people." I was on the fence about the rigged voting before, not anymore.

Spare me the nonsense about writing about Kamala Harris instead of videos. You need to watch videos to see she's a liar, a hypocrite and a horrible person and not fit for the job. You don't need to state a reason for posting a video btw. The person watching can draw their own conclusions unless they're blinded like many of you were and probably still are about Biden. If you watch the video of him calling Zelenskyy Putin and Kamala Harris vice president Trump, do you really need to explain what it's about?!

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When you see the lengths the "democrats" have gone to try and bury Trump both in court and now the recent assassination attempt it's not a reach at to say the 2020 voting was rigged. It's clear what these people are capable of. To quote Trump: "These are bad people, these are sick people." I was on the fence about the rigged voting before, not anymore.
Most every time you use the phrase "it's not a reach..." you follow it by making a huge leap in logic. And in this case you start with one/two as well. Even Shawn above, who supports Trump, doesn't believe the election was rigged.
Spare me the nonsense about writing about Kamala Harris instead of videos. You need to watch videos to see she's a liar, a hypocrite and a horrible person and not fit for the job. You don't need to state a reason for posting a video btw. The person watching can draw their own conclusions unless they're blinded like many of you were and probably still are about Biden. If you watch the video of him calling Zelenskyy Putin and Kamala Harris vice president Trump, do you really need to explain what it's about?!
My suggestion was only that you tell us what the video contains, which would be a help. I'm not just clicking on random videos you post. OK, let's face it...I probably won't watch any of the crap you post, especially as I see the drivel you believe, above. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe you might have the grey matter to work out what these are about, Moxie without me having to provide a synopsis...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

There are more but I must leave for lunch with "the missus" (as Brother Kieran is fond of saying)
The statistics for the entirety of Donald Trump’s time in office

• The economy lost 2.7 million jobs. The unemployment rate increased by 1.7 percentage points to 6.4%.
  • Paychecks grew faster than inflation. Average weekly earnings for all workers were up 8.4% after inflation.
  • After-tax corporate profits went up, and the stock market set new records. The S&P 500 index rose 67.8%.
  • The international trade deficit Trump promised to reduce went up. The U.S. trade deficit in goods and services in 2020 was the highest since 2008 and increased 36.3% from 2016.
  • The number of people lacking health insurance rose by 3 million.
  • The federal debt held by the public went up, from $14.4 trillion to $21.6 trillion.
  • Home prices rose 27.5%, and the homeownership rate increased 2.1 percentage points to 65.8%.
  • Illegal immigration increased. Apprehensions at the Southwest border rose 14.7% last year compared with 2016.
  • Coal production declined 26.5%, and coal-mining jobs dropped by 25%. Carbon emissions from energy consumption dropped 11.3%.
  • Handgun production rose 12.5% last year compared with 2016, setting a new record.
  • The murder rate last year rose to the highest level since 1997.
  • Trump filled one-third of the Supreme Court, nearly 30% of the appellate court seats and a quarter of District Court seats
  • During the Trump administration, there were no new major overseas wars or invasions. But during his presidency, there were still conflicts within Israel and between Russia and Ukraine. For example, Russia was intervening militarily in the Ukraine’s Donbas region throughout Trump’s administration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Maybe you might have the grey matter to work out what these are about, Moxie without me having to provide a synopsis...

No, because that would require my clicking on them.

"Media Failing to Discuss The Kamala Harris...." tells me nothing. Nor does "Nicole Malliotakis: Why Kamala Harris is a Wors...." At least you could fill out the headlines for me. Is that too much to ask?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I don't think most of you can read this, as it's behind the NYT paywall. But if you're interested, @shawnbm, or anyone else, I can gift you the article. PM me.

You're kidding? Who TF would pay $$ to hear Trump say anything? I'd cough up 10 cents just fo hear him admit his faults & agree he's guilty of anything & everything! Of course that ain't happening! The man will DIE with a lie on his lips! He just can't help himself!:exploding-head::yawningface::face-with-symbols-on-mouth::angry-face::astonished-face:

• Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46