US Politics Thread

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
hope to see more of this. I know the likes of Mattis won't do this as former military but why can't someone like Tillerson, a former businessman, who isn't supposed to be apolitical stand up like this? Or Gary Cohen for that matter? Fingers crossed they do, and with Comey like timing!

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This was my fear going into the debate . Biden had no business debating a habitual liar.. with the CNN mods not fact checking Trump lies, his lies will eventually seem like the truth

Biden really had no business debating tonight. That was sad.. The man answered every question but his delivery wasnt fast enough. He just looked too feeble to deal with Lying Trump.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Gavin Newsome! No way the Democrats are going to chance having a Black Woman Kamala Harris against Maga Convicted Felon Trump.. Shame on the Democrats..

Gavin has so much potential, but he shoots himself in the foot all the time! In these days & times he can probably get away w/ it though! He's following Bill Clinton's lead being a serial philanderer; early and often! He fooled around w/ his campaign manager's wife! He's been married several times; a few years w/ that loon Kimberly Gilfoyle! He was busted going to the French Laundry Restaurant during the P@ndemic among other things over the years! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
obviously I'm on the other side of the pond. I was sleeping. For some reason I woke up just as it started. I saw Biden barely able to get his words out, the whole trillionaire billionaire thing. It was fucking painful. Do I think Biden is too old? YES! Do I think if he were to win the election he would govern effectively? YES! Do I think Trump is fit to serve? NO! But what I think really doesn't matter. I think a lot of Americans would have been put off by Biden's performance yesterday. What I don't know is if that's a good enough reason to vote for Trump. That's the issue for the American people. And it fucking terrifies me. Nothing happened yesterday - in my opinion - that changes my view that Trump is NOT fit to serve. For those Americans who are undecided or put off by Biden... is that reason enough to vote for Trump. That's the question... and I won't lie... I'm sweating oceans here...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Gavin has so much potential, but he shoots himself in the foot all the time! In these days & times he can probably get away w/ it though! He's following Bill Clinton's lead being a serial philanderer; early and often! He fooled around w/ his campaign manager's wife! He's been married several times; a few years w/ that loon Kimberly Gilfoyle! He was busted going to the French Laundry Restaurant during the P@ndemic among other things over the years! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:
there's no perfect candidate for the Democrats, Republicans or Independent.

Reactions: Fiero425

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm intrigued to see if there's any attempt by Dems to alter the narrative about the debates. They should be talking about Trump. Challenging the lies etc. I suspect they'll be pathetic and fractured in their response. Say what you want about the GOP, they would have plotted out unified messaging BEFORE the debate. In this case of course they don't even have to say anything. But a bit of alternative facts is needed by Dems here. Biden really shat the bed, they could at least blame Amber Heard or something :D

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
where the hell was this energy yesterday?? Seriously! I want to know

Biden must have missed out on his afternoon NAP! It had to happen to the old guy! Every performance couldn't be great; esp. after that magnificent State Of The Union effort! If our country is willing to judge Biden too harshly now & resign to support Trump, maybe we deserve to "go under!" If we're that stupid, I have no words for us! As I've said, as a Senior, I had to just relax & let society flounder as "the times," social media, & rampant disengenuousness amongst all institutions run the country into the ground! We're truly a screwed up society! :face-with-head-bandage: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :angry-face:

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
obviously I'm on the other side of the pond. I was sleeping. For some reason I woke up just as it started. I saw Biden barely able to get his words out, the whole trillionaire billionaire thing. It was fucking painful. Do I think Biden is too old? YES! Do I think if he were to win the election he would govern effectively? YES! Do I think Trump is fit to serve? NO! But what I think really doesn't matter. I think a lot of Americans would have been put off by Biden's performance yesterday. What I don't know is if that's a good enough reason to vote for Trump. That's the issue for the American people. And it fucking terrifies me. Nothing happened yesterday - in my opinion - that changes my view that Trump is NOT fit to serve. For those Americans who are undecided or put off by Biden... is that reason enough to vote for Trump. That's the question... and I won't lie... I'm sweating oceans here...
100% agree. Biden had a cold, which was unfortunate, though he should have just said. I don't know what to say about that poor performance, though. He needed to convince the undecideds and fence-sitters that he's fit to serve 4 more years, and last night would have put them off. Does that mean that some will vote for Trump instead? Some. Some may decide to stay home. Some may decide to vote 3rd party.

I watched with one of my brothers who is not unwilling to consider Trump. He didn't think either candidate was very good. (We were both rolling our eyes when it devolved into comparing their pars in golf. Any questions that they're both too old for the job?!) My other brother listened on the radio. He said this: "I thought Biden sounded reasonable (though old) while Trump was his usual lying crazy self. I think Biden's a good President but he's not very good at playing the part of the President on TV." Just an interesting point, I thought, especially as he listened to what they said, without watching how they looked.

I'm going to ruminate a bit over what the Dems should do, but I'm pretty angry at the party. They could have taken Biden at his word, that he'd be a one-term president, and have groomed a successor. They could have at least swapped out the unpopular Kamala Harris as running mate. Yes, these are not usual choices, but neither are these usual times. Trump threw decorum and old-school political norms out the window a long time ago. They should know that by now.

Biden had a much better day today. But does that mean that, at his age, he's more prone to good days and bad days? That's a concern. I absolutely agree with you that Biden and his team would make better stewards on the domestic and international stage than Trump and MAGA, for the next 4 years, but I'm not the one they have to convince. I really do wonder if the Dems will regroup and pose other options by the convention. That's the deadline. The next scheduled debate is after the convention. That's too late to regain voter confidence, and, frankly, if I were Trump, I'd refuse to debate Biden again. He can only lose ground.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
that said.. Biden did get some good hits in. Morals of an alley cat:face-with-tears-of-joy:
Surely he had this prepared. What I don't get is how many of the other things that surely would have been prepared, like countering Trump's blatant falsehoods, that he couldn't come up with. Also, why not hit your own agenda harder? Frankly, both Trump and Biden finished answers with more time on the clock. They are both tired old men.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Gavin Newsome! No way the Democrats are going to chance having a Black Woman Kamala Harris against Maga Convicted Felon Trump.. Shame on the Democrats..
Gavin Newsome is too California for the centrists. Gretchen Whitmer is at least Michigan. Neither is tested on the national stage. (Yes, shame on Democrats for not figuring out a successor sooner!) However, if they shit-can the unpopular Kamala Harris, it looks bad in a lot of ways. They should have done that before. (For the record, I think she gets a bad rap, but it doesn't matter, at this point.) It would take a lot of catching up for the Dems to come up with a new candidate by the convention. Biden would have to step back, with a REALLY good speech, and endorse one person, IMO. It can't be a fight at the convention. But, as we have argued here, if either party put up someone other than Biden and Trump, they could win. But that was in the past. I'm not sure if the Dems, looking like they are desperate, can change course, plausibly, now. It's going to take a lot of cleaver politics, and so far, the Democrats don't seem to be up to the task.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Gavin Newsome is too California for the centrists. Gretchen Whitmer is at least Michigan. Neither is tested on the national stage. (Yes, shame on Democrats for not figuring out a successor sooner!) However, if they shit-can the unpopular Kamala Harris, it looks bad in a lot of ways. They should have done that before. (For the record, I think she gets a bad rap, but it doesn't matter, at this point.) It would take a lot of catching up for the Dems to come up with a new candidate by the convention. Biden would have to step back, with a REALLY good speech, and endorse one person, IMO. It can't be a fight at the convention. But, as we have argued here, if either party put up someone other than Biden and Trump, they could win. But that was in the past. I'm not sure if the Dems, looking like they are desperate, can change course, plausibly, now. It's going to take a lot of cleaver politics, and so far, the Democrats don't seem to be up to the task.
It's deja vu! We'll be in Chicago for an all out battle at the Democratic Convention just like in '68! I can already see the growing riots being formed in such turbulant times! This country has always been the "definition" of insanity; seeking a different result from a premise that makes no sense! Republicans continue to think lowering taxes will save our economy no matter how many times the Dems have to save us from their incompetence! I need to stop before my head starts to explode! :angry-face: :face-with-head-bandage: :astonished-face: :fearful-face:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
100% agree. Biden had a cold, which was unfortunate, though he should have just said. I don't know what to say about that poor performance, though. He needed to convince the undecideds and fence-sitters that he's fit to serve 4 more years, and last night would have put them off. Does that mean that some will vote for Trump instead? Some. Some may decide to stay home. Some may decide to vote 3rd party.

I watched with one of my brothers who is not unwilling to consider Trump. He didn't think either candidate was very good. (We were both rolling our eyes when it devolved into comparing their pars in golf. Any questions that they're both too old for the job?!) My other brother listened on the radio. He said this: "I thought Biden sounded reasonable (though old) while Trump was his usual lying crazy self. I think Biden's a good President but he's not very good at playing the part of the President on TV." Just an interesting point, I thought, especially as he listened to what they said, without watching how they looked.

I'm going to ruminate a bit over what the Dems should do, but I'm pretty angry at the party. They could have taken Biden at his word, that he'd be a one-term president, and have groomed a successor. They could have at least swapped out the unpopular Kamala Harris as running mate. Yes, these are not usual choices, but neither are these usual times. Trump threw decorum and old-school political norms out the window a long time ago. They should know that by now.

Biden had a much better day today. But does that mean that, at his age, he's more prone to good days and bad days? That's a concern. I absolutely agree with you that Biden and his team would make better stewards on the domestic and international stage than Trump and MAGA, for the next 4 years, but I'm not the one they have to convince. I really do wonder if the Dems will regroup and pose other options by the convention. That's the deadline. The next scheduled debate is after the convention. That's too late to regain voter confidence, and, frankly, if I were Trump, I'd refuse to debate Biden again. He can only lose ground.
Biden did have a significant much better day on Friday in NC.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46