US Politics Thread

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
oh wow! I didn't realise that the Governor of Georgia doesn't have pardon power for state convictions. Trump is in trouubbbbbbleeee...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
oh wow! I didn't realise that the Governor of Georgia doesn't have pardon power for state convictions. Trump is in trouubbbbbbleeee...
Nor could any President pardon him, since this would be on the state (not federal) level.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
oh I hear you. And I know you're right, and I'm assuming an ideal world. But his comments about immediately pardoning Trump are so blatantly self serving, it offends me. It's just the part of politics I've grown to loathe :)
lol! To further my point... Vivek a political rival of Trump (allegedly) is offering to be his lawyer to defend him against these charges. I just want to :face-vomiting:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
yes I took that as a given, and assumed that everyone on here was aware of that :)
Yes, I knew you knew, but I’m never sure how much of this stuff is known by even US citizens nevertheless the rest of the world, so I think it’s worth pointing out certain things to be sure everyone is on the same page. Some think the president could pardon anyone for anything, which is not true, of course.

Reactions: Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This is really bad. I hope this gets challenged at the SC so that a decision at the Federal level is made. Otherwise it’s the end of democracy in the US

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^I would also add that given Trump was never going to win California, this is monumentally stupid politically

tented

Administrator
Reactions
This is really bad. I hope this gets challenged at the SC so that a decision at the Federal level is made. Otherwise it’s the end of democracy in the US

This is fake news. Search Fox News’ website or twitter account, and you won’t find it.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
well I'll be damned. Go Niki Haley! Got me excited when she put Vivek in his place. She's gone up in my estimation just a smidge. Biggest disappointment of the night? Chris Christie. Seems to me his purpose is defeating Trump, not winning the nomination. Without his target in sight he didn't know what to do

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
well I'll be damned. Go Niki Haley! Got me excited when she put Vivek in his place. She's gone up in my estimation just a smidge. Biggest disappointment of the night? Chris Christie. Seems to me his purpose is defeating Trump, not winning the nomination. Without his target in sight he didn't know what to do
I must say, I love the spectacle of big debates. The artificiality doesn’t damage them, the rehearsed quality doesn’t make them less interesting. They’re a test of nerve but the best part is hoping to see a “Senator, you’re no John Kennedy” moment. We’ve had some turgid ones in Ireland. Like listening to the minutes being read. I think it’s a healthy sign, politically, when they’re charged and slightly rowdy…

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
De Santi certainly didn't stand out at all, he was “generic” which I suppose is damning with faint praise

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I would probably count that as a victory for De Santis in a way. Although the fact that everyone acted like Vivek was the threat was telling. Pence didn't do too badly either actually

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I would probably count that as a victory for De Santis in a way. Although the fact that everyone acted like Vivek was the threat was telling. Pence didn't do too badly either actually
Yeah, and each of them made good points against him and it was like water off a ducks back. He’s quite interesting in long form discussions. Have watched large parts of his discussions with Douglas Murray and Colion Noir on YouTube, on meritocracy, national identity and the importance of the constitution, and he’s clearly got a vision he believes in.

I think the non-politicians are often the compelling figures in these things, simply because they’re unfiltered and not compromised in all the ways he accused the others of being. He’s likeable too. He’ll definitely get a bump after this..

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Obama was a relatively unknown politician but he had political skills , including being an articulate good public speaker, so like others his leap to the White House followed the path of most politicians. Be a governor, senator, etc with *some* track record, the only other path is win a war with a military record like Ike.

Trump was the exception, but people forget Trump was a public figure for 30+ years, a brand name with a name recognition most politicians would die for. Most Americans were versed in his ways for decades.

You can’t redo “Trump” all that easily with neophytes that no one has heard of.

Reactions: Moxie

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Obama was a relatively unknown politician but he had political skills , including being an articulate good public speaker, so like others his leap to the White House followed the path of most politicians. Be a governor, senator, etc with *some* track record, the only other path is win a war with a military record like Ike.

Trump was the exception, but people forget Trump was a public figure for 30+ years, a brand name with a name recognition most politicians would die for. Most Americans were versed in his ways for decades.

You can’t redo “Trump” all that easily with neophytes that no one has heard of.
Agreed. That can work once, doubt it'll work again. I don't think Vivek is targeting POTUS. I think he's all about getting the VP spot

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed. That can work once, doubt it'll work again. I don't think Vivek is targeting POTUS. I think he's all about getting the VP spot
Personally, I thought he was just trying to sell his brand. He's a bit of a kook.

One that did not make the cut was Will Hurd, from south Texas. I think he's a reasonable and interesting voice.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46